Yamato movie. Reminds me of...

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
I'm not really familiar with the original Space Battleship Yamato anime, but apparently the japanese are making a 20 million dollar live action version they hope will appeal to English audiences. http://yamato-movie.com/

Here's a brief TVspot that showed up online. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBu1cZm4GqgThe first thing that struck me was just how much the CG, spaceships, and set design remind me of the Wing Commander movie.

昭和49年第一話の放映当時のオリジナルの初代ヤマト以外は眼中 に無いファンの者です。
女、子供は無視して欲しい。
大人の男の感性に訴求する、シリアスな演出、台詞をお願いします !

"I really like it alot !" :D

That should be good! I used to love that show (especially how much they made the Yamato look like the old WW2 battleship class.)

That's pretty cool, and I see the connection a bit. Only $20 million? That's a smaller budget than Wing Commander had.

That's pretty cool, and I see the connection a bit. Only $20 million? That's a smaller budget than Wing Commander had.

This looks really impressive, i agree... I just hope they don't end it the way they originally intended to. Earth destroyed and entire crew dead, talk about a downer.

The style from the anime looks exactly like that from "Robotech", oh well, at least this ship does not turn into a giant robot:p.

CGI looks awesome, and as for budget-wise, I think Japanese costs to produce a movie like this would be a lot lower.

This is good. If it is well done. Yamato/Star Blazers (in the U.S.) was a great show for its day. It was famous for a lot of firsts, including the first serial cartoon to be released in the U.S.

Also, while I have no proof or inside knowledge of this, I would be absolutely shocked if it had not served in some way as inspiration to the Origin team when they created Wing Commander. They would be just about the right age to have grown up loving it (roughly the same age as my older sister, who introduced me to it).

Actually wing commander's concept reminds me of an offensive version of the original Battlestar Galactica(the uniforms and humor), and a whole lot of the sci-fi series "Space: Above and beyond"(flying by the seat of your pants against an alien menace thats kinda equal in tech)

I just checked and you are correct, but I always thought SAAB was from 1989/1990(like the game "epic" from ocean)... Mainly because of the textures(or lack of) on the capships(WC3 actually looks better then the SAAB CGI)

I was watching the pilot episode with my best friend, when the briefing scene came up, and he said, "Dude, this is straight out of wing commander!(1)", after were done laughing during a commercial break about the "full metal jacket instructor"

Keep in mind that I live in the Netherlands, where before common internet access we were at least two years(often more!) behind on television show seasons that were showing on your networks, for instance you could buy "enterprise" on VHS here, while Voyager was still in it's second season.

I believe I saw the show before playing wing commander 3, which I was late to, because I had to wait for a computer exhibition to buy the needed hardware to upgrade my computer for the game.

As for BSG, I believe there was some rumor about Origin trying to obtain the license to build a game around that series in 1989?

As for BSG, I believe there was some rumor about Origin trying to obtain the license to build a game around that series in 1989?

I'm pretty sure it was the Star Wars License they were after.

No one... anywhere... wanted the BSG license in 1989. :)

There's a later connection--one of the entities that produced the Wing Commander movie (No Prisoners, I think) had what eventually became the Battlestar Galactica remake for a while. There was a rumor that Chris Roberts and Digital Anvil were involved, which the fellow in charge of the production company denied.

No one... anywhere... wanted the BSG license in 1989. :)

There's a later connection--one of the entities that produced the Wing Commander movie (No Prisoners, I think) had what eventually became the Battlestar Galactica remake for a while. There was a rumor that Chris Roberts and Digital Anvil were involved, which the fellow in charge of the production company denied.

I haven't had a look in a long time but I know there are two sets of additional artwork in the HOG files from Starlancer (Digital Anvil). One set includes artwork for the traditional Lucas Arts logo from X-Wing and TIE Fighter and various other pieces about a Star Wars Flight Simulator (though most of the details are missing) and the other contains some artwork of a Viper.

The story goes, related to me in an email from one of the developers at Digital Anvil, the studio was at the time pitching ideas for other games to the license holders of said content with the same engine as Starlancer, and that at one time or another some working demos were created (but not included in the Starlancer HOG files). He has no idea how any of those files ended up being released with the game, but they were odd enough to make me want to ask him where they came from.

Okay, we're going to level with you on this one: our site's CMS has a section called 'skeleton' where we put ideas for future Wing Commander updates. If we don't have time to write up an article or find screenshots, we'll leave notes for other CIC staff members. We update every day, so we work together to make sure there's something interesting.

So way back in 2009, a live action film adapting the classic Battleship Yamato anime was released in Japan. AD watched a trailer and noticed that it was visually similar to the 1999 Wing Commander movie. He grabbed some screenshots from both the trailer and Wing Commander and put them into our skeleton pile.

And there they sat waiting... and waiting... and waiting. In 2014, the film was released in the United States. But no one wanted to write the Battleship Yamato update. So again it waited... and waited. Now, almost nine years after the film itself came out and with a fervent desire to clear out old updates we present you with... this. Enjoy! It's history's problem now!

Submarines in Space

The Bridge

Shipboard UI

Weapons Systems

Lasers and Torpedoes

Battleships in Space

--
Original update published on October 11, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocking coincidence: I filed this two weekends ago... and then was at a Bar Citizen event on Tuesday night where someone brought up the live action Yamato movie to Chris Roberts! Just a weird cosmic... thing.

Back