yall know I love my poll topics and heres one that I really want to know what yall think...

Jdawg

Commodore
Wing commander is famous and awesome for oh so many reasons and one of those reasons is your home base carriers. So I have been wondering what are yalls fav home bases and why. I will put mine like this

4. TCS Victory- This might seem low to some, and even for myself I went back and forth on where to put this ship. as others have said they felt like they really knew the crew and ever nut and bolt of the ship and I felt the same way. Victory had my fav comm officer in Radio Rollins, and it was a great ship but at the end of the day I like 3 others better.

3. Intrepid- I adore this ship mostly bc its the underdog cap ship from the start. lets be honest if it was a confed ship it would have already been de commissioned lol, but to me that adds to the charm. Plus its the dichotomy between the start of the game to when you arrive on the Intrepid. At the start of wc4 when you are going thru the halls of the Lexington to capt. eisen's cabin, it just looks so plush and eisens cabin looks like it belonged on a cruise ship. then you go to the Intrepid and the ship is half blown to bits and you are sleeping in the cargo bays, and you have a makeshift CIC, all that just makes the atmosphere to me. its the little ship that can. Plus once again I really like the comm officer sosa. Also it helps this is the first time in WC that you can sort of pick and choose where your cap ship goes and what missions you do.

2. TCS Tigersclaw- Im guessing this prob ranks one on most list and I can see why, one it has a bad ass name I mean come on the Tiger's claw damn thats awesome. its so great wc3 is partially named heart of the tiger bc of it. the second reason I love this ship is bc of the design, I just really like the way it looks, with its long sleek design. Plus I love the landing animation, so cool.

1. TCS Concordia- This is my fav home base carrier for many reasons. I like the design of it, and I love love love the takeoff and landing animations so cool, the animations still hold up today. one reason its over the tigers claw is simply bc I felt like we got to see more areas of the ship via the cutscenes, and all the locations looked great. The main reason its number one on my list though is bc that ship could easily defend itself. Routinely when it was attacked the concordia would take out one or two enemy fighters with no problem. in fact the gunners on the ship were so good I would have rather had the concordia as my wingman than a lot of the wingmen in wc2; jazz, stingray, and hobbes im looking at you lol. Also once again I liked the comm officer on the ship, and that one scene in SO2 where concordia blows that enemy cap ship out the sky is amazing. Plus in one mission the concordia took on two enemy cap ships with no problem, and all you had to do was sit back and enjoy the show.

I do find it interesting that throughout the entire series you never stayed on the same cap ship for more than one game you were constantly shifting for various reasons.

so thats my list whats yours??

I do find it interesting that throughout the entire series you never stayed on the same cap ship for more than one game you were constantly shifting for various reasons.

Remember that Blair spent a matter of years on both the Tiger's Claw and the Concordia, but only departed due to their destruction. He also flew from Caernarvon for 9 years, but with very little or no combat. It would have been fun to have started WC2 flying from the Tiger's Claw against the Stealth Fighters.

I can't put them in order, but I'll say I'm very fond of TCS 'Tin Can Sally' Victory - the smaller intimate setting and crew made it feel homely. But for me, home will always be the Tiger's Claw - I know I'm safe when I'm lined up with her bow and requesting permission to land. Everybody in WC1 was so friendly, as a rookie I felt most welcomed on that ship.

The Tiger's Claw (specifically the PC-Version) is my favourite, absolutely. Lots of nostalgia attached to it, very cool looks and just a great "lived-in" atmosphere (the bucket, the bunks, the bar!). Second place goes to th4e Concordia because of it's nice vibrant colours and for being the first capship getting into fights with other capships in the game. Plus, the ship you kiss Angel on! (Darn, or does Blair kiss Angel in the movie as well? I have forgotten). Not much to say about its interior. I like the Intrpid fairly well as well, it has a great feeling of being a damages underdog and the design isn't bad either.

The Victory is at the absolute bottom of my list. First, I don't like the design at all, incredibly boring to downright ugly for me. Second, everyone talks about how an old rust bucket it is but you do not get that feeling at all. Everything seems reasonably neat and shiny and (at least per the manual) it has great stats, being faster, better armed and better protected than the Kilrathi carrier. WC4's Lexington is a bit better because it is supposed to be a modern ship and it looks modern on the interior.

after beating wc1 I will admit that the tigerclaw can take a beating, but I still love the concordia bc it could dish out as well as take punishment

It would have been fun to have started WC2 flying from the Tiger's Claw against the Stealth Fighters.

The very first story pitch for WC2 (written in November 1990) does that. It was a neat idea, but it would probably never have survived into the final game. You'd probably need a whole extra floppy disk to store all the Tiger's Claw art assets, and then they'd appear in that one mission and never again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back