XP vs. WC?

PitchBlank

Spaceman
Hi all,

I just dusted off my good old WC discs - it's been a few years - and for fun I tried to install and run them on XP.

I have WC III, WC IV, Prophecy and Secret Ops.

Prophecy installed and ran without a glitch. Joy!!! Secret Ops crashes on startup which was a bit surprising given that it's more recent than Prophecy. There's a Win2K patch for Prophecy but I cand find any for Secret Ops - what do I do?

WC IV is pretty hopeless as far as I can tell - it locks up on video playback, I've had no luck with soundcard configuration and naturally it won't touch my USB joystick with a ten foot pole.

But the one I'm really dying to play again is WC III Heart of the Tiger. I'd be willing to make a friggin' Windows 95 partition if necessary. But the real trouble is, I've broken Disk #1 by accidentally rolling over it with my office chair :-S. Disks 2-4 are fine and dandy...

Is there anywhere I can get hold of a CD image of WC3 disk 1? Hey, I _am_ a legit user, original packaging is sitting right here in my shelf, however weather beaten.

/Fredrik

for wc4 get the windows 95 patch and it will work in XP no problem and so will ur USB joystick. but as for WC3, good luck with ebay.:p

WC4... You have the Win95-patch? Have you set the compatibility-mode (it it exists in Win2000) to Win95/98?
As for Secret Ops, have you tried applying the Prophecy Win2000-patch there? It's the same engine and all... Um... Can't say I'm very familiar with that patch, though. (Win98 is the meaning of life, yeh! :))

Do not use the Windows 2000 patch if you're running Windows XP. It's been known to cause problems. If you want to run Prophecy or Secret Ops in XP, simply right-click on your shortcut to the game, select Properties, tab over to Compatibility, and enable it. Setting it to Windows 95 or Windows 98 should be fine. Then run the game using that shortcut. It should work perfectly.

I figured out the Secret Ops thing and that works fine now.
But WC4 behaves the same in both standard and Win95 compatibility mode: It runs, but the video segments are either just a black screen, or gets stuck on the first frame and the whole thing hangs.

But the one I'm really dying to play again is WC III Heart of the Tiger. I'd be willing to make a friggin' Windows 95 partition if necessary. But the real trouble is, I've broken Disk #1 by accidentally rolling over it with my office chair :-S. Disks 2-4 are fine and dandy...

Doesn't Origin/EA offer replacement disks for a small fee? Call them at the # in your Prophecy docs and see. However, last I knew, on Ebay the WCIII standard dos version was pretty cheap. I got mine a while back for around $12 with shipping.

But WC4 behaves the same in both standard and Win95 compatibility mode: It runs, but the video segments are either just a black screen, or gets stuck on the first frame and the whole thing hangs.

I got all kinds of problems with the video playback with Kilrathi Saga WCIII and Win patched WCIV, yet both dos versions run fine, even under windows. If I could only nix DirectX 8.1 and go back to 8.0!!! :(

Originally posted by CoachMark

I got all kinds of problems with the video playback with Kilrathi Saga WCIII and Win patched WCIV, yet both dos versions run fine, even under windows. If I could only nix DirectX 8.1 and go back to 8.0!!! :(

Which version of WCIV, 6 disk or DVD?

Back