XP SP1 and VIA chipset MB HDD problem and solution.

Johnl12

Repairman
I thought I would share with you my solution to this problem.

I have a VIA base MB (Abit KT7A-Raid version 1.3). XP SP1 replace the VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA and the Primary/Secondary IDE Controllers and the VIA RPP - Raid Performance Patch with it's own drivers.

I first notice this problem while trying to play Freedom Force. This game would drop back to the Desktop or give me the blue screen of death after about a minute of play. This was not a problem before installing SP1. I also began to noticing problems running MS Office, Norton Anti Virus 2002, both NS7 and IE6. Office wouldn't open if I had two or three programs running. This browsers would freeze or slowdown on refreshing. Norton would freeze while scanning. Installing these drivers fix all of that. I am a happy camper again. Oh, I also believe that the defrag rate of my HDD increase. In one day after defraging my HDD, Defrag reported a fragmentation on 39%.

The solution was after installing SP1 is to change the VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA back to the VIA drivers though the Device Manager. Than re-install the VIA IDE Miniport driver and Raid Performance Patch (These drivers don't come with VIA's 4in1 drivers). Problem solve!
VIA IDE Driver GuideVIA IDE Driver Guide
I have been getting feedback on this solution in which I been thank for solving this problem. MS Tech Support said there document this.

Back