XP Help

firehorse

Spaceman
I just upgraded (or maybe downgraded) to Windows XP does anybody know if I have a chance of getting WC 3 & 4 or Privateer 2 to work in this OS, I have managed to make Prophacy work ok but Privateer locks on install? HELP!!!!!:confused:

I don't think privateer 2 will work cause of no true dos in xp. (its just a form of a simulated dos in xp. I have tried to find true dos its not there. so unless someone released a patch for it to work in windows 9x or nt type platforms your SOL on that one)as for wc3 if its part of the kilarthi saga it should work as it was compatable with win95 (right click on the wc3 program Icon and change the compatability to win 95 or 98/me I usually do 98/me cause you have to find drivers for most things to run in the win95 mode. for wc4 I thought there was a patch on WC CIC file area that made WC4 work with 95 or 98 and if so download that then do the same thing I stated for WC3. XP is actually pretty good software except for some of the lose holes in the programing, the customizability you got in win 98 and for games that wouldn't even work in win95/98/me without going to dos. (there just not gonna work unless you have a dual boot operating system. meaning xp and 98 on different partitions.)
Though I have not seen one blue screen of death since I started using XP 4 months ago (thats a big plus in my book.) Though it does freeze when I'm on the internet every once in awhile but with the fact its a ntfs filesystem I can turn the power button off and not screw things up I can deal with it. Hope that helped Firehorse.:cool:

just a follow up post to my previous post cause its to late to edit.

Anyone with XP please correct me if I'm wrong with the help I stated in the post before cause I would like to know?

I'm Always trying to Learn something new- DoomsdayPlague
:cool:

Do you have Privateer 2: Deluxe or the DOS version? Have you tried playing with compatibility modes?

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
just a follow up post to my previous post cause its to late to edit.

Anyone with XP please correct me if I'm wrong with the help I stated in the post before cause I would like to know?

I'm Always trying to Learn something new- DoomsdayPlague
:cool:

your loosely correct, it's good enough for a basic understanding.

Privateer 2 works under XP. You have to install the game. Afterwards you install the patch. Make a new dir like c:\dark\cd. Copy all 3 CD´s in this directory. Edit c:\dark\dark.cfg. In the first line you replace you CD-Rom with the dir you copied the files in. After that it should work. Here is a link with a probably better description: http://forum.asiaco.com/priv2/
But I got some problems with microsoft sidewinder gamePad.

Alex

is ur game pad usb or gameport?
if gameport, it may not work as MS nolonger supports the gameport interface in 2k/XP

my gamepad is gameport. There are no problems with other games in XP. But I think Privateer needs an analog Joystick and Sidewinder is digital.
Any ideas I can fix it?
Alex

Thanks for the XP Help

Thanks so much for all the advise, I will try the tips you sent, I suspect the solution will be found in a combonation of all the iinfo, but I have a feeling if I copy all the CD's to a folder and modify the the CFG file then also set the shortcut it to work in Win 98/Me mode that will probally cover all the bases.

I got to say it GAMERS ARE THE BEST, The strongest HELP the weekest they do not put them down...;)

I run Privateer2 in my Win98 paritition fine , but there is something with the movies.....they are not skipping they are just... I cant describe it.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
I run Privateer2 in my Win98 paritition fine , but there is something with the movies.....they are not skipping they are just... I cant describe it.:rolleyes:

Real jerky? Real degraded? Is the sound not insync with the movies?

The sound is OK , the movies are not skipping ,its something else.
When the movie plays,other pictures or something are showing in the screen

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
The sound is OK , the movies are not skipping ,its something else.
When the movie plays,other pictures or something are showing in the screen

Well I have no clue whats causing that one. I had problems with movies running off the cd in Freespace (sorry I know its not WC but am using as an example of one problem I encountered on this PC with FMV) which I fixed by extracting the movies and editing the tables to make them think it was on the second cd which made it look on the hard drive for some reason which fixed my problem.:)

Well I'm back from my week and a half trip to home for thanksgiving. While at home I was given 2 games that were not wanted anymore and I found my copy of the WC 3 novel bringing my total up to four of them which include Fleet Action, Heart of the Tiger, False Colors and Price of freedom. I have to say that William Forstchen is my all time favorite author. Ok questions about the 2 games I was given. The first is a privateer 2 question (Note that I had no problem getting it installed and running good.) For some reason I have trouble streaming movie files from old games like Freespace and Privateer 2 from a cd. I solved the freespace problem by copying the movies to a folder and changing the table that tells it to look for it on cd 1 to cd2 which makes it look and run them from the hard drive even though the second cd has to be in the cd-rom but it doesn't actually use the cd. Somebody earlier recommended I do the same thing with priv. 2 so I Downloaded the patch from WC CIC and copied all 3 cds to my hard drive and changed the config file to recoginize that all the game files are on the hard drive but it still wants to look for cd 1. Shoot I would gladly play from the cd but the videos do this wierd stutering after every word making it real choppy and playing without cutscenes to tell the storysucks. So any Suggestions on how to get the game to read the movies off the hard drive? Ok game number 2 (This doesn't revolve around WC But I don't need help fixing this as it is a loss cause, but I would like to know what this is refering to.) is the new Spiderman: The Movie game I get it installed and try to load up and it says you need a TNL Card. Now I have pretty good knowledge of video cards and got no clue as to what it is. I have asked my fellow pc geeks in my family and they have no clue either but we did settle on the fact that it was probably talking about some type of task the card performs? If someone can verify that or explain what that is that would be greatly apreaciated. :D

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
... and it says you need a TNL Card. Now I have pretty good knowledge of video cards and got no clue as to what it is. I have asked my fellow pc geeks in my family...D
As far as I know, what yer referrin' to is "Transformation aNd Lighting" (alternately, "T&L"), or something similar to that. It's a graphics effect having to do with how lighting of an object/scene changes in response to different actions/movements taking place within the scene (or something like that). Anyone else feel free to add to or correct what I've written.

T & L is (well I think the new ATi radeon's support it..) exclusively an nvidia standard/engine/design whatever you wanna call it.

So in other words if your card isnt nVidia then you cant play the game :p

I have a friend that loves 3dfx, and has a Voodoo 5 vid card, I think he has some special drivers than can get around most T & L requirements, UT2k3 for example there is a quick fix all you do is edit the nvidia.inf file or something in your install dir and you can play with a non-nvidia card.

Cheers,:D

Back