XBox Price Drops In Europe (March 11, 2008)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Microsoft has announced a price drop across Europe. Each package on the market has dropped about 80 Euros. The barebones Arcade SKU has been reduced to €199.99 / £159.99, even less than the Nintendo Wii, and the standard package has dropped to €269.99 / £199.99. The Elite model, which comes with the large hard drive, will be €369.99 / £259.99. The drop takes effect Friday, March 14. Wingnuts who might have been on the fence now have one more reason to jump in to Arena. This news has caused speculation about a North American price drop, but even after the current adjustments, prices in Europe remain a bit higher than their US equivalents.

--
Original update published on March 11, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
This news has caused speculation about a North American price drop[...]

I'm not sure why people would speculate that, other than perhaps wishful thinking. NA prices were dropped a while back (though prior to the release of the Arcade version). Personally, I'm thinking (not infrequently a dangerous thing for me, granted :p ) the EU drop was to bring it closer to current NA prices, not as a precursor to a new drop in NA prices.

Also, the market in Europe is very different - with the PS3 making much more significant gains much more quickly... I wouldn't hold my breath for a cheaper American yBox in the short term.

Yeah, as Loaf mentioned, the EU market is a bit different; Sony have traditionally done very well here (and have a massive PS1/2 install base) even though we tend to get ranked third in preference after Japan and the US and generally shafted on price/availability. Microsoft built-up a decent lead by launching early with the 360, but the PS3 has been making some big inroads and with some recent deals here in the UK for example, I'm not surpised: 60GB PS3s for £299 or less; a steal when you consider the 80GB ones were £450+ at launch a year ago and it's also a Blue-Ray player.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the 360 elite towards the end of last year for Arena, when my graphics card conked out on my aging AGP system and I found a great deal on a Core 2 DTR laptop, which I needed more than a 360, but hopefully later this year... To get a 360 elite with extra controller, Live Camera, headset, gold account, other extra gubbins and maybe 1 game would cost nearly £500+ (US $1000+) then and until recently, so this cut is welcome, but long overdue.

Wow, that's a considerable price drop. I think what might help the XBox 360 here especially is that there's now a version which is cheaper than the Wii and one that's not much higher than the Wii.

Hmmm. Now, if I could find a place that would take a VAT form, I'd be in business. :p

I'll stick with the Wii for now, but maybe once the US price drops a bit more and I can find one on base, I'll buy the 360.

All hail the march towards (slightly) cheaper prices!

Back