X3 Reunion

Youngblood

Rear Admiral
Has anyone been playing i just got it and i gotta say WOW!!! the only let down is no cocpits any more:( and i need a new cpu to run it better but apart from that like it says on the box Say goodbye to social life and sleep!!!

I've been playing it since release. Make sure you have the 1.3 patch installed, it sorts out some of the problems. Life what life :) I lost over 50 actual days playing X2. X3 will take another 50 easy.

Very good point!! i got the patch but it dosent help i seem 2 have sound problems 2 when it comes 2 voices they only come in half way through the lines startin 2 get annoyed:mad:

That game has by far the best graphics I've ever seen in a space sim, but it seriously needs a tutorial. I only played it for 10 minutes.

Youngblood said:
Very good point!! i got the patch but it dosent help i seem 2 have sound problems 2 when it comes 2 voices they only come in half way through the lines startin 2 get annoyed:mad:

"To" shouldnt be that hard to write... all this grammar-killing short messaging crap makes my head hurt.

No offense.:)

Dyret said:
"To" shouldnt be that hard to write... all this grammar-killing short messaging crap makes my head hurt.

No offense.:)

Non taken will remember for future reference:D

Youngblood said:
Non taken will remember for future reference:D

You should slow down in general and go back over your posts once before you submit. The spelling mistakes and lack of sentences make your posts hard to read. I occasionally completely rewrite my posts shortly before or after submitting.

I never could get into the X series.

Even with the 1.3 patch I still suffer with the odd problem. I started the plot missions again and within 10 minutes I had two machine resets. I'm a bit of a masochist with the X series. I live through the problems with these games, just because I enjoy them so much.

I've played X2 for a while... tried really hard to like it, but couldn't. The interface is utter crap, and combat is a major letdown.

I suppose it's a good enough game if you're looking for "Monopoly in space with an awkard interface and a plot full of bad puns".

ChrisReid said:
You should slow down in general and go back over your posts once before you submit. The spelling mistakes and lack of sentences make your posts hard to read. I occasionally completely rewrite my posts shortly before or after submitting.

I never could get into the X series.

Likewise. It's always good to review your post before it's submitted. Helps make sure its readable and clearly conveys your thoughts to the readers. As for X3, I've followed the X series for quite some time but never actually played any of the games (mostly because the early X series weren't available for purchase at any my local stores, I believe X3 is the first one I've actually physically seen). The games all seem to have extremely pretty graphics but like someone mentioned pretty graphics isn't really a good reason to buy a game. I think I will pick up X3 when the price tag drops a bit. It does look interesting.

Maj.Striker said:
Likewise. It's always good to review your post before it's submitted. Helps make sure its readable and clearly conveys your thoughts to the readers. As for X3, I've followed the X series for quite some time but never actually played any of the games (mostly because the early X series weren't available for purchase at any my local stores, I believe X3 is the first one I've actually physically seen). The games all seem to have extremely pretty graphics but like someone mentioned pretty graphics isn't really a good reason to buy a game. I think I will pick up X3 when the price tag drops a bit. It does look interesting.

Well, I don't know about X3, but 2 was pretty horrible. The story (as far as I bothered playing) was awful, and you spend about 80% of the time keyboard-navigating confusing and boring menues.:(

heh, the thing about X2 and 3 (never played nore knew of the first one till recently :p ) is your not stuck to the story, and every review i've read for either of them states this, and emphasises (bleh misspelled i know) this fact.
the biggest thing about the 2 games is they offer the freelance play of doing whatever you want, namely you can get your fleet going, and wipeout the universe, or just become a legitmate buisnessman, and trade your way to power. X3 even offers alternate lives to play as, instead of sticking to the main plot, you could start as a pirate, a merchant, or even an explorer, each with its own name, and ship (on a couple) seperate from the story character.

its almost as though they tacked the plots into 2 and 3 merely for those who want half a purpose to their existance in space, but other than that its a free for all do as you please.
now if it had multiplayer where you could take your fleet vs someone elses, or did a guildwars style free MMO thing, that'd be neat, but we can only wish for such things usualy :p
but yeah, GFX are awsome, story sux (in both) i miss the cockpits (why is it cockpits are getting the boot out of sims lately?!? WHY?!) and honestly, in preferance, i preferred to scroll the UI with my joystick hatswitch as in X2 compared to the mouse controls of X3, but thats cause i have to knick my mouse for the joystick due to lack of desk space in my barracks room :p
and the camera in X3 has to be recentered manualy, that bugs me a bit too...
and AI in X2 seems like it crawled out of the dark and never bothered opening its eyes (likes to ram, even after the patches i get rammed constantly from any angle)

okay, i'll shutup now :p

X1 is promising, never got time to play X2, and X3 is unbuyable (in brazil) and nearly unpiratable (starforce), so I' probably never play it.

Edfilho said:
X1 is promising, never got time to play X2, and X3 is unbuyable (in brazil) and nearly unpiratable (starforce), so I' probably never play it.

ugh, yeah starforce, i swear they need to work the bugs out before they release crap like that. just like in cases with Splinter Cell 3, X3 suffers from various starforce bugs preventing it from being played on a variety home built systems and even manufactured systems alike :/

GrimCW said:
the biggest thing about the 2 games is they offer the freelance play of doing whatever you want
Yeah, they give you a lot of freedom to do what you choose... and you end up choosing to uninstall the damn thing, because just about every other option is hidden behind the worst interface ever. I cannot stress this enough. :p

As someone already mentioned, X2's gameplay consists basically in scrolling through confusing menus using weird controls.

And you can't just jump into the cockpit and blast stuff away until you get bored of combat and decide to venture into the complicated world of awkward trading menus(tm) either, because it takes hours of trading runs to be able to buy a ship that's actually combat capable.

The X series is, ultimately, proof that no amount of capable artists or programmers is enough to turn great concepts into a great game.

Eder said:
As someone already mentioned, X2's gameplay consists basically in scrolling through confusing menus using weird controls.

I'm glad that you agree with me... alot of people(at least review-writing Norwegians) seems to think this is the greatest feature ever(apart from the keyboard control).

Antoher thing that needs to be mentioned is the absolutely horrifying cutscene quality. I can enjoy a game even if it has some bugs, poor story or bad interface. Like Freelancers horrible alien plot, or MAX2's rather annoying interface, but X2 just had too many. But as I've said before, i unistalled it rather quick, so maybe there was something great about it that I missed.:)

I'v played X1, cause I really liked the reviews, and even the demo was promising. But then, after getting the full game, I realised that the so called "freedom to do anything" does not exist, till you played 300hours of farming money for some upgrades. Wihtout those, you can't even leave the first system. Wich equals "no freedom at all". Storylines both in X1 and X2 gets lost at some points, from where you can't even guess what you should do next. (or it was "end of story" and I just didn't realize this cause it was unfinished?) So it got very very very boring very fast :( X3 does looks great though, I'll buy it when I win a Ferrari, and can sell it to get the price of upgrades the PC needs to run it. But, I would never ever sell one. Not even in 1:24scale :D

I played X2, at length. I had to download and install about 10 user mods to make the game playable, and then I modified weapons and ships personally until combat wasn't so stupid. The graphics were nice. Setting up stations was decent until I moved into final-production, and then I could look back at the chain of 20 stations needed to build 1 capital ship gun a day (game time), and wonder what the hell I was high on in the WEEKS prior (real time) to get to that point. Oh, and the Titan was my favorite capital ship, but they all are truely a wet fart, both on paper and in-practice. I've not heard anything different of X3, and I'm not interesting in an upgraded graphics engine.

I tried really, really hard to like X2. I tried for months. I've got a busy schedule, and I can only game at about 20 minutes at a time. With X2, I'd spend those twenty minutes just crossing 2-3 sectors, and then I was out of time. The combat was clunky as all get out. While it definately had some cool features and bright moments, ultimately the scales of judgment turned against it in my book.

It's a pity. It seems to suffer from the "da Vinci" syndrome. From trying to do so many things, it fails to truly meet its potential in any of them.

Back