X3 Hit By Kilrathi Rebellion (August 21, 2006)

KrisV

Administrator
Hunter is working on a Wing Commander mod for X3 Reunion called Kilrathi Rebellion. The project will also use elements from other space sims and some fan creations. From what we could glean from Hunter's announcement, these are some of the new features that X3 players will see:
  • Confederation and Kilrathi factions
  • New space sectors from the Wing Commander universe
  • All ships from Wing Commander 3
  • Some craft from other Wing Commander titles
  • Tachyon guns, anti-matter cannons, ship killer torpedoes and beam weapons
  • New space stations
  • Fighter turrets
  • A Bomber ship class
  • Jump points replace the game's jump gates

Readers wary of the controversial StarForce copy protection can buy the game online from the Steam service.

--
Original update published on August 21, 2006

Last edited:
Steam version still has Starforce

Buying the STEAM version might remove some of the Starforce checks, but the files still show as being Starforce infected, and it still adds a Starforce entry in the registry. I didn't buy the game the first time around because I didn't want to risk the system instability problems reported to be caused by Starforce. I don't much care for STEAM either, but at least there, if it glitches up, the worst that happens is you're locked out of your games.

Like you, I assumed that the Starforce protection was replaced by Steam verification, but that isn't the case, and they should have informed purchasers of this.

Unregistered said:
Buying the STEAM version might remove some of the Starforce checks, but the files still show as being Starforce infected, and it still adds a Starforce entry in the registry. I didn't buy the game the first time around because I didn't want to risk the system instability problems reported to be caused by Starforce. I don't much care for STEAM either, but at least there, if it glitches up, the worst that happens is you're locked out of your games.

Like you, I assumed that the Starforce protection was replaced by Steam verification, but that isn't the case, and they should have informed purchasers of this.

The people who released X3 on steam have publicly stated that the steam version does not have starforce. So presumably these leftovers shouldnt do anything.

There is supposed to be a starforce removal tool available. Maybe it will work to get rid of that too.

Back