X Rebirth announced

Evan

Rear Admiral
Hey there,

Egosoft just announced its new title called X Rebirth. They want to reinvent the series and it looks like a faster paced game now. Look at the first screenshots and the trailer.

Screenshot/Trailer

Wallpaper

I think, the wallpaper could have been a Wing Commander-scene as well.

Heh, yeah, I'd love to be excited about this, but I'm just... not. If they do streamline and fun up the gameplay though, the series would definitely be worth another look... it certainly is pretty enough.

This one is meant to be a ground up rewrite, so hopefully the pilot AI will be a lot stronger. Along with some fixes to the UI, and they should know what needs to be fixed by now, it could be a great game.

Nope, it was "Return", which ended up being "Reunion". This is quite confusing ;).

Andrews is right, they decided to start from scratch. Let's hope, they get the UI and the AI right, as well as the story-presentation.

I'm still trying to figure out the game having just bought X3.

It's pretty and all that, but it's like playing a single-player EvE. Really in depth but if you're looking for a story or something to draw you in that isn't solely a personal construct then you need to look elsewhere.

I'd kill for a return to Privateer. Freelancer was alright, but it had nowhere near the same feeling of depth that Privateer did. I will certainly give credit where credit is due though, FL did a good job in making the mouse a functional control. Most other sims make the mouse way too sensitive.

I'm waiting for gameplay footage from inside the cockpit before getting invested in this Rebirth.

The new game is supposed to have different combat/flight mechanics and is aimed more at the wider market than just core X fans. It'll be interesting to see if they can actually pull off a more casual/fun experience than the insanely detailed game X was.

We'll know they have streamlined the trading & travel mechanics when they announce it for consoles too eh?

That game needs to be stripped naked for a controller. Horrible horrible starbase tycoon game. That there is so much focus on starbases in the screenshots has me writing this off at the announcement.

We'll know they have streamlined the trading & travel mechanics when they announce it for consoles too eh?

I wish developers could understand the meaning of streamlining. There are things you do to a game to ensure smooth functionality on a console and then there is just straight up making the game as mentally uninteresting as possible.

Let's take a look at Wing Commander for example. This is a game that is an example of how you would streamline a game for consoles if the PC version was a space version of Falcon. Console users are rarely going to have, let alone ever desire, a keyboard and joystick combination for one game on their console. Wing Commander is a space flight game that retains a fun story, great combat, atmosphere, and lowers the amount of control options while not stooping to braindead levels of writing and hand holding. As such, you can do perfectly fine with a controller as it easily has enough buttons to handle the WC controls.

The problem so many developers are having is that they consistently fail to realize just what they can do on a console and as such they lower EVERYTHING when they go into console mentality. This is a big issue today as more and more games are being developed for the console first then the PC. Writing has gone absolutely down the tubes in this thought process that everyone who has a console is a window-licking short bus rider.

Back