X-Com: UFO Defense

Dyret

Super Carrot!
It is supposed to work fine with XP, but each time i build a new base or move my squad, the game crashes. :( :mad:

Have anyone else had this problem?
Can it be fixed?
I WANT TO PLAY UFO!

I know you can run it in DOSBox, but let me see if there's another way...

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1faq.html

Try the savegames (further down) if this is the DOS version. If it's the Collector's Edition, there's info on, too.

They've got some people over there in the forums who can help you if you decide to go the DOSBox route.

My only problem no is that those damn sectoids is so gray you cant spot them! :)
Really great game BTW!

Yeah, I've owned it for a while (not as long as WC, though).

Just pay close attention to the screen, and if you think there's an enemy there, run your cursor over it. If it's in the line of sight of a soldier (which can be really fun to figure out sometimes, at least for me) it should highlight if there's something there.

And believe me, you're going to wishing it was only low-level Sectoids facing you soon enough. *evil laugh*

Research alien alloys and laser weapons (up to rifle) ASAP. You will need the protection and the extra firepower. And if you ever get a night terror mission, and a black crab looking thing is sitting by the ramp, don't ignore him. You really wouldn't want to do that.

Yeah. My advice, put every weapon you can onto any of those things, ASAP. Explosives if you can do it safely (and don't worry about civilians in a case like that). Those things are very, very nasty to deal with and having civilians around only makes them more dangerous.

His other advice is very sound. Once you've got alien alloys, go for better armor. It doesn't help much sometimes, but every bit helps in the long run and it can mean the difference in life and death in some cases.

I lost all of my soldiers except one. Igor something...
He took out all of the sectoids himself. I would expect that from a game like Duke Nukem 3D, But X-COM?

Dyret said:
I lost all of my soldiers except one. Igor something...
He took out all of the sectoids himself. I would expect that from a game like Duke Nukem 3D, But X-COM?

Its better to keep all your soldiers (or at least most of them) alive - save/load often (they gain experience, and soon you will have operatives with 100 or more TUs - the limit is 350 TUs IIRC). Sectoids are easy - the real battle starts when Mutons (from intro) and Ethereals arrive (they have nasty habit of taking over your soldiers).

Starkey said:
yeah, those 100-steps-a-turn-durasteel-armour bastards

They're real bastards until you finish researching the alien's plasma weapons. Then one heavy plasma bolt takes them down easily. Now, when you do research their weapons, keep a couple Heavy Lasers on the transport. Trust me on this one.

I still favor the explosives method early on. Besides, it cuts down on hiding places. Using laser rifles and auto-cannons, I have demolished buildings looking for enemies. Not often, but it's fun. There's a certain primal glee in doing things like that.

Like I should have said above, civilians near a Cryssalid need to be taken out ASAP. Yes, that lowers your score, but dead civilians is better than dead civilians, dead X-Com troops, and lots of extra zombies and Cryssalids running around. Also, if you go after a zombie, make sure you've got enough firepower nearby to drop the Cryssalid it spawns, it makes dealing with the bloody things a lot easier.

Flying suits make taking out Cryssalids a lot easier, once you get them. Get above them and snipe... they can't hit you up there. Their equivalents in TOTD can, so be careful with that trick in there.

On a related note, I got my hands on X-Com Interceptor today... good game, but the engine could take a few hints in graphics from Prophecy and FS2 (which, to be honest, are newer, IIRC) and definitely some controls overhauling (WC1 has a few edges ion that department, the keyboard's way too sensitive). It's fun though, and the strategic side's very good. It's also an interesting difference from WC or FS. And it's easier to fly with a mouse that WC, IMO. Not that that's necessarily an improvement, mind you, but still, it's something, and it helps compensate for the keyboard.

My favorite way to clear a barn or a building is to get a soldier with high strength, and turn him into a grenadier. By having him throw high explosive packs around in the early game, he becomes deadly when you get enough alien grenades. That, and you can always do the grenade cha-cha line. Lets say you see an alien, but can't hit it, and don't have any grenades. Take a soldier who has one, set the grenade to 0, and throw it at a soldier closer to the one in question. Eventually (same turn!), it lands at the closest soldier's feet, and he picks it up and throws it at the alien. Turn ends, you hear an explosion and an alien's death scream

Inciendiery rounds from the Autocannon are fun, but not terribly effective against most aliens. Load the AC with HE rounds, and cut loose. Then again, if you're going for pure destruction, wait until you get the Blaster Bomb Launcher. I've never seen an alien walk away from a direct hit, and you can make a makeshift entrance on top of a UFO with one. Hell, if you direct it right, you can get it inside the UFO, hit the power generators, and kill most aliens on that floor. Don't do that, though. You will need the Elerium.

Patton said:
Then again, if you're going for pure destruction, wait until you get the Blaster Bomb Launcher.
Blaster bomb launchers and psi equipment take all the fun out of the game, though. I mean, they're neat the first few times you try 'em (and, of course, a major pain when you're not the one using them), but then you realise that there's really nothing out there that can threaten you any more.

In any case X-Com:Ufo is extremely easy. One of the very vew Microprose games I can regulary beat on the highest setting. Now X-Com TFTD is a different beast. The lobster men, the flying brains - yuck...

When will i reach REAL enemies.
I Have met: Sectoid, Cryssalids, Snakemen, The guys with a big globe for a ass, the saucers, and the mad cow thing. All of them is easy to kill with a laser rifle. The Cryssalids cant even penetrate my brand new power suit. So, when will i meet some really challenging opponents?

I still have one problem though: The basterds overan Brazil and have established a huge base there, but when i send my interceptors to locate it, they are either shot down by a battleship, or they just doesnt find anything. Any advices on how to locate it? I have already taken out one of their bases.

Dyret said:
When will i reach REAL enemies.
I Have met: Sectoid, Cryssalids, Snakemen, The guys with a big globe for a ass, the saucers, and the mad cow thing. All of them is easy to kill with a laser rifle. The Cryssalids cant even penetrate my brand new power suit. So, when will i meet some really challenging opponents?

I still have one problem though: The basterds overan Brazil and have established a huge base there, but when i send my interceptors to locate it, they are either shot down by a battleship, or they just doesnt find anything. Any advices on how to locate it? I have already taken out one of their bases.

Wait till the Ethereals show up with Sectopods and land their battleships on your bases. :D As far as actually locating bases go... you're on your own. Interceptors will die with one hit from a battleship, so you need Firestorms or Avengers to do anything with one of those flying around said base. Interceptors are just like pinatas for a serious alien ship.

Back