X: Beyond the Frontier

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
I find it odd this game is virtually unknown...it's apparently a Privateer spinoff, with an expansion, gold bundle and sequal AND online version. Even weirder, I never learned about those last four through any channels...has anyone else here?

http://www.egosoft.com/X/

I've got the original but never play it since my Sidewinder FF2 joystick doesn't work with it, the game over rides my resistance setting and the joystick has no force counter acting my own and won't return to centre :mad:

I'd heard about the original game, although I hadn't really heard anything notable about it.
The last four items were completely unknown to me, though.

I borrowed that game from a friend, and played it only for a week or so... even though it seems fun when you hear about it, it is actually quite poor on execution. It's one positively boring game, IMO.

--Eder

I have it. I couldn't play it for the longest time because the sound skips with DX 8.0. This problem was solve with DX 8.1. This game could take two to three weeks to play because you need a lot of cash (like 4 million) to upgrade your ship. There is some game play issues like no match speed, and auto targeting. You also don't get to walk around space stations like P1.

Not being able to walk around and interact makes this game not as enjoyable as P1. This is a o'kay game be not as fun as P1. :(

Originally posted by Johnl12
Not being able to walk around and interact makes this game not as enjoyable as P1.

Amen. That was one of my greatest problems with that game... It might have succeeded in some areas as a space combat game, but I never managed to get any real sense of atmosphere in it. (Maybe because you had to stay in space all the time <G>)

--Eder

Back