WWII Capital Ships

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
What is your favorite capital ships or fighters from the World War II era?
Mine:

1) USS Portland CA-33, Portland-class Heavy Cruiser
2) USS Tennessee BB-43, Tennessee-class Dreadnought-Battleship
3) USS Lexington CV-2, Originally a Constellation-class Battle Cruiser, completed as the first fleet carrier
4) USS South Dakota BB-57, South Dakota-class Fast Battleship
5) USS Midway CVB-41, Midway-class Large Fleet Carrier (the TCS Vesuvius of the day)

The Akagi...aaaahhh. How about the Shokaku? Much cooler Japanese Carrier. My favorite British ship would have to be the Vanguard or KGV.

hehe

Yamato of course....

And then in the future it gets ressurected and saves the Earth from the gamilons!

"YA-MA-TO!"...

I think I'd prefer the Essex or the Yorktown class, and just a suggestion: You may want to revise your post to include those classes. The Midway Ships didn't come online until after WWII...they were laid down around 1943 and came out in 1944 or '45.

Granted they're still from the WWII Era..but they're not all that popular. Listing two battle ships is a bit of overkill too as the WWII era was widely recognized as the end of the Battleship era and the beginning of the Aircraft Carrier...

[EDIT]
Checked my sources and the first Midway was launched on September 10, 1945. The US-Japanese treaty was signed on board the USS Missouri on September 2, 1945.

[EDIT]
http://www.navsource.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/ships-cv.html
http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/carriers/

Just in case you want to question my data.

And my favorite capital ships are:

USS Intrepid CV-11 -- Essex Phase 1 Class Fleet Carrier (Phase 2 ships were slightly longer and carried more fuel)
USS Enterprise CV-6 -- Yorktown Class Fast Carrier
USS New Jersey BB-62 -- Iowa Class Battleship
USS San Francisco -- Portland Class Cruiser

USS Missouri, BB 63. There's a little place on the deck that makes it special.

After that, I'd have to say the Enterprise, because I flew so many missions off her in Pacific Strike. :D

Jason_Ryock said:
I think I'd prefer the Essex or the Yorktown class, and just a suggestion: You may want to revise your post to include those classes. The Midway Ships didn't come online until after WWII...they were laid down around 1943 and came out in 1944 or '45.

Granted they're still from the WWII Era..but they're not all that popular. Listing two battle ships is a bit of overkill too as the WWII era was widely recognized as the end of the Battleship era and the beginning of the Aircraft Carrier...

[EDIT]
Checked my sources and the first Midway was launched on September 10, 1945. The US-Japanese treaty was signed on board the USS Missouri on September 2, 1945.

[EDIT]
http://www.navsource.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/ships-cv.html
http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/carriers/

Just in case you want to question my data.

I don't question your information, although the fact that the Midway didn't enter service until just days after the Japanese surrender doesn't mean that she wasn't a World War II carrier. The concept, design and hull were completed in the War. As I stated, they were like the TCS Vesuvius, which wasn't completed until after the war, but was obviously designed during the war to deal with the Kilrathi threat.

Also, the Essex-class and Yorktown-class may have been more efficient than the older Lexington-class Carriers, they were not my personal favorites. The Lexington and the Saratoga were converted from Battle Cruiser hulls and had very distinctive lines. They were also the largest American carriers until the Midway class entered service.

The fact that I chose two BBs in my favorite ship catagory shows that I believe from my research that the Fleet Carrier in World War II didn't make the Battleship totally obsolete, it just changed the role. Granted the Central Pacific and Philipines island campaigns were dominated by the Fleet Carrier; the Atlantic, Mediterranean, Aleutians and South Pacific (Guadalcanal region) were heavily submarine, cruiser-destroyer, and battleship theatres. When the American carrier fleet had been decimated in late 1942 (Yorktown, Hornet and Wasp were destroyed, Enterprise was seriously damaged and Saratoga was temporarily out of commission) it was the South Dakota and Washington under Admiral Willis Lee that saved the day and helped bring the American forces back to balance with the Japanese. Also remember the reason why Secretary of the Navy John Lehman and President Ronald Reagan brought the Iowa class back into service in the 80s was to counter the threat of the Soviet Kirov-class (Battle Cruiser) Large Missile Cruiser.

Sylvester said:
And my favorite capital ships are:

USS Intrepid CV-11 -- Essex Phase 1 Class Fleet Carrier (Phase 2 ships were slightly longer and carried more fuel)
USS Enterprise CV-6 -- Yorktown Class Fast Carrier
USS New Jersey BB-62 -- Iowa Class Battleship
USS San Francisco -- Portland Class Cruiser

Sylvester,
Just a minor point, the San Francisco to the best of my knowledge is a 10,000-ton New Orleans-class Heavy Cruiser. The design is a Washington naval treaty ship like the Portland-class, but slightly more compact and more efficient. The San Francisco entered service in or around 1935, the Portland was 1933 and her sister ship, the Indianapolis was 1931.

Dragon1 said:
As I stated, they were like the TCS Vesuvius, which wasn't completed until after the war, but was obviously designed during the war to deal with the Kilrathi threat.
Hmm, well, that's actually rather questionable :p.

And in other news, the USS Constitution is being refitted with a vertical launch system so she may sail off the coast of Afghanistan and deliver Tomahawk cruise missiles to those bad Talibans.

might I be so bold as to suggest the Stalin??

She was the russian ship that was designed to kick the poop out of everyone. She was bigger and better than the big old battle ships in Under Seige, forget the class but the yanks loved them. Anyway she was never used in anger due to the rise in carrier warefare, Sexy though

Back