WTLF is a Retro?

Is just a psycho-religious man from Priv and Righteous Fire, they don´t love the technology or the people who use it. (that is weird because they use ship, lasers,etc.....of course they use crap fighters like the Talon, so they are easy targets :) )

"Die by the weapons you adore!"
As Ghost pointed out, they're pretty contradictory characters... :)

Seemed kinda like a bash against people like the Catholic Inquisition. Using unsavory methods to get at unsavory people. Something like that, using technology to kill technological people. They just don't think man should have all this technology, and that it's an affront to God. (I'm not suprised, IRL there would be people like that-hell, there are!)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Well, like the old saying says: "Fight fire with fire" :)
Granted, but if you think fire is evil (for some stupid reason), you really shouldn't try fighting it with... fire (unless you really want to lose all credibility)!

Originally posted by mpanty
Granted, but if you think fire is evil (for some stupid reason), you really shouldn't try fighting it with... fire (unless you really want to lose all credibility)!
Yeah, like Confed lost all credibility after destroying Kilrah... wait. :rolleyes:

I skipped nothing, mpanty :p. Last I checked, most people consider destroying large civilian populations evil, while for the Kilrathi Empire, such destruction was always a part of war. Therefore, by your logic, doesn't Confed lose all credibility by destroying a huge civilian population in order to put an end to the destruction of both its own, and the Kilrathi civilian population?

But if they didn't destroy it, it would lose the World War 2 parallels (or at least they'd be diminished), so _clearly_ they had to destroy it. :)

Retro-; retrograde = (n) going backward; (v) to go backward

Retro is actually a label used upon the Church of Man used by Hunter Toth in his book 'Prometheus Unplugged'. And ever since the Church of Man (may it be knowned that I'm affiliated with a Church which is the body of Christ, and not the Church of Man...) started its anti-technology war (using technology too btw), the military and civvies have been labelling them as 'Retro' terrorists.

BTW, I've enjoyed killing Retros since the Guild like that, the military like that, and my relationship with the Pirates (as well the Kilrathi) are unaffected. Killing Retros are fun... easy targets, easy money... if you can bear those funny comms of theirs. Besides, their theology is too weird to comprehend, lest to sympathize upon.

The nature of the Church of Man and their base in Gemini sector was further explored in Privateer: Righteous Fire

Time enough for one post...

It's a game, try not to analyse the characters and factions too deeply, Fraix. ;)

BTW, killing Retros is good for your status with all the Gemini groups except for the Kilrathi and the Retros themselves, AFAIK. If you should choose to take Lynch's offer of clearing your record in RF, then kill several Retros, you'll end up being friends with everyone but the Kilrathi and Retros. Or, if you were 'friends' with the Kilrathi beforehand, you'll only have Retros to contend with. Unfortunately, this makes flights a little boring, but by that time, you should have finished the main storyline anyway.

Originally posted by Quarto
I skipped nothing, mpanty :p. Last I checked, most people consider destroying large civilian populations evil, while for the Kilrathi Empire, such destruction was always a part of war. Therefore, by your logic, doesn't Confed lose all credibility by destroying a huge civilian population in order to put an end to the destruction of both its own, and the Kilrathi civilian population?
You don't get the point I was trying to make...
"Fight fire with fire"... that's the expression I was commenting on. The point is that the Retros condemn technology, yet they fight those that adopt it by using technology themselves!!
This doesn't apply at all to Confed, Confed and the Kilrathi are fighting a war. Confed was driven to T-Bomb Kilrah due to desperate circumstances, whereas the Retros have waged war on technology and technology users, by using technology from the start!

Originally posted by mpanty
You don't get the point I was trying to make...
"Fight fire with fire"... that's the expression I was commenting on. The point is that the Retros condemn technology, yet they fight those that adopt it by using technology themselves!!
This doesn't apply at all to Confed, Confed and the Kilrathi are fighting a war. Confed was driven to T-Bomb Kilrah due to desperate circumstances, whereas the Retros have waged war on technology and technology users, by using technology from the start!
Hehehe... you're right, I don't get your point. You excuse Confed because of the desperate circumstances, but you don't think that fighting against technology users with no modern technology qualifies as desperate circumstances? :) We all side with Confed, so we might be tempted to pretend the two situations are different, but they're not. Well... at least, they're not different in the hypocrisy aspect.

Quarto v mpanty

My take:
The Retros are hypocrites because they use technology, even though they officially condemn it.
Confed isn't a hypocrite because it never condemned the widespread destruction of lives and property for the sole purpose of protecting the Confederation.

But that’s the whole point of the expression. It’s an argument that fighting something “bad” with itself is not hypocritical at all, it is just.

Now you may not agree with that argument, either generally or as applied in a given case, but don’t mistake what the argument is.

As far as the Retros go, I believe the question of their hypocrisy depends much more on what their “home life” is like.

As for the destruction of Kilrah, I’m not sure the expression fits very well. It strikes me as a gross misstatement and/or understatement to say that we destroyed Kilrah because the Kilrathi tried to destroy Earth (and did effectively destroy or heavily damage some of the other worlds), or simply because we wanted to prevent the Kilrathi from doing so in the future.

Back