Wrath of Khan

Just to put this discussion in perspective, Rick Berman once had trouble understanding fans protests at one occasion when the Enterprise fired phasers from its torpedo tubes, saying, "I didn't realise there was any difference".

I was just thinking about Serenity. I don't actually remember there being any sounds other than what the main character might hear. For example when they are coasting through Reaver territory and then destroy the Reaver ship, you hear the muffled booms from the main turret, but you don't hear the Reaver ship explode.

Also all the faster than light effects looked like they'd be very loud but you didn't actually hear anything.

That was the great thing about Firefly...in that series, sound effects weren't given to anything when in the space setting. Sounds effects are neat when done (normally), but I found it kind of refreshing to make everything devoid of sound when in space.

Just to put this discussion in perspective, Rick Berman once had trouble understanding fans protests at one occasion when the Enterprise fired phasers from its torpedo tubes, saying, "I didn't realise there was any difference".

That's a funny thought. I don't remember anything that would warrant a protest like this except for the first few of the original series, and Berman certainly wasn't a part of it at that time.

No, that was the diagram shown when Saavik announces she is energizing defense fields. Then the diagram of the ship is shown, and that part of the saucer around the bridge lights up in a circular fashion. There actually was no intruder alert at that time, although that was displayed on the terminal for some reason.

Wow... never thought I'd see this thread again, but yeah that is where I got the idea that the torpedo could not do that much damage.

Hehehehe... where did you find this?

I made it, of course. :D (Admitingly, that line at the bottom always sounds like a haiku to me for some reason. ;) )

Incidently, I always thought "Engergize defense fields" was an internal defense measure, for some reason. Nothing with external shields going up.

Well, its true. Can you name another director who understands the Star Trek subject matter any less than Stewart Baird?

"And now... for the... trademark... Star Trek warp... speed..."

(Enterprise moves on impulse power, cut to new scene)

LeHah, you'll note I wasn't talking about the rest of the movie... I was talking about the scenes with Picard and Shinzon. The rest of it was pretty wearisome, despite some slapstick punnery...

:) I disagree...

I used to think this...but I recently got the DVD of "Wrath of Khan" and watched it again....boy is it L A M E! Ricardo Montalban is VERY good as an arch-villan, but the rest of it is painful to watch.

Personally, from the dramatic aspect, I prefer the scenes from Nemesis with Shinzon/Picard. Now THOSE scenes crackled with electricity!

Nemesis is really not much more than a basic retread of TWoK, with some ideas taken from other ST movies. Puh-****ing-lease. Yes, a scene is so tense... when there's a bottemless pit on the E-E that we never saw, and, better yet, it was the setting for one of the lamest scenes in trek history.

Let's not rifle down the list of stupidity on that movie. At the end of the day, Nemesis just isn't regarded to be anywhere nearly as good as TWoK, nor is it as exciting. I've yet of heard a line from Nemesis that's as iconic as Kirk screaming KKKKHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing that Nemesis really lacked in comparison to TWoK was cheese. Not enough to make stupid, but not anything as overly serious and nearly popmaous.

Kirk states after the attack that Saavik "saved the ship". Not sure if it was a direct quote of that, or when he tells her "to keep going on quoting regulations".

The Defense shields themselves are probably amped up versions of the structural integrity field (which if memory serves strengthens the hull so it can survive space travel) to help prevent sudden damage by a asteriod strike or, a suprise attack.

TWoK is the best Star Trek movie, and while I enjoyed Nemesis I think they should have never said "We are making this in the vein of ST II". The Wrath of Khan worked because it had history between Kirk and Khan, plus excellent performances by all the lead actors and actresses.

Back