Wrath of Khan

Let me tell you what The Wrath Of Khan is: Pure, absolute awesome crammed into two hours of film. Seriosly, TWoK is probley one of my favorite movies of all time.

Let me tell you what The Wrath Of Khan is: Pure, absolute awesome crammed into two hours of film. Seriosly, TWoK is probley one of my favorite movies of all time.

Amen to that.

"I have been and always shall be... your friend."

It's enough to make a grown man cry.

You mean they didn't rescind it when they found out the special effects involved too much torpedo damage being shown?!

To the original poster - what you circled there in the second picture is not a defense field - its just the ship's running lights.

I'd like to ask another question about this film, actually. If you were commanding the Enterprise in Kirk's place, at what point would you have raised your shields during that first encounter?

To the original poster - what you circled there in the second picture is not a defense field - its just the ship's running lights.

Actually, if you watch STII, when the command "Energize defense fields" or similar is issued, graphics depicting some sort of shield engaging are shown. No special effect on the model is shown. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Defense_fields

You are correct, however, that the lights in the circle are nothing but running lights. I believe the original poster was simply trying to show the area the graphic indicates.

Defense Fields: I'm sitting here watching the ramp-up to the Reliant's first strike...DVD-ROMs are great for this! Anyway, when the circle is going around the saucer, I've always taken it (and still do take it this way) that when the command of "Energize Defense Fields" goes out, that meant to shunt power to weapons and shields, giving them power to fire when necessary. The circle goes around where the phaser banks are located, no further. This tells me that the phasers are receiving primary power, as also the buttons for charging weapons are being pressed (Warp power transfer is the console there) and shields are also getting power...but all of these systems are on standby. None are activated because, hey, why start firing on a Federation starship without just cause? And why raise shields for the same reason? So power is readied to those systems, but can't be continued due to the first-strike phaser volley into Engineering.

Swing-around torpedo strike: From the angle that the torpedo is fired at, the trajectory it takes and the place where it detonates, the only possible impact point would be somewhere on the starboard half of the upper saucer, probably close to the bridge where the saucer starts angling upwards. This kind of detonation close to the bridge is going to set all sorts of fires around its area, and is more than likely going to put a bunch of energy into feedback loops through the circuits it touches. Remember, a torpedo is inside of a casing that has both matter and antimatter which are kept separate until point of detonation...they're released, rushing into each other and creating explosive energy...

...which makes the torpedoes in ST III take a completely different approach. Both sides appeared to have some sort of effect that resembles an ion cannon effect, not doing any damage but knocking out systems instead. *shrugs* It's the same disparity issue I have with that and the speeds at which "full impulse" seem to vary greatly. In ST III, it's kind of slow. In ST VI, it's a blasting forward of incredible speed...which is actually what it should be, given that full impulse (I believe) is supposed to be about .8 light speed.

Just my input.

Surely everyone in here has seen this movie at one time or another. Personally i think its the best one of all time.

:) I disagree...

I used to think this...but I recently got the DVD of "Wrath of Khan" and watched it again....boy is it L A M E! Ricardo Montalban is VERY good as an arch-villan, but the rest of it is painful to watch.

Personally, from the dramatic aspect, I prefer the scenes from Nemesis with Shinzon/Picard. Now THOSE scenes crackled with electricity!

Personally, from the dramatic aspect, I prefer the scenes from Nemesis with Shinzon/Picard. Now THOSE scenes crackled with electricity!

Wow, Stuart Baird posts to the Wing Commander Chat Zone!

If I may be so bold, the following information is taken from Memory Alpha, the wiki on Star Trek canon. As such, take it as you will.

The defense field article cites no references, but was created last year and supports what frostytheplebe claims.

The Constitution class article states that the 2270s refit Constitution class carried six dual-emitter phaser banks on the saucer: three dorsal and three ventral, two forward, two port, to starboard. The graphic in The Wrath of Khan shows a circular field around the bridge being energized, only on the dorsal face of the saucer. Since starships at this time did not have phaser strips, there's no reason to suggest that that entire ring was being energized just to power three phaser banks, and especially leaving the ventral phaser banks uncharged.

As far as impulse drive speeds, it's never really defined how fast impulse drive is, only that in TMP they were traveling 80% light speed while at impulse. It is entirely possible that impulse speeds are all relative, depending on the mass of a starship and the power of its impulse drive. Full impulse would then be all impulse drive power available, with final velocity depending on amount of power available to the impulse drive, thrust of the impulse drive and mass of the starship. All speculation on my part of course.

According to my Star Trek Encyclopedia (yes, I have a Star Trek Encyclopedia, stop looking at me that way), "Normally, full impulse speed is about half the speed of light". It does not appear to have top impulse speeds listed for any particular ships or ship classes, since those are probably not defined anywhere and is probably highly dependent on exterior conditions.

No information that I can find on defense fields though.

What book is it? Most technical manuals and things of that nature are interesting reads but are not canon to Star Trek.

If I remember right, the Star Trek Encyclopedia is "Officially recognized by Paramount", and is written by the actual folks who made the shows.

The encyclopedia is lifted directly from the shows themselves, with backstage info to flesh some things out.

The problem was TMP muddled the waters with the initial scenes where impulse speeds were ordered and reported as "Warp point five, point six," etc.

Of course, the warp scale isn't linear, either...

This is the problem when you have obsessive and technically sound fans with too much data at their fingertips!

Back