Would anyone know what this means?

U

Unregistered

WC3 from Kilrathi Saga keeps telling me when I run it in Dosbox, "Program cannot be run in Dos". I have followed all walkthru's correctly on setting up the game, and have posted on the Dosbox forums without reply, and also spent most of the night trying to search out the meaning of this error without results.

The Kilrathi Saga versions are win32 exectuables and thus, as they say, cannot be run in DOS - which DOSbox emulates. You'll need to find a way to run them under windows.

Yeah, if the game won't run in your version of windows after installing, try setting compatabilliy modes on the executables. In WinXP Find the related EXEs and right click on them and then hit properties. Go to the compatability tab and choose either win95, or 98. If that doesn't work then we can try and troubleshoot any error messages at that point. And also please post any system specs and details about how it's not working.

Well, my comp is Gigabyte motherboard, Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz, 2 gigs of dual channel ram, 256 meg ATI Raedon x1950 and an soundblaster Live! running Win XP.

The problem I have is the game locking up as soon as movies finish playing. I know alot of others have the same issue. I have tried all compatabilities, MS Compatability Tool 5.0 lowering sound acceleration and also video acceleration, and like a literal TON of other things to make it work. I know its Win XP and/or a DX issue. Oh yea, also tried the win2000 patch and set compat to win2000 and still no go.
Its either Win XP being so different from win 98/95 or DirectX function call that no longer exists. Like these days if you play Independence War the game will crash right after you finish each mission because it makes a certain sound call to DX that no longer exists in the current DX versions.

I have a copy of Win98 SE. If I set up a dual-boot win XP/Win 98 and use the Win 98 partition to play my older games, think that would allow my wing commander games to work? and is it possible to have Directx 9 on my Win XP partition, and have DirectX 5 or 6 on my Win 98 partition without it causing conflict? Cause I know you cant downgrade DirectX's on the same OS, so would that work? Thanks everyone.

I have a copy of Win98 SE. If I set up a dual-boot win XP/Win 98 and use the Win 98 partition to play my older games, think that would allow my wing commander games to work? and is it possible to have Directx 9 on my Win XP partition, and have DirectX 5 or 6 on my Win 98 partition without it causing conflict? Cause I know you cant downgrade DirectX's on the same OS, so would that work? Thanks everyone.

It's certainly possible. The only issues would potentially be newer hardware not recognized by the older operating sysyem. Most should be fine though . If it
's a separate partition and not using the same directory for the install whatsoever and certainly not the same drive I don't see different directx levele being an issue.

Back