Worst Fighter in the game

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Is it a fighter you fly, or you fight? Why do you hate it so much?

Me:
1. Talon: I hate it! It was the first fighter to send my controller flying across the room when I fought its original incarnation as a Kilrathi heavy fighter in SWC. Made me soooo mad!
In Privateer, it once again successfully pissed me off. When I first started out playing that game, it always cost me a fortune in repairs to the damn Tarsus.
In P2... well look at all the trouble one ancient fighter caused!?
From what little fiction I can find on them, they were set to replace the Scimitar (another fighter I don't care for), but thier afterburners sucked so bad that they retired it two years later (standoff), and then were sold off Illegally.
The only thing I like about them is that they are the primary fighter of the Church of Man (I LOVE RETROS!!)

2. Epee, its only around for 4 missions in WC2, but its weak and frustrating for those 4 missions. Weak as hell, improperly armed, and quick to die.

From what little fiction I can find on them, they were set to replace the Scimitar (another fighter I don't care for), but thier afterburners sucked so bad that they retired it two years later (standoff), and then were sold off Illegally.

This is something a fanfic decided - there's no background like this in the continuity.

The Phantom from Armada and the WCP Shrike are ships I really don't like to fly, I feel they're just incredibly crappy overall. Black Shrike is a tad better, but not much.

To fight, well the Gothri from SO1+2, the Stiletto and Kilrathi fighters in Priv and the Skull from Priv2 are rather hard to fight.

But I think the Stiletto wins the award of being the most annoying to kill. It is just too thin and fast to hit properly...

Sir,

The only ship I've found genuinely frustrating in any WC game is the Gladius in Standoff. Low afterburner fuel, poor fire concentration, and I'd much rather have the Rapier with the same guns.

WCP Shrike

Three words: Charging Mass Driver

Sure, it's not quite as "point and click" simple like most other guns, but if you're patient for it to charge up, a salvo will put a serious hurt on a bug ship, if not kill it outright, and pop a turret like a pimple with no problem.

The scimitar is really, really bad. the only thing I was thinking while flying it was "give me back my Hornet"

Sure, it's not quite as "point and click" simple like most other guns, but if you're patient for it to charge up, a salvo will put a serious hurt on a bug ship, if not kill it outright, and pop a turret like a pimple with no problem.

Have to agree here. In MP if you can get somebody with a Charging MD shot it's almost always all over for the other player. And those mines can actually be really useful.

Hate flying: WC2 Epee. Fragile, seemed to get hit more often than the supposedly similar-sized Ferret, and the cockpit visibility was a problem. Always felt like I had trouble seeing over the dash. The Hellcat comes in second. There's just not much to recommend it over the Arrow or Thunderbolt. That said, I'm not entirely sure why I enjoy flying the Scimitar and not the Hellcat.

Hate fighting: SM2 Hhriss. While they weren't as challenging to fight as Rapiers, they had crazy amounts of armor and shielding. It took positively forever to bring them down. As I recall, at least one of the Claw's pilots said something to the effect of, "Why the hell are we flying these stupid pancakes? Can't we requisition some of those hot new Hhriss fighters?" Coming in second: Ekapshi. They were annoying. Endlessly annoying.

Dralthi mkII, Damned pan-cake got me killed more times than a little with its tissue armour and flimsy shields, apart from when the techs finally got it so you blended in with a patrol that was pretty cool.

Worse to fight against
Gothri,
Sorthak, quad meson turret hurts when you havent got slide capability.

The hellcat V- that ship was like a watered down rapier- it was supposed to be a "jack of all trades"- it felt more like a "jack of no trades."

Anything without afterburners sucks, as well as the Gladius, Hornet, Scimitar.

I'd say my favorites are probably the Thunderbolt, Rapier, Excalibur, Dragon and Arrow.

Have to agree here. In MP if you can get somebody with a Charging MD shot it's almost always all over for the other player. And those mines can actually be really useful.

I completely agree, the charging Mass Driver is very good, it makes the Tigershark a real reward. And on the Wasp they are extremely powerful as well.

But on the Shrike? Not so much, I always felt that the gun capacitator recharged too slowly on the Shrike. Nevertheless, I almost exclusively used the charging MD on the Shrike. Still, the Shrike was the only ship I had really problems with if I wanted to get a perfect score because I almost always got damge to the hull

Hate flying: Longbow, Avenger, Shrike and Devastator. They maneuver like bricks, and once you concentrate on a target, their buddies gang up on you and take you down from behind. Once you have a bunch of cats/humans/bugs on your tail, you can't evade them and they tear you apart.

Hate fighting: JINCILLA SKULL. I didn't buy missiles until I ran into skulls. Then I bought all the proximity missiles I could fit on my ship.

Hate flying: Longbow, Avenger, Shrike and Devastator. They maneuver like bricks, and once you concentrate on a target, their buddies gang up on you and take you down from behind. Once you have a bunch of cats/humans/bugs on your tail, you can't evade them and they tear you apart.

Hate fighting: JINCILLA SKULL. I didn't buy missiles until I ran into skulls. Then I bought all the proximity missiles I could fit on my ship.

Let me take a wild guess... you not a cap-ship killer are you?

I'm ok at it, but it isn't my thing. I would much rather keep the bombers alive, rather than have to keep myself alive in a bomber.

Yeah this can always be a tough decision on some missions. I often find myself drawn to the bomber so that I can know the job can get done, but I also like nailing fighters as they try to nail my bomber buddies.

I completely agree, the charging Mass Driver is very good, it makes the Tigershark a real reward. And on the Wasp they are extremely powerful as well.

Why would you possibly use a charging mass driver while flying a Wasp? The Dust Cannon alone takes out the toughest targets...

Have to agree with the sentiment that anything without afterburner sucks horribly. If you don't have this speed burst option, I don't care what kind of craft you're flying...you're dead.

The Hellcat and the Tigershark. Always seemed to take forever to kill anything in a Hellcat (ESPECIALLY, for whatever reason, those Kilrathi asteroid fighters), and seeing as how the Tigershark was supposed to be the "successor" to the Hellcat...well, the would-be word "suck" in "successor" sure fit the mold. I have better luck killing things in a Shrike than in a Tigershark, weird as that may sound.

Yeah this can always be a tough decision on some missions. I often find myself drawn to the bomber so that I can know the job can get done, but I also like nailing fighters as they try to nail my bomber buddies.

This is why flying a Sabre is a good thing.

(wow...what's all that flak that suddenly opened up all around me???) heh

Back