Woo.. Halo LAN

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Just got back from another Halo lan party. Four XBoxes and TVs.. about a dozen people. This one had some really good moments. Bit of an email I just sent off:

After about five hours it was down to four of us so we declared one final match on a big ice level to 25 kills. This one was crazy intense. I had an exact routine down for where to go to get certain guns. Then I had exact routes on where to patrol to kill people. If I didn't spawn near my weapons dump, I had sneaky routes to get there. Each kill everyone got was earned. It was neck and neck throughout, but I got an early lead with a Killing Spree five kills and zero deaths. I was a kicking ass with the sniper rifle, but I wasn't camping and sniping. I was constantly on the move. I'd pull out the sniper, zoom and scan for targets, then I'd immediately switch to the shotgun and spin around looking for anyone sneaking up on me. Everyone was really into it. After about 45 minutes to an hour, we were at 19 kills, 22 kills and I was tied with someone at 24. I died and spawned far from my guns. Ran across someone and had a shot to win it, but he got me. Thirty seconds later the other guy got the final kill. I was visibly shaking after the match from all the adrenaline. I'm all hyper now. Can't wait to do eight XBox TimeSplitters linkup next month

Halo's so bad ass. I've always wanted to do something with that many people-thought it'd be cool as hell! But I've just had to settle for me and my best friend beating it a few times on Legendary.

I'm really looking forward to Halo 2-saw the first trailer movie for it yesterday, damn does it look good!

There's a new magazine out for October called Edge that has more photos. There's a bunch of new vehicles depicted, mostly neato derivatives of the Warthog. Has some concept art for new Covenant aliens and vehicles. I made a two hour video loop of that Halo video for my work a couple weeks ago. It's gonna be great. I hope it supports more than four XBoxes in linkup.

Really? That's great! I read an article on how "GamePro" (or someone, can't remember who's magazine it was) would make Halo 2-and most of it was just new weapons.

Of course, they also had the ability to roll, and crawl on one's stomach. Those would be cool options!

Yup.. mainly looking forward to TimeSplitters 2 in four weeks. Just got the demo, haven't tried it. People I know who have say it's a lot like the original Goldeneye.. lots of fun. And it supports eight XBox link.

I dunno. That's a good question.

I remember when I first started playing it, I thought I would HATE that dual analog thing-everyone I know bitches about that all the time. But did anyone else find it better in the long run? I found I liked it after I adapted.

The controls work. They're precise and deliberate. Not all dual analogue games play well.. I hate the Turok controls.. but I believe Bungie does a good job.

I can't really say, I haven't played it. I've seen people play Max Payne, and doesn't that have dual analog? Anyone know/know if it's any good?

Yeah, Max Payne is dual analogue.. but it's also third person.. It's slightly different in that case because then you have a "camera" stick instead of a "look" stick. Dead to Rights is a more recent one like that.. and its controls are pretty decent.

I don't know what any of these other crazy games are, but Sony makes a really really big dual-analog joystick you can put in your lap... and WCIV PSX has a special setup for it... and it's definately the most pleasant WC-PSX experience possible...

Yeah, I remember playing that when I hadn't yet purchased my copy of WCIV for my PC (I'd played my brother's.) So it was kinda nice to be able to play it again. But I hadn't heard about this joystick thing, that's pretty cool.

I'd still have to say The Thing and Splinter Cell R gonna be cool games for the Xbox

havent really gotten to play Halo long, so I can't judge
tho I'm sure the box can do even better then Halo if they try

my little causin has Max Payne on the PS2, I have it on the PC
and after so many times of tryingto aim with those damn analog controls I've decided that game needs a mouse

The thing is already out.. but I do believe Spliter Cell will be both a great game and a sleeper hit. There's a few others like Mech Assault that are getting very positive previews as well. And although it gets most of its attention from the controller, virtually all the reviews and things I've seen on Steel Battalion say the game itself is excellent as well.

Do you know if they're going to make it 4 players? I know they have co-op mode on the PS2, and will have it on the X-box I'm sure. But it'd be wierd to have 4 people in it. (Would almost make it too easy!)

Wow, this game is even better than I thought. Dynasty Warriors 3 is my favorite game of the year so far I think.. and I've bought a lot of games.

Back