wishlist for 2.0 or latter

upyr1

Spaceman
Since I don't know how close we are to seeing 2.0 but I would like to know what features you would like to see added subtracted or modified?

I believe this has been discussed before...

But i never got the chance to give my list, so here it is:

-Better models (especially kamekh)
-More realistic explotions
-bigger planets
-Starships that fly like starships and not like drunken and badly injured bumble bees

I would also like campain missions that worked like they did in the original. The third oxford mission, most of the Palan missions and the murphy missions in RF all involve fighting off huge swarms of demons or other such ships at once whereas in the original, you would get them in waves of three of four.

I think you still get the Demons in small waves, it's just that they're vastly overpowered at the moment and the enemy pilot AI makes them almost impossible to hit when they go evasive.

Anyway, here's my wishlist. (Please not I am not a purist, I do not care how much it diverges from the original Privateer. I have it running on DosBOX and can play it whenever I feel like it.)

--More side campaigns; once you do the missions there already are, there's not much else to do, except for either starting a new game or hex-editing your save so you can do the missions again.
--More tie-in with the rest of the WC universe
--Ability to set fire modes on your guns. (i.e. ability to set them to fire one by one, two by two, et cetera. It's nice having a continuous stream of fire instead of concentrated bursts sometimes.)
--Purchasable Kilrathi ships. (Is this already impelemented? I've heard references to buying them, but haven't seen them in-game.)

Solon Halwinder said:
--More side campaigns; once you do the missions there already are, there's not much else to do, except for either starting a new game or hex-editing your save so you can do the missions again.
That would be pretty cool.`By the way, have you found Destinee yet?

Solon Halwinder said:
--More tie-in with the rest of the WC universe
I think that's what the WC unverse mod is for. "Real" Privateer concentrates on that backwater sector called Gemini only, IMO.

Solon Halwinder said:
--Ability to set fire modes on your guns. (i.e. ability to set them to fire one by one, two by two, et cetera. It's nice having a continuous stream of fire instead of concentrated bursts sometimes.)
You mean, like the un/synchronised gun feature from WC3/WC4? That'll depend on the capabilities of the Vega Strike engines, I guess.

Solon Halwinder said:
--Purchasable Kilrathi ships. (Is this already impelemented? I've heard references to buying them, but haven't seen them in-game.)
I don't know if that exists already, but it would be fun. There are enough Armada cockpits to be used...

Solon Halwinder said:

I hear Tr'pakh is nice this time of year...

(Too bad the Gothri doesn't have a cockpit yet)

Lazy Panda said:
That would be pretty cool.`By the way, have you found Destinee yet?

Yes, I have. I always do that campaign branch before the main one.

I think that's what the WC unverse mod is for. "Real" Privateer concentrates on that backwater sector called Gemini only, IMO.

Oh, so THAT'S what WCU is. I thought it was something completely separate.

I hear Tr'pakh is nice this time of year...

Yeah, I found it shortly after my post but couldn't edit it for some reason.

Solon Halwinder said:
Oh, so THAT'S what WCU is. I thought it was something completely separate.
It mostly is, but work on WCU began with a beta of Privateer Remake.

Yeah, I found it shortly after my post but couldn't edit it for some reason.
You can only edit posts 90 or 120 minutes after they go up. I hate it too. :)

What I want to see is all the logical bugs to be fixed up first. (Eg. Oxford 3rd mission)

I don't care how pretty the graphics can get. If the game doesn't work I can't play.

The one thing thats bothered me since I found this is there is no start screen.
I would like one to load or choose new game.

Dyret said:
Starships that fly like starships and not like drunken and badly injured bumble bees
You think so as well? Thank god!
I thought I was the only one!
It's like space is filled with some sort of grease and all the ships just slide around bumping into eatch-other.

It's like space is filled with some sort of grease and all the ships just slide around bumping into eatch-other.
That's the difference between atmospheric flight and inertial flight. I think it's ok. There just needs to be more commands to do the same yourself. Like a key to toggle strafe (instead of turning, sliding one direction or the other), disabling the inertial compensator, etc...

ack2000 said:
The one thing thats bothered me since I found this is there is no start screen.
I would like one to load or choose new game.
Just start the game and use the interface in-game to load any game (to start a new game, load the game with "new" in the name).

I think what he meant is that doing so is somewhat cumbersome, when it should be an initial decision: "do you want to continue a saved game or start a new game?"

Also, if you have a screwed up savegame (like I ended up several times), getting to a computer could be difficult. If the game asked at loadtime, that problem would go away.

That's the difference between atmospheric flight and inertial flight.
Well, if it *was* true inertial flight, you wouldn't stop moving when you turn the engine off. On the contrary, you'd have to turn it on to *brake*. I've never seen a game that would simulate real space mechanics, though.

That's not the flight engine, it's the inertial compensator. When you "turn off the engine", you're not turning it off. When you set speed to 0, you're telling your computer that you want to stop, so it fires the retro-thrusters. That's why it reads 'set', it's the intended speed.

I'm working on a new sound system for WCU (with a few other people). When it's done, such mistakes won't be mad by anyone, as you'll hear the thrusters firing.

As I said, it would be nice to be able to turn it off, so that you can play much more with the inertia than just the shelton slide.

The Vegastrike flight engine is newtonian. Your ship takes steps to control your inertia with counterthrusters etc and gives the illusion of more "atmospheric" flight. Want to turn off the illusion? read on.
klauss said:
As I said, it would be nice to be able to turn it off, so that you can play much more with the inertia than just the shelton slide.
You could in earlier versions before a ton of people starting complaining about it. You can add it back with a line in vegastrike.config like <bind key="`" modifier="none" command="SheltonKey" /> That key (the unshifted tilde) will then toggle your inertial compensators on and off and you can play with newtonian flight.

Anyway, It's pretty hard to tell what people want. I really can't make anything out of the bumblebee comment. The guy talking about grease and sliding I guess wants less realism in the flight engine. Others seem to want more. I'm pretty happy with where it is mself, though I'd still like to tweak the performance of some of the individual ships (tweak the power of their maneuvering thrusters if you prefer ;) ).

I know they shelton. But it also stops you from using your thrusters. What I was saying is to turn off the compensators, but still be able to manually fire the thrusters, so you can fly manually.

True enough ;) I guess that just shows that newton is in there. You'd need to change a few more things to do away with the compensators entirely.

Back