Wireless Networks OR I Found A New Reason To Hang Myself

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
Who knows stuff about Wireless Networks?

I got mine running. It's been running for a year but I finally decided to link my new PC into it. The new PC has a very strong connection to the network - but wont let me on the internet. Any ideas?

So, to clarify, it detects your home network, it allows you to connect to the home network, you can access files and drives on the network but it will not let you onto the internet? I'm assuming you've opened your network connections and selected the network connection and chosen the "use this connection" option? Also, I'm assuming that your home wireless network allows internet usage?

I should've been more specific. Its just a Linksys Broadband Router on one PC and one other computer connected successfully to it. The new PC doesn't seem to want to take and I'm damned certain I have the right passkey

I've ruled out firewall problems - because thats disabled. And the error message "IE Cannot Find Search Page" is generally the error I get when Charter ISP drops out completely. I also noticed that IE is looking for proxy settings, which I thought were automaticly assigned?

(You can tell I know nothing about networking, yes?)

You can usually get by doing practically nothing. Does the computer connect to the internet if it's directly connected to the cable modem? And then what happens when you add the router between them? You usually don't have to do any configuration at all to make this work. Create an unsecured network and try to connect to that, and then see what happens. Networking stuff isn't that hard, but there's a million little settings between your operating system and the router that could break it if they were changed.

Did you set all internet settings to auto assign (IP address, gateway,...)? Does the PC that doesn't work get a proper IP address?

Another possibility would be that the connection is restricted to certain MAC addresses, but unless you (or someone else) did specify them this won't be the case.

Oh the stories I could tell about those bloody wireless networks....
Well I'm assuming its only 2 computers on it? If theres more be careful that the frequency is set correctly for the wireless (or it may connect to the wrong machine)
But this sounds more like an IE problem.
Make sure you set the Net-connected computer to allow others into all of its drives and in your internet settings.
Broadband you say? Is this connecting through a modem style or a permanent LAN connection?
If its the second try manually going through Control panel and setting the IP up for automatic allocation. (or somesuch, I"m more hand on at fixing than instuctive but i hope putting in my 2c helps)

I know, all this sounds confusing. For a good step-by-step article look at: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/expert/russell_tabletlaptop.mspx

Yeah, it's M$, but Russel is quite good, and as long as you have XP you have a good chance to succeed.

If all this fails and all your security settings seem to be okay, maybe you have some luck with a brute force method I need to use with my laptop:
The wireless LAN card is sometimes unwilling to connect to networks, and clicking on the icon and telling it to "repair connection" does not work (tried that?). So I right-click the taskbar icon and tell the card to disable itself, the go to Settings/Network Connections and enable it again. Usually, that does the trick.

I think I found my problem - which was my own doing. I had to manually assign an IP, Subnet and Gateway to the (new) computer - but forgot to insert a DNS and Alternate DNS. What goes in there? The Wireless HUB's address?

Any DNS server will do. You usually enter your ISP's DNS server in there. You probably have this information with the stuff your ISP gave you, else you'd probably find it by plugging a PC directly into the broadband modem (cable or DSL), boot it and then use "ipconfig" in command line ("winipcfg will work for Win9x) or right-clicking on the network connection and clicking "Status".

If you can't find it, just ask a friend that has the same ISP or anyone in the same area. As I said, any DNS server in the world will do, it's just more efficient to use your ISP's because it'll have quicker response time.

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone.

Pete: For some reason, IPConfig shows the "Connection Specific DNS Suffix" to be... well, nothing. It's blank. It gives me the proper IP, Subnet and Gateway but thats it. I'll have to call someone then, won't I? Damn it.

LeHah said:
Pete: For some reason, IPConfig shows the "Connection Specific DNS Suffix" to be... well, nothing. It's blank. It gives me the proper IP, Subnet and Gateway but thats it. I'll have to call someone then, won't I? Damn it.
No, don't worry. DNS suffix can stay empty, no problem with that.

Sorry, I should have told you to type "ipconfig /all"... on a PC that's directly plugged onto the cable/DLS modem, of course (or on that friend's or whomever PC in your area). The DNS IP adresses will then be displayed.

Still nothing. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong here.

Good news: I got it to work

Bad news: It keeps dropping out. Itll have an 'excellent' connection for about 2 minutes and then shit the bed for 20 seconds, reconnect, etc

NOW what

If something used to work just fine they way it was before, and not after an upgrade then try taking your wireless kit back for a refund. It they don't accept it then a 9-iron will do the job with a bit more satisfaction.
Bear in mind some houses are just more wireless-friendly than others (I can't even use a TV card in mine due to all the aluminium structure in the walls, let along the massive metal carport, shed.......)
Of course another obvious solution would be to call a tech-guy into the house.

Back