Wingnuts, please help me...

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
I've lost everything. My girlfriend for almost two years broke up with me, and I'm a wreck...

I can't sleep, I can't sleep, I keep seeing her face everytime I close my eyes...

Is there anything a wingnut like me could do to...let out my anger?

Well, when I'm really angry I sometimes build a hard mission in Academy and play it for a few hours.

I can't offer much advice about relationships and human emotions and so forth, but I and everyone else here will be happy to be your friend right now. Come by IRC or post here a bunch or whatever's best for you--get your mind off this by talking about spaceships.

You need to get out and do something physical. When someone goes through something emotional like that the anxiety build and does havoc on the body (not to mention the mind). So you need to something that's physically tiring. Whatever that is for you: yard work, running, join a kick-boxing club, whatever. If you can find something that makes you have to focus mentally as well all the better.

Also get out with you friends. (Nothing with memories of her.) Try new things go to new places. If you can do them with your friends all the better.

Sincerely,
Shades.

I've lost everything. My girlfriend for almost two years broke up with me, and I'm a wreck...

I can't sleep, I can't sleep, I keep seeing her face everytime I close my eyes...

Is there anything a wingnut like me could do to...let out my anger?

...only time can offer some cure...

I was in a similar situation, nearly 2 years ago. And I lost everything: my girl (after 9 years of living together), my future (I was working for her parents), my publisher for my books (since the publishers were her parents or better a part of their little company) and nearly any of my (so called) friends - they stay were the money is...

And you know, here is something that helped me out: music. Loud music. Go out for the next weeks, visit clubs or cinemas...

Play any sports? Practice what ever it is. Get a punching bag; that always helps.

Read a book that has no lovey dovey relationships (aka Jurassic Park), watch good old fashion action movies. Predator and Aliens for example.

Hang out with guys, and don't talk about girls. Talk about other "guy" stuff. Like cars, or somthing.

EDIT: Heck, if the neighbors don't mind (or can't hear) a few screams lets off a bunch of steam.

This is going to sound very trite, but time does heal all wounds.

A friend of mine got dumped by his fiancee not too long ago. They had been dating for 3,4 years, something like that, had gotten engaged, and had even bought a house together. Then she dumped him, just like that.

He was pretty broken up for quite a while, but then he took up ballroom dancing to get out of the house and get active, and, wouldn't you know it, met an absolutely fantastic girl there who he hit it off with, and now is apparently happier than ever (at least, last time I talked to him).

It'll be really rough at first, but you'll get through it. And maybe even come out ahead in the end. Until you do, the advice everyone else is giving is good...do something to get your mind off her. Get out, exercise, spend time with people...your friends, not hers...engage in activity, try to pick up a new hobby...

And come here to vent whenever you need to.

Not been in a situation like this but...

...go on a long, spontaneous road trip. Just get in the car and go in some direction. Eat bad food at crappy nowhere diners, buy gas at overpriced stations, and try to get lost once or twice (but not hopelessly lost). Best I can do. I think the worst thing you could do is curl up in a corner and go nowhere and do nothing. That'd just give you more time to dwell on it.

Yep, basically the thing to do is distract yourself. Better yet, distract yourself with new things - things you two never did together. Meet new people, and spend time with friends doing activities where you can see other people. Above all, be social - it's going to be hard, but being with other people helps a lot.

Learn a new skill. Take up night courses after work on some topic you always wanted to learn. Especially get out and meet new people. Go clubbing with friends. The thing to avoid is idleness because that'll just bring back the memories.

If you need cheap ideas (avoid retail therapy or you'll be in credit counselling), try volunteering somewhere - care home, soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, etc. The appreciative smile of someone you're helping can really help.

Edit: Also, avoid doing things that can bring back memories. In your anger, toss her stuff in the trash, yes, but don't clean up your house just to keep busy - your mind will wanter. You need to keep busy and your mind occupied - basically get out of the house.

This is more for next time than right now, so maybe you can come back to it later:

In a few years you'll understand that 0% of relationships that you have when you're 14 work out. It sucks and hurts the same, but it's just not meant to be. It's highly unlikely that any girlfriend you have in your late teens will last very long into your 20s. All teens are growing up and changing so much that they're going to be somewhat different people every year.

So you won't be able to think straight for a few days, but I would suggest you try to get into the understanding that all the social activity you're in now is just there for the experience. I'm not saying not to take relationships seriously, but you next going-in plan needs to be that you're there to have fun and not pick a life partner.

Yeah, you have to keep your mind away. Try some sport Something taht will keep your mind focused and your body exhausted, wich in turn shuold help you with your sleep just not Rowing or Weightlifting, something more complex

Thank you all, it's good to know that people do actually care. I've been feeling a bit better, only a bit. Sometimes I just break out into tears, and most of the day I'm tired and want to sleep, but I can't.

Expect a mission by me appearing on the site in a few hours/days. I need to blow off steam and blasting ships seems like the only way...

Play the losing path of WC3, or the unwinnable missions in Prophecy. That, and what the other guys posted...

In a few years you'll understand that 0% of relationships that you have when you're 14 work out.

Some points of different option here. I've found that the 0% thing holds out even in adulthood. Of all the friends I've had in public school, college, jobs, gaming, and everything else I've only retained two - one from high school and one from just a general, random acquaintance. Above all else it's important to remain affectionate. Getting bitter about how life grows people apart just makes them leave sooner.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do when you can't sleep?

Watch/read really boring stuff. Insomnia is a complex beast. Your case is you're just really stressed out. As you get over it you'll probably start sleeping normally again.

Can't sleep? PLAY FREESPACE! *whooo*

No, seriously, watch /awful/ movies--it won't help you sleep, but that 2 AM brain haze will make you think some of the strangest things you find on TV are AMAZING.

Can't sleep? PLAY FREESPACE! *whooo*

No, seriously, watch /awful/ movies--it won't help you sleep, but that 2 AM brain haze will make you think some of the strangest things you find on TV are AMAZING.

Your humorous gestures made me smile a little, thank you LOAF.

I think I just need some deep Wing Commander related discussion...that should help clear my mind...

Actually LOAF is absolutely right. That's probably why they put all the utter crap on after midnight.

I continue to believe that the Disney Channel's "Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century" is the greatest film in American history because I saw it at 2 AM on a Sunday morning.

Everything in it is so clean and shiny...

Back