#wingnut v2 - Come To #Wingnut, Or Else!

you can also use another site's java applet, once it connects to whatever you linked from just type in the command line /connect irc.wcnews.com and it will shoot you over to the CIC server then just do /join #wingnut and you are there...

mIRC just says "connecting to irc.wcnews.com" until it times out for the past couple days. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I gotta figure it out before the birthday party.

I guess I do have a firewall blocking it, then. I have no idea what that means or what I can do about it, though. :p

Edit: well, I guess it's not a firewall. I just checked, and I can still connect to DALnet servers thru the same ports.

Note the Java client moved to http://irc2.wcnews.com/ Further exploring the firewall issue.. do you have an firewall or security programs you can disable? Do you have a router you can disconnect and plug directly into your network connection? Can you ping, DNS or TraceRoute 66.78.5.192? What about just connecting to 66.78.5.192, port 6667? If you have a router, have you tried forwarding data in the 6660-6669 range to your local IP? Can you load up the http://irc.wcnews.com/ webpage (with a picture of MrT, different from irc2)?

ChrisReid said:
do you have an firewall or security programs you can disable?
I had one, but now I've disabled it (and even with it running, I could connect to other mirc servers on port 6667) until I fix this (or until I miss the party :( ).

ChrisReid said:
Do you have a router you can disconnect and plug directly into your network connection?
Nope, can't plug it directly.

ChrisReid said:
Can you ping, DNS or TraceRoute 66.78.5.192?
Ping times out every time. Tracing goes under 200 ms until 66.78.63.21, after 20 hops, and number 21 is "no response from host".

ChrisReid said:
What about just connecting to 66.78.5.192, port 6667?
Times out.

ChrisReid said:
If you have a router, have you tried forwarding data in the 6660-6669 range to your local IP?
Not sure how I would go about doing that.

ChrisReid said:
Can you load up the http://irc.wcnews.com/ webpage (with a picture of MrT, different from irc2)?
Nope, times out too.

I can tracert until that point too.. there must be something blocking pings after that. But everything at this point indicates a routing problem between your ISP and the IRC server. I don't think there's anything we can do to help you.

Maybe your ISP or IP ranges have been blackholed because some abuse once originated there?

KrisV said:
Maybe your ISP or IP ranges have been blackholed because some abuse once originated there?
That's very plausible... most brazilian web-surfers are idiots. :(

I'm in Porto Alegre, in a fancy hotel. They have free broadband in the room, but it seems to be firewalled, as I cannot play gunbound either.

Guess I'll talk to the hotel's tech support, or try the free dial up isp the offer.

Must... visit... the party...

I just installed mIRC and I'm connected. But I'm trying to figure out how to get to that channel. Can someone help? Computer skills fading...

And this message keeps coming up saying it's having difficulty connecting to IRC. But I appear to be connected already.

Back