Wingmen disappearing in SM1 (Is this a bug?)

T

Thomas Korte

Hi,

This is something I have encountered through most of my campaigns within Secret Missions 1: When I import my pilot with 200 kills from Wing Commander and fly through the first four missions of SM 1, SPIRIT is reported KIA and taken from the flight roster without anyone mentioning it. She is not in the bar after that mission (her seat being empty) and you do not get to fly with her in the later missions concerning the GWNHYVAR. Bossman pretends to be talking to her in the bar though. After a few more missions, other pilots start to disapper from the roster as well and miss as wingmen without being killed during a mission where you fly next to them. I think this is a bug, but I don't know how to correct it.
Has anyone playing SM1 and importing a pilot ever encountered this bug? I think it only happens when you fly through 24 missions (instead of 18 or 21) in the first game and then import your pilot to SM1. I'd like to play both Secret Missions using DOSBOX and I need all the wingmen to stay alive. I know BOSSMAN is killed later in SM2 and also MANIAC gets taken from the flight Roster tomake room for the two new wingmen, but the others should be anle to stay alive until the end of SM2 (especially SPIRIT) who appers in WC2. I am playing the Original version of WC1. (Please comment whoever knows about this...)

Hello,

most certainly you are referring this to the Kilrathi-Saga version of WC1 ? This is the wrong forum, so at least I can't help you with that question (maybe other can , but I never played that :) )

I asked an admin for a move of this thread to the proper forum, were certainly more people are familiar with that problem. Stay tuned.

Best regards

Starman©

I posted about this several weeks ago, when I started playing SM1.

The "death" is due to a bug in the game. There's a cheat program on the downloads section of this website that will fix the problem if you run it.

As an added bonus, if you keep track of how many kills you score on your last mission in Vega, you can also use the cheat program to "return" to yourself those kills, plus any medals you may have been awarded after the last mission. :)

The same thing happened to me. I always thought that it was due to the number of kills I had racked up. I thought perhaps it was the game's way of adjusting for difficulty, you know, kind of like "they only way we can make this harder is to take away your wingman."

From what I remember, though, the patch should fix that problem just fine.

wingmen disappearing

Dougly said:
I posted about this several weeks ago, when I started playing SM1.

The "death" is due to a bug in the game. There's a cheat program on the downloads section of this website that will fix the problem if you run it.

As an added bonus, if you keep track of how many kills you score on your last mission in Vega, you can also use the cheat program to "return" to yourself those kills, plus any medals you may have been awarded after the last mission. :)

Hello again,

thanks a lot for the quick response. I am playing the Original early ninetees version of WC1/SM1/SM2 on DOSBOX. Is the patch that was mentioned also available for that version of the game? All I found so far in the downloads section of WC CIC is a so called install patch that fixes how the game senses your hardware. Is that the one?

Thank you for moving my post to the tech section, too.

Go to https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml.

Scroll down to Wing Commander. Then scroll down to Tools, Editing, and Fan Patches.

Under that section, there should be a file called WCSAV. This is described as a savegame editor. Download it, read the instructions that are included, and do what it says you need to do to run the program. Running it should automaticaly fix the bug that killed off Spirit.

This savegame editor was indeed made for the early 90s version of the game. You can read the instructions on how to use it via Windows, but you'll have to use DosBox to run the savegame editor itself.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back