WingCommander:PRIVATEER

RuBren

Spaceman
Im trying to get privateer to run on my computer, whivh is a p233 with windows 98 on it. It says that Dos doesnt have enough memory to run it. I tried increasing the memory in the advanced options of the executable, but the same problem occured. Can anyone help me?

try tripping over to the tech support area, theres a thread stuck at the top of the forum thats got instructions for making a boot disk.

Originally posted by RuBren
Im trying to get privateer to run on my computer, whivh is a p233 with windows 98 on it. It says that Dos doesnt have enough memory to run it. I tried increasing the memory in the advanced options of the executable, but the same problem occured. Can anyone help me?

Privateer 1 cannot be run in any flavour of Windows!

You need to bake a bootdisk or drop to true dos mode.

Search the net for a program called QEMM. Its a dos based memory manager. It will get you enough memory to run any dos game along with your needed drivers.

So exactly how much memory does privateer expect?

Been playing with this and came across your boards after getting the urge to play privateer again (hi everyone!)
I feel like I'm close to getting this, but still getting the not enough conventional memory error. With these entries in config and autoexec mem shows 541K conventional free, if I remove the mouse line from autoexec that number increases by 13K, but privateer will not run in either case. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for your help.

Pardek

My system files:

config.sys
------------------------
DOS=SINGLE
DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys
DeviceHigh=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.Exe 16384 HIGHSCAN ram /m3 /I=b000-b7ff
files=30
buffers=30
devicehigh=C:\realmode\Oakcdrom.sys /D:MSCD000

autoexec.bat
-----------------------
@ECHO OFF
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET PATH=C:\windows\command
c:\realmode\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000
c:\realmode\mmouse.com
REM
REM The following lines have been created by Windows. Do not modify them.
REM
C:
CD C:\WINDOWS
CALL C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /WX

Been playing with this all day... hard to tell if I'm making progress or not :/
I'm now loadhigh both mscdex and mmouse in the autoexec, and that has conventional memory up to 574K (hopefully enough). The problem now is I attempt to run priv from the command prompt and the system hangs (blinking cursor and my last few commands displayed on the screen). I get the feeling it's trying to work, but something still must be wrong...

Tried copying the cd to my hard disk and using the subst utility to replace the need for the cdrom and that frees up even more conventional memory (621K I believe) but I get the same result, system hangs. I can ctrl-alt-del reboot the system when this happens, but can't get a response from any other keystrokes.

Any thoughts? All this is booting in MSDOS mode from win98, my pc is a Celeron 433 with 256M RAM.

Pardek

Re: So exactly how much memory does privateer expect?

Originally posted by Pardek

I feel like I'm close to getting this, but still getting the not enough conventional memory error. With these entries in config and autoexec mem shows 541K conventional free, if I remove the mouse line from autoexec that number increases by 13K, but privateer will not run in either case. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for your help.

Add an "LH" in front of the MSCDEX line in order to load the driver high. Then add "/E" as parameter to use EMM as buffer. Frees up a good deal of memory when using the CD driver. As for your other problem: Are you using pure dos mode? Did you try to set sound to none?

Back