Wing Commaner IV PSX on PS2

Grimloc

Rear Admiral
Hey all,

I was just wondering, those of you who have popped your WC:IV Playstation discs into your PS2's, is there a noticable quality difference? If so, is it a good change (some games, e.g. Silent Hill, look pretty bad with texture glitches produced by the texture filtering and sound messed up by the disk speed increase)?

Website of GRIM
Code:
BoG Entry 519). Yanni has a mullet!!!
:cool:

Ummm....I've only tried it with Tony Hawk 1 and 3, the textures were improved. For most games the textures shood shape up a bit.

WC4 on PS has such a bad graphics engine that everything was fuzzy to begin with. I believe all the PS2 can do is smooth out edges and make things less jagged. That being said, you'd probably be watching gray blobs fly across a black screen.

You'll also get a slighty different Intro Vid where you hear the Dragons AI Talk.Saying things like "Collosion alert" but it's nothing major.

Do PSOne controllers work with the PS2? I'd like to get a PS2 for WC3 and 4, but I won't if my nifty dual shock WC joystick thing isn't supported...

The controllers for PS2 are identical to the ones for PSX/PSOne. This was done because of the desire to make the PS2 backwards-compatible to run PSX games. Any analog controller (the type with the mini-joysticks) can be used on either PSX or PS2.

I prefer to use the Wing Commander III controller layout when playing Wing Commander IV on the PSX

Originally posted by LeHah
... I believe all the PS2 can do is smooth out edges and make things less jagged. ...

Yes, I agree. The only thing it does is an antialiazing filter to removed the jagged edges. The textures will still sucks. It's like playing an old game using software rendering with your new Radeon 9700 pro. It will be faster, but the quality is the same.

With Bleem, Grand Turismo 2 had better quality on the Dreamcast compared on the PS2. But Bleem is dead and so is the DC. :(

I tried Tekken 3 and it wasn't good looking at all. So don't buy a PS2 just for that.

Originally posted by TopGun
I prefer to use the Wing Commander III controller layout when playing Wing Commander IV on the PSX

There's an *excellent* controller you can get that WCIV PSX specifically supports. It's made by Sony, and is a lap-sized object with two flightsticks.

This controller has my interest. What more information can you give us?

i-2.JPG

Wow, 2 sticks. How... Bizarre. Are one person supposed to used both on a single player game?

Originally posted by Delance
Wow, 2 sticks. How... Bizarre. Are one person supposed to used both on a single player game?

Yup... in WCIV, for instance, one is the throttle and one is the flight stick. It sounds weird, but it actually makes playing WCIVPSX feel very natural.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yup... in WCIV, for instance, one is the throttle and one is the flight stick. It sounds weird, but it actually makes playing WCIVPSX feel very natural.

Does the Throttle stick, also act the the Rolling device?

Cuase on the Dual Shock Controller, the Left Sick acts as the Ship Movement and the Right Stick acts as the Throttle and Rolling

Back