wing commander upgrade Q's

Wingnut

Spaceman
1st time post here. looks like a great web site.
been a fan of wing commander since wc3
was wondering if there was any upgrade versions of wc3+4 to run on Windows 98?
thanks
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
WC 3: There is an upgraded version, but I think the only way of getting it is to buy The Kilrathi Saga (which is WC 1-3, all upgraded for Win9x).
WC 4: There is a patch to get the DOS version to run in Win9x properly. This patch comes with The Kilrathi Saga. It can also be downloaded from the Origin web site.

Nighthawk

Spaceman
Is there a way to determine which version of WC4 I have? I got it installed under Win95 without any problems (which always makes me suspicious because I'm paranoid
smile.gif
This little box called "Hide Windows" does magic!). I looked through the manual and found a section describing how to set the game up under Win, but following those instructions didn't work out that well. By doing the installation on my own the game didn't complain a bit and runs without problems.
The same applies to WC3.

In case you wonder why I call this procedure "installation without problems": Installing a game by the book and failing doesn't count for me as a problem because it's normal!
biggrin.gif

OT: Post #100 (again!)

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Actually, I too played the old DOS version of WC 4 in Win9x, without any real problems... No, wait. There was one slight problem - it crashed every time I tried to test the sound in the install program. But other than that, it worked... I think. I've got the KSaga, so I decided to install the WC4WIN9X patch just in case
smile.gif
Anyway, if you play and you have no problems, than don't worry about the patch. Just keep playing...