Wing Commander tool

Panther1.0

Captain
Hey guys,

I had a tool years ago, seems most likely lost, you could customize screen savers of Origin games, I think you could bring Wing Commander 1 intro theme as a screen saver.

Is there such a tool available? Or some other cool Wing Commander screen saver or asteroid field like you guys know of or could share?

I don't know of the specific tool you speak of although I do recall an episode of All Wings Considered where @Bandit LOAF showcased an old After Dark set of screensavers with Origin title themes.

That said, these days it's rather straight forward to make a screen saver from any video of your choosing, simply using an MP4 to screensaver tool. You could capture the WC1 intro using a screen recorder, then convert it to a screen saver using a freeware converter.

Thanks Shades, I remember that tool !

danr, it's difficult to capture the old wing commanders like 1 and 2, I've capture some other games quite easy, do you know of a recorder that can capture WC1 in full screen ?

Thanks Shades, I remember that tool !

danr, it's difficult to capture the old wing commanders like 1 and 2, I've capture some other games quite easy, do you know of a recorder that can capture WC1 in full screen ?

Good question, I will have to look into that.

You could always download the Wing Commander 1 intro from YouTube and use that for a screen saver in the mean time :)

The best way to screencapture originFX is to run win3.1 in dosbox and then run originFX in within win3.1 ... at that point you could really just run WC1 and 2 in dosbox on their own and screengrab that. There's lots of dosbox options for resizing and rescaling that will get you the size you need.

AD, thank you, the thing is I don't have Origin FX anymore. would have like to test it and if it works on newer versions of Windows.

Origin FX is very much an OS stickler. I'm not aware of anyone getting it to run in newer Windows without some emulation tricks like Win 3.1 in DOSBox as AD mentioned.

I don't think it'd ever be possible to run Origin FX and have it function as an actual screensaver outside of Windows 3... the best you could hope for is emulating it as something to play around with. (On the other hand, screens don't really need saving anymore so... maybe that's all you want!) There are pre-packaged DOSBox installs that include Windows 3.1 and you can access OFX that way.

I have no idea if it works today but Captain Johnny (designer on WCP and SO) made a Wing Commander screensaver for Windows 9x many years ago that we still host: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2000/04/23/capt-johnny-s-incredible-screensaver

Back