Wing Commander Timeline

Kilrathikiller

Rear Admiral
Hi, I am trying to create a Wing Commander Timeline of all the games, books, the movie and the show. I am looking for the years in which they begin. I will include the fan fictions, like the games or other stories as long as they still hold continuity.
This is a pic I have right now but I want it even more detailed. Sorry for the little bit of fuzziness. Had to be able to fit it. Also I did include StarLancer and Freelancer on there but If I have enough objections to it I will gladly take it off since I will most likely anyways.

Attachments

• Wing Commander Timeline.jpg
    Wing Commander Timeline.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 323
Neither Starlancer nor Freelancer are in any way related to the history of the WC universe. Trimming them off will help with the space issue right there. :)

Yeah, StarLancer and FreeLancer don't really fit in a WC timeline... it's nice to want to honor some of the same people who worked on the classic wing titles, but their stories just don't go together. Heck, SL and FL are tied together by the fact that Earth is destroyed... which definately doesn't happen in Wing Commander.

A pair of corrections:
Wing Commander II was 2665-2667, not 2662.
Privateer 2 was 2789, not 2783.

The art style is really cool, I like the digital font and the yellow color!

Standoff is also later. It starts in 2668 and continues into the next year. Though I wouldn't personally include any fan projects on something like this. It'll take enough effort and space just adding in the official products.

I actually might make two timelines, one just the official games and one with the fan fictions. As for Super Wing Commander I don't think I am going to include that just for the fact it is Wing Commander 1.

here are a few more dates for your timeline, these are the books that I have in front of me but there are a few more that are in storage.

Action Stations is in 2634, just before the war started and details how it did start.
Freedom Flight occurs during the Secret Missions 1 add-on for WC1, I dont have a date for that right now, but it should be on the site here somewhere.
False Colours starts in 2669, just before the war ended, and ends about a year after that in 2670.
Fleet Action is in 2668 and tells about the false truce and the Battle of Terra.

there were 2 novelizations of the games (wc3 and wc4) which take place at the same time of the games of course.

also, Wing Commander Armada is set in 2669, just after the BoT.

I like the timeline that you have so far (minus the Lancers and unofficial fan projects of course.

Action Stations is in 2634, just before the war started and details how it did start.

Action Stations is actually a look back at 2634 from 2677.

Freedom Flight occurs during the Secret Missions 1 add-on for WC1, I dont have a date for that right now, but it should be on the site here somewhere.

Freedom Flight occurs during Secret Missions 2: Crusade in 2655.

False Colours starts in 2669, just before the war ended, and ends about a year after that in 2670.

False Colors' epilogue extends into 2671.

Where is SWC?

I just saw the link to the 3DO Super Wing Commander movie clips! :)

Super Wing Commander is a remake of the first one... although, given that the secret mission at the end of SWC and Wing Commander Crusade are different, I do think there should be a special spot for the Super Wing Commander SM2.

Super Wing Commander is a remake of the first one... although, given that the secret mission at the end of SWC and Wing Commander Crusade are different, I do think there should be a special spot for the Super Wing Commander SM2.

Yes, the third campaign in Super Wing Commander is a story about the Tiger's Claw destroying the shipyards where the Sivar was built. Timeline-wise it happens in 2655, right before Secret Misions 2. It's sometimes called 'Secret Missions 1.5' by fans.

The novel Wing Commander is the novelization of the movie. In addition to providing some solid dates, it also includes scenes that were cut from the movie, particularly the Pilgrim traitor showdown on the ComCon ship.

(Blair lost his Pilgrim cross/knife in that fight, which is why Paladin gave up his own to Blair for the run to Sol system to warn the fleet. With the scene cut from the movie, the gift to Blair doesn't make much sense.)

I believe it does. Taggart is revealing himself a Pilgrim, which we didn't know up until then. It's a sign of his trust and faith in Blair.

I'd always considered the film to be in a sort of parallel universe to the games. It doesn't really make much sense to me to have them in the same timeline. You'd have two Todd Marshals (both with callsigns of Maniac), two Christopher Blairs, two Kien Chens (both called Bossman) all stationed on a ship called the Tiger's Claw in the Vega sector in the same year.

I appreciate the attempt to bind the film into the Universe proper, but I can't quite shoe-horn the film into the time-line of the games. I'd be happy to hear an explanation though, if anybody has one.

I believe it does. Taggart is revealing himself a Pilgrim, which we didn't know up until then. It's a sign of his trust and faith in Blair.

I'd always considered the film to be in a sort of parallel universe to the games. It doesn't really make much sense to me to have them in the same timeline. You'd have two Todd Marshals (both with callsigns of Maniac), two Christopher Blairs, two Kien Chens (both called Bossman) all stationed on a ship called the Tiger's Claw in the Vega sector in the same year.

I appreciate the attempt to bind the film into the Universe proper, but I can't quite shoe-horn the film into the time-line of the games. I'd be happy to hear an explanation though, if anybody has one.

Why does no one else have a problem w/ this? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS A PROBLEM WITH JAMES TAGGART BEING FRENCH!? Seriously, he's freaken french! Seriously, what couldn't they find a B-list actor who was actually Scottish to play the lovable Paladin? Instead they make him a cheese eating surrender monkey,

Why does no one else have a problem w/ this? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS A PROBLEM WITH JAMES TAGGART BEING FRENCH!? Seriously, he's freaken french! Seriously, what couldn't they find a B-list actor who was actually Scottish to play the lovable Paladin? Instead they make him a cheese eating surrender monkey,

Are you being sarcastic, or just an indiot. This is a warning... while it's ok to discuss the movie, the debate has been done to death and there's some fairly solid explanations for most of the stuff there. Things that are potentially controversial are best aproached judiciously.

Don't insult peoples nationality either.

I believe it was actually the WC4 novel that talks about Paladins accent being fake anyway.... Part of his covert ops life. THere's more to it but that's the simplest explanation. Would I have prefered a scottish accent? Sure, but the french one doesn't bother me either.

Regarding continuity, the introductions in WC1 are a gameplay consideration. at the time, there was no other material to reference. That doens't mean he's meeting them for the first time, even though as players we were meeting them back in the early 90's. Bossman is actually only MIA in the movie though I believe that's explained in the novel. So sometime between the movie and the game he gets rescued. There's more but I'll either let someone else fill in or a search will turn up a number of discusions on it.

Didn't Chen have a wife and child? So presumably the film was suggesting he was having some sort of affair with Angel then. Not inconceivable, but it does seem to be a bit of a change for his character.

As for Paladins' accent, I'm not convinced that really makes sense. He changes his accent, but not his name? I don't know, it all seems a little tenuous to me.

On an incidental note, I'm quite a fan of Tcheky Karyo. I've yet to see him in a bad film. Damn fine actor.

Are you being sarcastic, or just an indiot. This is a warning... while it's ok to discuss the movie, the debate has been done to death and there's some fairly solid explanations for most of the stuff there. Things that are potentially controversial are best aproached judiciously.

Don't insult peoples nationality either.

I believe it was actually the WC4 novel that talks about Paladins accent being fake anyway.... Part of his covert ops life. THere's more to it but that's the simplest explanation. Would I have prefered a scottish accent? Sure, but the french one doesn't bother me either.

Jeez... apologies, I didn't mean to insult anyone, or be sarcastic... I didn't know this was such a militant topic. Yeah the part at the end was supposed to be a simpsons crack, but thats all. But may I ask you to follow your own advice about insulting people. In any case, I'll bow out of this one gracefully before the fire spreads.

Back