Wing Commander Tattoo

Peterson

Rear Admiral
I'm looking for some advice. I've been thinking about getting another tattoo, and it would be nice to illustrate my affection for Wing Commander in some subtle way, ie. not having "I <3 WING COMMANDER" scrawled across my forehead. :p

Any ideas? Preferably a symbol or quote, but as I said, it should be fairly subtle, so the average person wouldn't know what it was in reference to, but a fellow Wingnut would recognise it.

I've been thinking about this. I would want mine to be some kind of in-continuity reference and have come up with two options - neither of which we can do yet...

1. In the rough cut of the Wing Commander movie, Paladin shows Blair a tattoo identifying that he was in a Kilrathi prison camp. I'm guessing it was probably a single Kilrathi character/symbol - but we won't know until we find that original version of the movie...

2. One of the Arena achievements reads: "Commando: Earned Commando Tattoo (15 Frags in a Melee Match). (10 points)". I don't know what this means within the context of the game, but I'm betting there's some kind of tattoo-symbol achievement you earn.

Wing Commander has some interesting logos, like Confed, Kilrathi, Border Worlds... (tought I wouldn't recomend tatooing a crescent on yourself). Does the WC1 squadrons have logos?

Or you could just tatoo a Rapier II.

"The Price of Freedom" is too generic . Is there any other good quote that would fit the description?

I've been thinking about this. I would want mine to be some kind of in-continuity reference and have come up with two options - neither of which we can do yet...

1. In the rough cut of the Wing Commander movie, Paladin shows Blair a tattoo identifying that he was in a Kilrathi prison camp. I'm guessing it was probably a single Kilrathi character/symbol - but we won't know until we find that original version of the movie...

2. One of the Arena achievements reads: "Commando: Earned Commando Tattoo (15 Frags in a Melee Match). (10 points)". I don't know what this means within the context of the game, but I'm betting there's some kind of tattoo-symbol achievement you earn.

Hmm, the first one sounds interesting as I like the appearance of Kilrathi writing characters. Do we ever see Kn'thrak spelt out in the original Kilrathi? Although that may be a kind of strange thing to get tattooed on yourself. "Ooh, nice ink. What does it mean?" "Oh, darkness, despair, end of days... that sort of thing." ;)

"The Price of Freedom" is too generic . Is there any other good quote that would fit the description?

Well, I'd have the full, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." if anything.

Hmm, the first one sounds interesting as I like the appearance of Kilrathi writing characters. Do we ever see Kn'thrak spelt out in the original Kilrathi? Although that may be a kind of strange thing to get tattooed on yourself. "Ooh, nice ink. What does it mean?" "Oh, darkness, despair, end of days... that sort of thing." ;)

Well, I'd have the full, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." if anything.

PoF is a quote from Thomas Jefferson however, so it goes to both WC and history. If you got a piece of Kilrathi script it would be cool, although I bet everyone would ask you what that chinese symbol was.

I'd say the crossed daggers with a Kat skull which was the emblem of the elite Confed Marine unit in End Run.

I always liked that origin/confed star symbol, what's it called?

I would never tatoo it though, as it might be to mainstream :)

I always liked that origin/confed star symbol, what's it called?

A "compass rose".
http://www.brasscompass.com/compboxrose.htm

I would never tatoo it though, as it might be to mainstream :)

The 'Hell's Archers' Arrow squadron emblem from the Mag Force 7 shirt would make an AWESOME tattoo, and it's vague enough that it would only be recognized by hardcore WC fans.

ccgshirt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back