Wing Commander:Tactics Gettisburg

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
After the Hornet, here is the (as of yet untextured) Gettisburg battleship for wing commander tactics, the nexus mod.
it's not totally finished as i'll add some more detail the refernce didn't have.

Attachments

• GettyPersp.jpg
    GettyPersp.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Gettybelow.jpg
    Gettybelow.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 97
I didnt think this would work out. Maybe i was wrong. Great work... I think more people migth join your project now. Wish there was something i could do to help out.

I like your version better. I like where you placed the filghtdeck underneath the ship instead of in the back. Good job.

thanks a lot, guys! :D
the model i used a a source(the one a fleet tactics) didn't show the hangar, so i just placed it per gusto

He probably won't for the Gettysburg Battleship since it's not in there...

Looks like a nice model, Chevie. You're wanting to convert this to which engine again?

the only thing is....the gettysburg class CRUISER was an exeter frame scaled up many times....not this thing.

Its been a while since I played through WC1 but I don't think they even scaled the Exeter model in the game...

it was the same sprite, they didn't change sizes. but we know it was an exeter hull because thats what the Austin was. basically, its the exeter scaled up 20 times (maybe not that much...but you get the idea) and it was a cruiser. we see it in SM2.

We know very few things about these ships. Chiefly:

* Freedom Flight names them Gettysburg-class Cruisers.
* Jazz mentions that the Austin is "larger than the Tiger's Claw" in Super Wing Commander.
* Secret Missions 2 reuses the Exeter-class Destroyer artwork when the Austin appears briefly.

There's some other minor details in Freedom Flight about the Austin's fighter wing and so forth, but it's not overly relevant (save perhaps that they carry a single fighter squadron).

Given that one of these three 'known points' is the classification, I'm not sure why Fleet Tactics/Saga decided they were dreadnaughts. That said, both their artwork and the art presented in this thread does seem to be an honest attempt to make a 'big Exeter'.

Nicely done; it should look splendid when textured. It does seem a tad low-poly, since I don't know the poly counts for Nexus as of yet.

(But with my copy of it in the mail, I will, soon).

Bandit LOAF said:
Given that one of these three 'known points' is the classification, I'm not sure why Fleet Tactics/Saga decided they were dreadnaughts. That said, both their artwork and the art presented in this thread does seem to be an honest attempt to make a 'big Exeter'.

Probably because a "cruiser" larger than an assault carrier without any space wasted on fighters probably packs a huge punch. I don't know about "dreadnaught" as I haven't been able to shoot at one yet, and you can apply that to anything you want. "Cruiser" is relative... the Ticonderoga we now run is one of the more powerful warships available, and is called cruiser. The Soviet Kirovs were also tagged Cruiser by many people despite being large and very powerful for the time.

This looks realy good. It has a WC1 feel to it, but it's brand new. Congratulations. This mod shows great potetial if all models are as good as this.

i made this one after fleet tactics, so it's looking similar to theirs, obviously. i must admid i can't remember how the original looked, (and then it was a ega/vga sprite)
as for the designation battleship, this follows the terminology of nexus, the game this ship is for.
nexus capital ship polycounts range from 3000-5000, the getty is ~3300.
the original numbers will change somewhat anyway, since fighters played only a minor role in nexus. something i will hopefully change somewhat in WC:T.
but with more important role of fighters, i'll also want them to be more detailed, thus saving polys a bit on the capships.

returing to the battleship designation, there are a few things that will be changed in WC:T, among those will be a mostly origninal storyline i concieved after playing wing commander 1 a long time ago. for example, i never pictured the confedetration to be humans only...
i also plan to include new ships, like a kilrathi frigate called the "lasari", since the kilrathis don't seem to have this class

another thing that had me wondering, i keep reading the cats favor big overgunned battleships, but the don't really seem to have any. the sivar dreadnaught was a single ship, as was thrakath's super warship in wc3

Probably because a "cruiser" larger than an assault carrier without any space wasted on fighters probably packs a huge punch. I don't know about "dreadnaught" as I haven't been able to shoot at one yet, and you can apply that to anything you want. "Cruiser" is relative... the Ticonderoga we now run is one of the more powerful warships available, and is called cruiser. The Soviet Kirovs were also tagged Cruiser by many people despite being large and very powerful for the time.

You can't apply it to anything you want - ship classification isn't a random affair. Wing Commander clearly differentiates between different magnitudes of warships - destroyers, cruisers, battleships, dreadnaughts and so forth.

as for the designation battleship, this follows the terminology of nexus, the game this ship is for.

Battleship is a class in Wing Commander as well, but it generally refers to a heavier sort of warship not found often since the start of the war. Battleships mount large calibur plasma weapons and don't carry fighters.

returing to the battleship designation, there are a few things that will be changed in WC:T, among those will be a mostly origninal storyline i concieved after playing wing commander 1 a long time ago. for example, i never pictured the confedetration to be humans only...

The Confederation is made up of half a dozen different species (seven, for the period that the Confederation included Firekka), though humans are certainly the predominant group.

another thing that had me wondering, i keep reading the cats favor big overgunned battleships, but the don't really seem to have any. the sivar dreadnaught was a single ship, as was thrakath's super warship in wc3

The Kilrathi have pretty much the same naval doctrine as the Confederation does, with their major battle groups focusing around supporting carriers.

Thrakhath's ship was one of five Hvar’kann-class dreadnoughts known to exist.

Bandit LOAF said:
Thrakhath's ship was one of five Hvar’kann-class dreadnoughts known to exist.

Why didnt they send them all in at once while letting the inferior ship play defensive? That would surely have broken confeds back!

They were getting ready to at the end of WCIII -- the ships were gathering at Kilrah for a final attack.

Back