wing commander secret missions won't play on ATI Radeon X1300 in win xp!

webe123

Rear Admiral
OK, I have win xp pro and a ATI Radeon X1300 video card. But even though the kilrathi saga plays fine....I cannot seem to get WC secret missions to play without being kicked out to windows!

I have win xp SP2 installed.

System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(FAT 32- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon X1300 AGP(8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD recorder (records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats-4x-24x-4x) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Can anyone tell me HOW to get this working?

hmmm...
find your way to where the executables are like SM1.exe and SM2.exe, press right mouse on them, go to propoerties and then click "compatability", then try setting it to "window 95 mode", press apply and see if that helps, if not, then I am fresh out of ideas other than reinstalling the addons (maybe they corrupt?)

Well that DID help in that now it is not going out to windows....but NOW my stupid optical mouse does not work! It just goes to one side of the screen and freezes! ARRAHHHHH!!!!!!

This is so fustrating!

Well that DID help in that now it is not going out to windows....but NOW my stupid optical mouse does not work! It just goes to one side of the screen and freezes! ARRAHHHHH!!!!!!

This is so fustrating!

This is winxp we're talking about right? Do you have any other game controlers plugged in at the same time? Make sure there isn't more than one USB joystick or gamepad plugged in. Try adjusting the hardware acceleration settings for directx for sound and video... or even game controlers. Iy you turn some of the settings off for WC4 or prophecy try turning them back on. or off if they were on.

It actually sounds though like it's detecting an uncalibrated joystick. The original didn'y have an option to turn it on but would only detect the joystick when you moved it. What happens when you hit alt-o in the game?

This is winxp we're talking about right? Do you have any other game controlers plugged in at the same time? Make sure there isn't more than one USB joystick or gamepad plugged in. Try adjusting the hardware acceleration settings for directx for sound and video... or even game controlers. Iy you turn some of the settings off for WC4 or prophecy try turning them back on. or off if they were on.

It actually sounds though like it's detecting an uncalibrated joystick. The original didn'y have an option to turn it on but would only detect the joystick when you moved it. What happens when you hit alt-o in the game?

Yes,win xp pro. And nothing happens when hitting alt-o. I do not have prophecy or wc4 installed, just WC 1 and 2 in the kilrathi saga. I calibrated thejoystick in win xp and it works fine in xp, but no luck in secret missions at all....

But special operations 1 and 2 runs fine!

This is the second downloaded zip file for secret missions....so it is NOT a corrupt game.

It could be worth trying to alt-tab out of the game while it's running and then recalibrate it in Windows.

Well it was worth a shot, but I tried and no go. But thanks anyway! I also reformatted and put on only regular win xp! (No SP2!) But it seems that SP2 was not the problem. I still can play special operations....guess I will just have to be happy with that.

Back