Wing Commander Secret Missions 1 and 2 with DOSBox

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
Hi all.
I recently recieved my copies of Secret Missions 1 and 2 and went to install them. However halfway through the installation of the first secret missions pack, when it gets to the graphics conversion part of the install an error occurs and it refuses to proceed any further. When I run Wing Commander it does not detect the first secret missions.
Anyone get any ideas? Please do not dismiss this thread, I am using an original copy of Wing Commander (with 6 or so disks) and disk copies of the secret missions. Thanks for any help!

Does DOSBox give the Error (the Window in the Background) or the DOSBox (where the setup is shown)? And what Error message is there? Something like: Pls put in Disk so and so? Or Bad File read? Maybe you could give a little bit more info. And while you are at it, maybe some of your PC specs. - Perhaps that helps, too ;)

Btw, no idea about the Floppy Version, only got the CD one, but could you perhaps copy the files manually to the Gamedat folder? Just a thought...

I think it might be a bad disk. Shame too the game was sealed when I got it. Secret Missions 2 works fine. I tried copying the files manually and then the game would just crash when I tried to tranfer my characters or run the game.
The message comes from the install program itself. It will say Converting Graphics ship.v20 (for example) and it lists the files, after the first one or two it says error! in the list of files being installed and the program will say "Finishing installing files! Press any key!" and then it exits.
When I tried copying the files however I noticed several said "Cannot copy file, cannot be read from the source."

My PC specs are the following:
Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.8
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Sound Blaster Live! Value
512MB KingMax DD400 PC3200 RAM
Windows XP Home Edition

All my hardware and my operating system is up to date. Is it possible for people to send me the damaged files or would that be illegal? That makes me sound sus but I'm honestly using a legitimate copy. I have PayPal reciepts, ebay history etc. I could even scan the two boxes and show you the box they were mailed in.

Yes, no problem, I'll do that. Just tell me which files are damaged and I'll send them to you. ;) - And no, I don't think it's illegal, cause you bought the game anyway.

EDIT: To the SM2 crashing: You'll need to make a file called "CRUSADE.CFG" - it's content should be the same as in the "WINGCMDR.CFG" - so best is to simply copy that file and rename it ;) - Hopefully that'll help.
To the Files again: Well, I guess cause it's less than 1mb I'll simply send you all the files. - If you feel better, you can scan in your box or so, but you don't have to, I trust you. ;)

Thanks for that! It's honestly a legitimate copy! I'll try installing it again (after I finish my homework) and I'll write down the list of files that are playing up. Thanks again!

Back