Wing Commander Relaunch

Just to see if I was completely out of my gourd about this little nitpick, I thought I'd google 58th Wildcards.

On the first page alone, I have 3 non-SAaB related groups using that exact designation.

Now, I'll admit, that's 3. And I din't move on and I will admit that the majority on the first page are fansites or the like of the show. However, I remember a while back when one couldn't find a flightsim or Sci-fi RPG site that didn't have at least one 58th Wildcards in there somewhere. Obviously this is not the case anymore (not surprising, considering that the show is 10 years old and the majority of impressionable youth with minimal creativity have barely heard of the show).

Strigoi said:
Just to see if I was completely out of my gourd about this little nitpick, I thought I'd google 58th Wildcards.

On the first page alone, I have 3 non-SAaB related groups using that exact designation.

Now, I'll admit, that's 3. And I din't move on and I will admit that the majority on the first page are fansites or the like of the show. However, I remember a while back when one couldn't find a flightsim or Sci-fi RPG site that didn't have at least one 58th Wildcards in there somewhere. Obviously this is not the case anymore (not surprising, considering that the show is 10 years old and the majority of impressionable youth with minimal creativity have barely heard of the show).

The results seem to be mainly things like random CounterStrike clans. You'll find clans/guilds/rpgs named after every sci-fi body you can think of. "Terran Confederations" and "Kilrathi Empires" still exist in obscure MMOs today.

Mortech said:
Man I loved that series , does anyone know if Space : Above and Beond will be released on DVD ?

it's released, with discs that often have defects, and a menu that stole images from Babylon 5

No!!

Delance said:
Yeah, I remember that. Hey LOAF, remember the McQueen guy from SAAB? He's a character on 24. Finally, WC and SAAB meet. Anyways, the next thing is the upcoming Star Wars TV show.

It'd be great to have a WC show, however. If they can remake BSG, WC isn't that far fetched.

God I hope that never happens it would be just as bad as Space Above and Beyond. What they need to do is release everything in a stable XP format. Then I wouldn't have to look at my Privateers box and cry 7 times a day.

Crazydog7 said:
God I hope that never happens it would be just as bad as Space Above and Beyond. What they need to do is release everything in a stable XP format. Then I wouldn't have to look at my Privateers box and cry 7 times a day.
You ever heard of dosbox?;)

I actually liked that show. The only thing I didn't like is that, because of their budget, they reused a lot of the space scenes. I also would have liked to see more space fighting. It is amusing that the Babylon 5 station is in the background on the menu screen. They must have thought the fans wouldn't notice.

Hawkjoe said:
The only thing I didn't like is that, because of their budget, they reused a lot of the space scenes.

That's not unheard of, after all Star Trek Deep Space Nine did the same thing several times throughout the course of the series.

Reusing stock footage goes back a long time, and not just for science fiction TV series. It just tends to be more visible for them because SF shows tend towards having higher expenses due to effects costs.

part of the pilot for SAAB was filmed at Williamtown RAAF base, you might notice part of the hornets in the background are from 77 sqd. (i dont remember if you can see the 77 logo - tigers head)

About the PNR Entertainment site: there is a "quote" (I put the word itself in quotes because it seems possible that these are 'anticipated' quotes) about the Wing Commander TV Series:

Wing Commander: The Television Series: Chris Roberts (a.k.a. "gaming God") does it again. In your face action and incredible special effects - TV Style.

Is it possible that there's a pilot episode floating around out there?

Nu

Nope, never got to that stage.

We worked with one of the producers for the sales pitch a few years back, thoughl.

Crazydog7 said:

Space Above and Beyond was a great show that has quite a following here. The original Privateer plays great in DOSBox on XP machines, and it's also being released to the GameTap service soon.

I used to hunt episodes of SAAB (got a cloth patch {pinned to my hoodie, like my privateer one} of the 48th Squardron: DEATH ON CALL). They were so hard to find.

After seeing the post here, I tracked down a torrent site with all of the episodes. Couldn't bring myself to do it. Shopped around and ended up ordering the whole thing on DVD for $25. :) And while I was at it, finally added "the ultimate matrix collection" box set to the order - so now I'll have both of those coming in the mail soon. I just couldn't bring myself to pirate such good stuff. I remember thinking SAAB was the closest thing to a live action WC show, and getting addicted to it. :)

NuAngel

Yeah, I've been wanting to buy the entire collection of SAAB, I only watched a small part of one episode but it sure looked neat.

This looks legit, but be careful buying DVDs on Ebay. There are still a lot of bootlegs and imported (subpar quality) DVDs floating around. I heard of somebody getting a bad import of Seaquest well after it was officially released.

I prefer to use DeepDiscountDVD, Half.com, ect to Ebay.

Beckmen said:
I prefer to use DeepDiscountDVD, Half.com, ect to Ebay.

There's absolutely no difference between ebay and half.com when it comes to bootlegs. They're both the same company, and they both allow anyone to post stuff for sale. The only difference is that eBay has buyers bidding up to the end, and Half.com has sellers bidding down in the beginning. They're the same thing just working in reverse of each other.

I've seen people getting their share of bootlegged garbage, but the guy I linked to that's selling the box set dirt cheap just buys in mass quantities and sells cheap. A rating like his (nearly 24,000) doesn't come through bootlegging. :)

Nu

I'd say for this kind of stuff, always email them and make sure they are the R1 (or whatever region you happen to live in) studio versions, just to be safe.

I don't know what I was thinking when I said the half.com thing. Chris is right, it's just as easy to pull that Korean knock-off DVD crap on that site.

Back