Wing Commander Relaunch

That website hasn't been updated in several years -- there was serious talk of doing a Wing Commander television series in 2001, but it fell through.

Yeah, I remember that. Hey LOAF, remember the McQueen guy from SAAB? He's a character on 24. Finally, WC and SAAB meet. Anyways, the next thing is the upcoming Star Wars TV show.

It'd be great to have a WC show, however. If they can remake BSG, WC isn't that far fetched.

Hey LOAF, remember the McQueen guy from SAAB? He's a character on 24. Finally, WC and SAAB meet.

Your pregnant thinking horse has given birth to a sterile logic mule.

I don't get the horse thing, but it makes more sense than the crazy connections delance keeps making.

Hi guys. I'm new to the WC boards so I'll just jump right in with a comment. I used to believe that Space: Above and Beyond is what a Wing Commander tv series should have been ( with a few minor changes of course). Anyone else think that?

skulker2000 said:
Hi guys. I'm new to the WC boards so I'll just jump right in with a comment. I used to believe that Space: Above and Beyond is what a Wing Commander tv series should have been ( with a few minor changes of course). Anyone else think that?

Welcome. A lot of us enjoyed the show and have the Box Set. Though S:AaB is more marines in space than WC which focuses on the planes. When I first saw the show I did see some similarities and such though.

It was released on DVD a year ago http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BCCAEQ/qid=1148798033
B000BCCAEQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=18261

AD said:
Though S:AaB is more marines in space than WC which focuses on the planes. When I first saw the show I did see some similarities and such though.

Aside from all the moral ambiguity...

And Wing Commander never created the most annoyingly copied Squadron name/number ever...

Strigoi said:
Aside from all the moral ambiguity...

And Wing Commander never created the most annoyingly copied Squadron name/number ever...

What's wrong with the squadron name and number? Wildcards is fairly generic.

Nothing on their own; honestly I think that Wildcards is actually quite a good squadron name.
My problem is that there aren't any 236th Wildcards, or 9th Tactical Air Squadron "Wildcards". No, it's ALWAYS the 58th Wildcards. Obviously this is in regards to the internet, I suspect that if there is a real squadron designated the Wildcards it's not the 58th.

Back in the day, I was watching the pilot episode, and the briefing they had before engaging the enemy in the asteroid belt reminded me (a lot) of WC1.

Strigoi said:
Nothing on their own; honestly I think that Wildcards is actually quite a good squadron name.
My problem is that there aren't any 236th Wildcards, or 9th Tactical Air Squadron "Wildcards". No, it's ALWAYS the 58th Wildcards. Obviously this is in regards to the internet, I suspect that if there is a real squadron designated the Wildcards it's not the 58th.

And if it's in use on the internet, it's a tribute to SAAB, but I've never seen any non-SAAB thing use that combination.

Yes, one could call them a tribute, although I find that when someone names a guild or clan it dilutes the individuality and personal attitude of that group.

As an example, when Top Gun came out, fighter pilot registries became swamped with Maverick and Iceman callsigns (yes, I'm sure everyone knows this). Now, no doubt these are cool callsigns, and if I were to be nicknamed one of these I would be flattered. HOWEVER, because the majority of these were due to the movie, people weren't being nicknamed because of personality quirks of their very own, they were being labeled in reference to someone else. On paper this makes everyone a carbon copy of everyone else with that nickname. And on the internet, everything is "on paper".

I hope this makes sense, and I don't sound like I'm lecturing about how my view on reality is the only right way (even though it is. ;) )

Quite the opposite, even -- the 'fake' squadron for SAaB fandom back in the day was the 59th Ready Reserve... which is specifically what impressed us into making our shirts and hats and such for Wing Commander fans be for the TCS Eisen rather than some central game ship.

Back