Wing Commander Redux

jerid13

Spaceman
I'd like to remake Wing Commander I with a new engine and graphics. 3D all the way. I'm a graphic artist and 3D modeler and would like to lead this project. I've even begun concept art for ships and locations. Anyone who's interested, drop a line here...

alright... let's here some name suggestions for a remake of Wing Commander I. (i'm havin' trouble thinking of one:rolleyes: )

Yeah, but it kinda dead. HCl and a few others (including me) were working on it a while back... but it got cancelled because, well, IMHO I think there wasn't such a big point in doing it. WC1 and WC2 are great the way they are, and a mod in a new engine wouldn't feel the same.

Besides, HCl is the most capable WC editing guy and he was doing most of the mission building while he could work on enhancing the already existing games, witch is much more exciting.

But the work done on this project wasn't in vain, as a few models from it were used in UE.

Ok, just to be clear... I LOVE the original WC. I hold a very secret and sacred place in my heart for it.

What I'm proposing is a "re-envision" of the game. The concept drawings I'm working on will show this. Of course you'll fly the Hornet or the Rapier, just don't be surprised if they look a little different!

I'm not trying to make the game "better". I'd just like to see an update that I can play on XP.

I'll post some of the concept art soon. That should get peoples attention...:)

Hi jerid13,

Wing Commander 1 has a special place in my heart too. So much so that I'm currently working on a total conversion of Wing Commander 1 to the Freespace 2 engine. So far I've modelled all the Kilrathi and Confed fighters, plus the Tiger's Claw, and I've imported them into a mission. Plus I've put in a bit of the music...

Check it out:

http://www.pegasus3d.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2408

I have a lot of work to go, but I'm having tons of fun with it! My goal is to recreate the "feel" of Wing 1 as much as possible, using the same sorts of missions and realizing the ships as closely to the original as possible, but also allow for some enhanced mission events utilizing the advanced triggers and capship options available in Fred2, the Freespace 2 mission editor.

VERY VERY VERY good! Now maybe I can play WC1 on my own machine. BTW, are you doing that all by yourself. Very good stuff! :) :)

Thanks. Yes, I am working on it by myself, because I really want to learn how to do mods for Freespace 2, from top to bottom. It's a lot more work that way but I also learn a lot more.

I'm sure playing the original WCs in modern engines is something many people would like, but alas, they tend to be left behind in favour of original fan projects like UE.

That's fine by me-- and I'm really enjoying playing Unknown Enemy right now as a matter of fact. I'm having a lot of fun with this project. Today I did the models for the Venture, Drayman and Exeter (screenshots will be forthcoming in the same thread I linked to in my first post in this thread)

EDIT: I've added the pics. Check the link again.

Wedge009 said:
I'm sure playing the original WCs in modern engines is something many people would like, but alas, they tend to be left behind in favour of original fan projects like UE.
::Notices Wedge's new avatar::

Hey, Wedgie, I never knew you was so white, boy!...

Just an update, I've done the models for the Ralari and Fralthi, meaning I've finished the basic FS2 models for all Confed and Kilrathi fighers and capital ships (I still have to do the Star Post that you destroy in the last mission)

The models still need a lot of texture work, and things like weapons, shields, engines etc still need to be added, but still, it's progress, and all ships are flyable/viewable in the FS2 engine!

Back