"Wing Commander Reboot" Timeline

- Appealing to alternate history fans. The appeal of alternate history is the fact that it's an actual debate you can have fun with *forever*. Someone posits a single change to history and everyone debates what the effect might be. It's impossible to know, but every contributor can keep finding more and more evidence from history to support their opinion. Doesn't a single-serving "this is the alternate history of something" blorb with some internet guy's changes throughout defeat the purpose? Here's how Wing Commander works when I say it that way. Well, that's an interesting thought, but Fleet Action states that... oh, no, I changed that, it's not relevant anymore, this is how it works now.

Just to be sure I understand what you're saying, is that his AH of WC is too broad and hard to focus on for AH debate?
Whereas the (possible) AH element of Standoff is a little more focused and easier to debate (since we did have a fairly good sized discussion thread on the 'best' ending of Standoff)?

I guess having an alternate history discussion of WC makes as much sense as it does with actual history -- we change one thing and everyone debates that based on the facts we already have from the Wing Commander canon.

But a pre-set 'here, I changed a bunch of stuff, enjoy" doesn't make sense to me--there's no discussion, there's no thought being put into it beyond the initial person assuring us they had some reason to do what they did.

Just to be sure I understand what you're saying, is that his AH of WC is too broad and hard to focus on for AH debate?
Whereas the (possible) AH element of Standoff is a little more focused and easier to debate (since we did have a fairly good sized discussion thread on the 'best' ending of Standoff)?
I don't understand why you're dragging Standoff into this: Standoff is a fan-made story indeed, but it tries hard as hell to not contradict the established canon at all. How can you say say Standoff has alternate history elements ? If you're refering only to the ending, it's been said numerous times that only one considered the "real" ending, just like the official WC games.

I don't understand why you're dragging Standoff into this: Standoff is a fan-made story indeed, but it tries hard as hell to not contradict the established canon at all. How can you say say Standoff has alternate history elements ? If you're refering only to the ending, it's been said numerous times that only one considered the "real" ending, just like the official WC games.

He is refferring to this thread

He is refferring to this thread

It's still a totally different thing. Having winning/losing paths through a story is a basic foundational element of the Wing Commander series. Randomly changing a bunch of stuff for no reason is just really weird though.

People write fan fiction all the time. That's cool. But this particular fan fiction is just absurd in how it takes so many different elements and oddballs them to hell with no explanation.

I'm confused. I thought that the winning and sort of losing paths were both canon but from different points of view. Was I wrong in that assumption?

I'm confused. I thought that the winning and sort of losing paths were both canon but from different points of view. Was I wrong in that assumption?

Sort of. Canon typically pics one particular path for which future games and books will reference. Not every developer has the resources to make a game where every option gets carried over like in Mass Effect.

It's still a totally different thing. Having winning/losing paths through a story is a basic foundational element of the Wing Commander series. Randomly changing a bunch of stuff for no reason is just really weird though.

People write fan fiction all the time. That's cool. But this particular fan fiction is just absurd in how it takes so many different elements and oddballs them to hell with no explanation.

(Specifically dealing with the Standoff thread and my referencing of it) But in that thread, didn't we deal with the 'best' ending as if it were an alternate history? People even wrote small TLs based on what would have happened if that ending had happened.

That's the driving difference LOAF is after. It's an open discussion, not some website format that doesn't allow for commentary.

It's more than that. We can comment on the reboot thing here just like the Standoff game. The big problem is that that reboot's changes seem very stupid and pointless. There's got to be a logical or somewhat sensible reason for something. The changes in that reboot are lame as hell. They're not at all a "ahh... Yeah... That would be interesting.". Every change makes you scratch your head and think "why the hell would he even write that?"

Back