Wing Commander reality

Cricket said:
I just don't like Startrek because the people are just too nice. I mean, it's annoying how morally correct they always act

They're so "nice" because most of the characters work so close together on board the ship/station, they're sort of a nice big, happy family. Also, they're not all nice. The Maquis can be downright treacherous at times. Anyway, that's enough of that...

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Vondoom: Thanks. Crusade dead? Can't say I'm really surprised. The story could've used some more work - not enough development on the characters, the Drakh (sp?), technomages, etc.
However I really did like the Excalibur's main gun. To see that thing charge up and then work it's magic
cool.gif
!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dralthi5 said:
They're so "nice" because most of the characters work so close together on board the ship/station, they're sort of a nice big, happy family. Also, they're not all nice. The Maquis can be downright treacherous at times. Anyway, that's enough of that...

You`re kinda missing Cricket`s point. In every series the good characters are nice to each other. The point is, that humanity as a whole is too nice. No poverty, no crime. nothing. It`s so unhuman.
smile.gif
frown.gif

Taht's why it's a utopia: the ideal society that can never be realized.
Altough DS9 did try to take it away from the "we humans are oh so good" course that TNG laid out.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

[This message has been edited by No Regret (edited September 06, 2000).]

It's not a utopia because there is crime, hatred, prejudices and war throughout the Federation. They have eliminated most of these problems but Starfleet personnel are supposed to be the best of the best. Its not like signing up for the military. They have rigorous tests that everyone has to pass just to get into the academy. So what we see is a very biased sample.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I see Starfleet as more of an exploratory service than the military, although they do act as the navy (there doesn't seem to be any other branch of service in ST).

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited September 07, 2000).]

The way they act with other people on their own ship doesn't bother me that much, but it does bother me when some alien starts shooting at them and it's always like "Wait, let's talk this out!"

I mean, if people were really that nice, Communism would work.

Both Communism and Democracy are good ideals that can never be realized with large groups of people. And before someone says America is a Democracy, it's not. It is a Republic which is different. Communism simply because people are not nice enough to share with each other. Democracy because most people are not intelligent to govern themselves. The masses should never rule. If you doubt that, work in any service industry for a week. You will fear the herd then.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

It`s a shame that the we haven`t managed to get past dictatorship in all of history. Basically, what we have today at best is a 4 year term of that same type of government.

First of all, I still say that the Confederation can kick the Federation's ass.

Second, yes, the origional ST was supposed to be a futeristic utopia, but now that people want more emotion and twisted plots and character developements, they have changes to accomidate societies wants. Personally I think that they changed for the better.

Anyway, understand that I am saying it is "supposed" to be a utopia, as we all understand, it isn't.

Well, I geuss that's all for now.

As always, this is just my opinion.

-=DeltaKiller=-

Vs. statements never end in happiness... only in pain and bloodshed.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

And I refer to CIC CZ rule number 3:
Due to the near-certainty of "(something) vs (something)" threads stirring up flames/discord, especially if they involve other sci-fi universes, such threads are specifically banned.

It's topics like this that make me glad I came back to the CIC....heated debates that end up having no clear side chosen as the right one.....* sniffs * So glad to be back....:>

Vondoom: The reason democracy doesn't work perfectly is not that people aren't intelligent enough but rather because it's to easy to stir up emotions. Something drastic happens, someone with a loud mouth voices a (usually extreme) opinion and everyone else follows because it's easier to follow then to think up your own plan of action. The result is mob rule/vigilantism like recent events in the UK.

Mad Hatter: The terms 'dictator' and '4yr term' do not go together. Limited terms are meant to prevent dictators and if you think that todays democracies/republics are just dictatorships with a time limit you're sorely mistaken.

Basically any theory for a perfect anything is doomed to failure. The guy who invented the phrase "a plan never survives the first 30 secs of combat," wasn't kidding.

Penguin: Non, that's not quite right. "Dictator" and "4 year term" is quite compatible. As I recall, the Romans appointed dictators for six month terms in times of war.

Tyrant, on the other hand, is a different story.

If you prefer the term despotism, Penguin then I`ll refine my post. And, btw, I`m really not trying to stir up anything. It`s just that recent events in my country are causing a lot of anger with politicians. It becomes a matter of who promised more things during the elections than who is really a good leader.
frown.gif

Mad Hatter: It's always a matter of election promises. But with all due respect, no leader can achieve anything without the support of the rest of the government...

Mad Hatter: I still fail to see how you can term any western leadership as a despot, dictator, tyrant, etc. There are so many laws and conventions, which prevent any western style leader from being a true autocrat/dictator/despot/tyrant.

Quarto: In the modern context, a dictator is someone with autocratic powers for life. Unfortunately that also applied to the Romans; Sulla, Caesar, etc.

Back