Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops Model Update Pack

Well as soon as I get it working again, I'll run Ella2 and see if the larger tbolts effect the cut scenes. in sim missions they work fine. about the only thing I can think of is that at their smaller size they're harder to hit, the new size might well reduce survivability against cap ships and squids.

I have to assume that the size was a conscious choice on the part of the developers and not an error since the Excalibur was properly scaled.

Last edited:
Nice work that Bolt looks amazing. Glad the turret tool helped too.

Curiously the Shrike is also scaled differently to the stats. The stats say 28 meters but both the in-game and FMV models are 18 meters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluh! Bluh! Bluh! Confed gets a class A Space Superiority fighter.

Vampire_WIP1.jpg Vampire_WIP2.png Vampire_WIP3.jpg

@DefianceIndustries

On the SO backup disk is the file "WCP SO NewShips.doc" which states that the Vesuvius had:

2 x Hull Mounted Anti-Matter Guns – N/A***
24 x Dual Mount Heavy Laser Cannon – 800 DP***
4 x Dual Mount Anti-Fighter Missile Turret – 800 DP***
*** Not currently reflected in the game.. but since you never see it in a mission.. shouldn’t be an issue.. –JPG 12 July

I don't know if this made it into the game but it also says for the Murphy:

1 x Centerline Hull Mount Mk4 Heavy Plasma Cannon – N/A ***
*** Not currently reflected in the game.. –JPG 12 July

You never did answer my previous question. Will you make a MED tool update with all the new features you have been making?

You never did answer my previous question. Will you make a MED tool update with all the new features you have been making?

I actually don't have a copy of MED so I honestly haven't tested its compatibility with the MUP. I do know that the MUP with WCP Unlimited does break WCPedit. MED compatibility wasn't originally in the plan since I'm not modifying any of the mission code, just the ship, mesh, and viewer .iffs. However, I probably will check it out at some point in the future, especially if some enterprising wing nuts want to use the assets to build future mods in Vision.

Quick update: I'm going on a much needed vacation so I won't be doing much on the MUP for the next week or so. But, here are a few work in progress shots to keep things interesting.

Vampire: I rescaled the RCS pods on the fuselage to get it closer to the high-res model and finished adding greebles to the hull and engine pods. I also made some tweaks (long overdue I might add) to Dark Sentinel's awesome F-110 Wasp model. I added the missile and gun ports (I originally asked him not to add them when I was only working with 1,200 tri chunks) and modified the big rings on the side of the missile pods to make them look more like the original sketch. I've also got the start of a texture on it. So there! Enjoy.

Vampire_WIP5.jpg Vampire_WIP4.jpg F-110_WIP1.jpg F-110_WIP2.jpg

A technical question for you.
Can a ship be textured from two different sources? Like, the Ray Node - can the engine properly handle it if the ship uses two separate textures, one for Ray, one for Remoras?

A technical question for you.
Can a ship be textured from two different sources? Like, the Ray Node - can the engine properly handle it if the ship uses two separate textures, one for Ray, one for Remoras?
Yes. A ship mesh can have multiple texture files. I don't recall if there is any particular limit on the number of MATs that can be used on one ship, but it's definitely possible to use more than one.

I use multiple textures on the wasp (one for the fighter and another for the booster) and the vampire (hull and EPODS).

Hmm XvT style flight colors for team multiplayer :)

The way the game handles this isn't as elegant as FS2 or XvT (allowing texture overrides on the models) as near as I can tell (and admittedly I'm not an expert here..yet) you would need multiple copies of the same model with different textures associated, so you would need wasp_normal, wasp_green, wasp_blue or something like that and then code the multiplayer missions to use them. Could be wrong though, haven't gotten that far in my vivisection of the engine. :D

The way the game handles this isn't as elegant as FS2 or XvT (allowing texture overrides on the models) as near as I can tell (and admittedly I'm not an expert here..yet) you would need multiple copies of the same model with different textures associated, so you would need wasp_normal, wasp_green, wasp_blue or something like that and then code the multiplayer missions to use them. Could be wrong though, haven't gotten that far in my vivisection of the engine. :D
Well, yes, that's true, but... I'm 99.99% certain that if we can have a patch for specular maps, we could equally have another patch that overlays the ship's basic textures with an additional team-specific map. I'm very sceptical as to whether this is worthwhile in the context of multiplayer (does anyone actually play WCP multiplayer? I mean, sure, there's usually a game or two around the CIC's birthday, but apart from that?), but the same thing could be used for other purposes - for example, ace decals and the like.

Well, yes, that's true, but... I'm 99.99% certain that if we can have a patch for specular maps, we could equally have another patch that overlays the ship's basic textures with an additional team-specific map. I'm very sceptical as to whether this is worthwhile in the context of multiplayer (does anyone actually play WCP multiplayer? I mean, sure, there's usually a game or two around the CIC's birthday, but apart from that?), but the same thing could be used for other purposes - for example, ace decals and the like.

Or if it could be extended and called in mission code you could use it to overlay a damaged texture on destroyed cap ships

Back