Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops Model Update Pack

A very cool-looking "Wasp" indeed. xD
I guess at some point we would want new cockpit meshes, more fitting the models.

But admittedly, I'd be a total slacker if I did the missile pod ahead of the cockpits and pilots, not to mention that wrench everyone wants in my Durango model...jeez! :)
That wrench is very important! What else the ship's cat is supposed to play with during idle animations when the birds are taking a bath?

Oh, I hadn't told you about those parts yet? :-P
Well, funny you should mention that wrench... :) now, there isn't really that much opportunity for this in WCP, since there's no fly-through hangars in there, but I can tell you that if I were importing a fly-through capship such as the Durango into WCP, I would certainly populate the deck with a bunch of doodads, stuff like barrels, missile racks, and so on. Of course, it would be highly desirable to implement them as some kind of destroyable object, and then someone would have to hack the game to make that particular kind of object untargettable, so that you wouldn't ever have to go through two million useless components just to target the bridge. So, if you were importing such a ship into WCP, then really, that wrench is kinda useful. I don't know why they wanted it in Homeworld though, since there's no flying through hangars there :).
Actually, we have hangars being used ingame. Not in big fly-throughs, sure, but instead of the glowing blue halo inside the bays, there's now an animation of the fighters leaving some side-bay inside the hangar or, in other cases, leaving the side-elevator, getting into position on the runway and taking off. And a similar animation for landing. We're just waiting on DefianceIndustries to do the smallish effort of fully animating the entire tech crews with a beard management engine like the one in Witcher 3, but for some unfathomable reason, he doesn't seem too enthusiastic at the idea of doing this within two days. Weird, right?

We're just waiting on DefianceIndustries to do the smallish effort of fully animating the entire tech crews with a beard management engine like the one in Witcher 3, but for some unfathomable reason, he doesn't seem too enthusiastic at the idea of doing this within two days.

I know, I'm a total slacker...:)

A very cool-looking "Wasp" indeed. xD
I guess at some point we would want new cockpit meshes, more fitting the models.

yep, that's on the list. At a minimum the existing cockpits should get a higher-res retexture, and I wanted to design Excalibur and Tbolt cockpits. For sim missions and to give future modders something to play with. That's slotted behind doing the models though.

Oh and "Wasp" is the callsign I've been using since I started playing flight sims so it's sort of second nature, but I get it being confusing. :) I'll rename myself...

Minor update: Whereas before I was simply hacking models into the viewer to test them, the tigershark being my most common victim, I've started adding the extra fighters into the viewer in a more permanent basis. I'll also be updating the flavor text for the updated versions in SO; so for example the Piranha is actually a C variant and the Tigershark is a B. So here's the more or less "official" entry for the Excalibur. When I finish the Tbolt, it will also get an entry. I'll probably also add Confed capships into the viewer at some point as well.

Excal_ViewerFinal2.jpg Excal_ViewerFinal1.jpg

Sorry if this has already been asked but is there going to be a way to use this on the original prophecy game as well

Sorry if this has already been asked but is there going to be a way to use this on the original prophecy game as well

It's possible to do, and shouldn't take too much work to port the models over, since most of them were copied directly. I'd have to tweak the ship.iffs since the weapons are all different between the two games, but largely it would be a small(ish) effort on the surface. That said - I hadn't planned on it initially. It's been suggested before though. I would consider doing it after getting the final release of the SO MUP done.

It's possible to do, and shouldn't take too much work to port the models over, since most of them were copied directly. I'd have to tweak the ship.iffs since the weapons are all different between the two games, but largely it would be a small(ish) effort on the surface. That said - I hadn't planned on it initially. It's been suggested before though. I would consider doing it after getting the final release of the SO MUP done.

That would be much appreciated! Your work looks amazing and it would be a shame if only the smaller, less cinematic game would receive it.

Minor update: Whereas before I was simply hacking models into the viewer to test them, the tigershark being my most common victim, I've started adding the extra fighters into the viewer in a more permanent basis. I'll also be updating the flavor text for the updated versions in SO; so for example the Piranha is actually a C variant and the Tigershark is a B. So here's the more or less "official" entry for the Excalibur. When I finish the Tbolt, it will also get an entry. I'll probably also add Confed capships into the viewer at some point as well.

It's great to see that part coming together too! Does the Prophecy/SO ship viewer uncapitalize the last letter of the designation? If so, I guess that's its convention and you're just being consistent, but in most all things (WC and real life), that digit would normally be capitalized.

Last edited:
It's great to see that part coming together too! Does the Prophecy/SO ship viewer uncapitalize the last letter of the designation? If so, I guess that's its convention and you're just being consistent, but in most all things (WC and real life), that digit would normally be capitalized.

The viewer text does indeed default to a lowercase designation, I thought it was odd too.

Hi all,
quick update: I've been battling a some kind of bug (pun intended) so I've not been able to make as much progress as normal. I'm currently texturing a Panther and @Dark Sentinel is working on a couple of models for the pack, he's working on his Plunkett, the Wasp, and a Moray.

In other news: @gr1mre4per has teased a project he's working on that will give us a lot more flexibility in how we do Capships and some fighters by allowing the engine to accept substantially more polys than it does today per mesh. I won't spoil it for you and let him do the big reveal, but suffice to say what I've seen so far is pretty impressive and if it works as expected, it will really push the needle for the Vision engine.

So exciting stuff in the hopper! Watch this space.

Forgive me for the newbie question, but is it possible to apply these upgrades to the base Prophecy game so we could play through the Prophecy campaign with updated ships?

Forgive me for the newbie question, but is it possible to apply these upgrades to the base Prophecy game so we could play through the Prophecy campaign with updated ships?

Hi Sylvester -

Seems there's quite the demand for an updated Prophecy as well, but to answer your question:

Back