Wing Commander Prophecy - Disc Problems

Matthew76

Spaceman
Hello All,

Just wondering what I should do here. I bought prophecy about 7-8 years ago, and have had it installed on my computers for a while. I tried last night to install the program, and the first disc worked...the second was almost done, then it just frizzed out. I thought, what can I do? I went and tried to copy them into an image, just on the off chance I got a complete copy. Unfortunately for me, disc 2 didn't work. the disc hasn't been left out or scratched. I tried a cd compound to clean and resurface it..but that didn't work either. I was going to copy disc 1, but it didn't copy either. Both had read errors. Any ideas?:(

Does your CD drive work okay? Are there any visible scratches or anything? Any scratches on the top sides of the disc will kill them. Before any kind of resurfacing compound, I'd run the discs through some hot (not hot enough to warp the discs of course) water - it gets off some invisible film that can sometimes accumulate and distort the laser.

Unfortunately for me...no dice. Is there anything else I can try?

Oddly enough the disc one...even though it does not like Nero, still installs and asks for disc 2. Disc 3 didn't copy either, but haven't gotten there in the install process yet

Yeah, it seems like it's got to be either damaged disc or damaged drive. Can you try the discs in another drive? If they don't work there, then you'll know the discs have been corrupted somehow. If they do, then it's your CD-ROM.

If there's no top side scratches, there are different kinds of disc repairers. Some are a paste and some are a hand polish and some are electronic. A new copy of Prophecy would probably be cheaper than going out and buying any of these though ($6-10).

If you can try to put the disk in a CD/DVD WRITER. Those are usually MUCH much more tolerant to read errors.

Back