Wing Commander Prophecy Crash

Mad House

Spaceman
I'm a long time fan of these sims. I recently just finished the DVD copy of Wing Commander IV and I was excited to soon find that unown to me, there was another sequel made. So I purchased a used copy of Prophecy and installed all of the Hires patches and Glide wrappers, along with the DVD movie addons from CIC. Very cool. Well now I've gone to insert the second cd, before the Dallas funeral sequence. And the game gives me a fatal error.
" IFF::IFF open file Gameflow\mouse_F.IFF Not found and not Optional "
I'm hoping my cd isn't damaged but drop me a line if you can help. I'm desperate to finish the Saga. My computer specs are as follows.

Windows XP Home edition SP2
AMD Athlon xp 2200+
180ghz
768MB of DDR
ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600SE 128mb

Thanks in advance.

Is your CD scratched or anything? The message does sound like the game can't read something off the disc right, but it might not necessarily be caused by a damaged disc. Can you copy all the files off the CD without an error? With all the different patches, it's possible that one is causing some kind of conflict. There are also more general glitches caused by certain DirectX issues that could be a factor.

Hmmm

I don't think the discs are damaged... I backed up the cd into an mdf image using Alcohol 120%. No errors there. But still no workie at the beginning of disk two. Interesting suggestion with direct X. Would the game still attempt to use Direct X if I'm using a Glide Wrapper for 3dfx emulation... and no joystick? Hmm maybe I'll try to make a seperate instalation without all the addons to see if things work. Anyways thanks for your suggestions. Any more would be helpful.

Yeah, a fresh reinstall without any of the patches would definitely be a worth a try. Even in 3dfx mode, DirectX could still be influencing the game via sound card, and sound card issues such as this are a common cause of crashes when a movie file needs to play. In the control panel sound card advanced area and dxdiag sound panel, try to disable any kind of acceleration there. It wouldn't hurt to do the same for video and input devices just in case those are still active and affecting the game somehow.

Doh!

Hmmm I feel so pleebish...
I guess all of my trouble was because I installed the gf.tre files from a certain patch in a sub directory instead of the games root "prophecy" dir. Well long story short, I moved the .tre files and now I'm able to fly once again. Goddamn, I love these games. Thanks again for your help Mr. Reid.

Back