Wing Commander Prophecy: Boom Boom recipe

Death's Head said:
And it's possible that someone has doughnut gun to shoot at Confed patrol ships.
smile.gif
Get back to me when you have a better story to tell.
And here comes DH with his stupid jokes again!
smile.gif
Don't you think that someone who already has cloaking technology could make a device that sees through cloack easier than someone that doesn't have that tech?

Last edited by a moderator:
"And how exactly do you know that?"
We know the Piranha makes several jumps because that is how Maestro and Casey got to the Midway. Given that the ship doesn't have large fuel intakes like the Dragon, is smaller than the jump capable Excalibur and that there have been jump capable Ferrets, it is perfectly reasonable to infer that jump drives have miniturized to the point where it is feasable to mount them on standard scouts like the Piranha.

"Again, Earthworm has no idea what DH is talking about."
Strangely, this isn't surprising given that I must take something the game or novels directly says in order for it to make sense to certain...persons.

"Not if that ships doesn't have enough fuel to make more than two jumps."
Newer fighters no doubt are more efficient than older ones. One of the reasons for this is that jump drives seem to progressively use less fuel as tech becomes readily available. The Excalibur used less fuel than older ships if the fuel capacity is anything like the older fighters and since a light fighter that looks like there is practically no room for fuel can make several jumps, well there is a pattern.

"Hm, how small are the low power tractor beams."
How slowly do you want to tractor something small in? It could be handheld, fit inside a missile bay, along with a small piece of armor.

"Docking clamps? Where'd you get that?"
Surely if you had played WC, as you make yourself out to be an expert, you will have noticed that shuttles and fighters
perform sophisticated docking maneuvers that allow for EVA, refueling, resupply, and other opperations. Since we see Maestro docking, at least if you bothered to watch, you will notice he latches onto the hull of a wrecked luxury liner.

If you can hold a fighter with whatever device he used, you can surely hang onto a little piece of debris. If jumpshock is as hostile as you make it out to be, then battered fighters and capships would fall apart in transit.
biggrin.gif

You don't think the ship welded itself to the hull of a starship, do you? Hence, the docking latch.

"Furthemore, I don't see a reason why the ICIS should mention all existing recon fighters."
Going there would only reaffirm my point EW.

"Just because we see a Piranha suposedly jump in the Prophecy intro doesn't mean it has a standard JD. Same goes for some of the other fighters."
Then why did you ask if you had said anything about another type of JD to Q???

"Um, you can see all cloacked ships in WC4 no matter what fighter you're in."
Correction, in the intro you can't see Dragons fully cloaked and I don't recall seeing cloaked fighters unless I marked them with the Stormfire. Show me a screenshot if you would and cite the mission.

"Nevertheless, it's present in the game, therefore it does exist."
Another fallacy.

"I said that was just one posibility. And it's as much valid as saying the other fighters didn't have cloack because they were destroyed."
I said it was possible some of the ships weren't so equipped, or didn't have experience in cloak use, which is much more plausable than saying the bugs let him go given their pattern.

"A weapon like that does exist, and it was even suposed to be in Prophecy."
The cloak gun was an option they might have added, they weren't supposed to have it no more than they were supposed to have MP because one site said it did.

"And DH will continue making lame comments."
If apathetic is what you want to call it, that's fine because I really don't see the point in making any less lame arguements than yourself.

"The point is, that they did make that gun, and at one point were planing to use it. It got droped, but at least we know that it wasn't just a one time thing used to enhance only one game."
If this is so, they could have used it in SO...That and other "new" guns seem to be used for the MP feature, much like the addon for Armada.

"Since when is a weapon that is available only in MP not considered canon?"
Since when is something they didn't use at all considered canon? Something mentioned in the manual is, however. Like the Gettysburg class cruiser, for instance.

"Ah, so that gun would make the ship you shot at cloak?"
EW...do ships start cloaking when the Shok'lar activates its cloak gun? NO.

"quote:
---------------------------------------------
Oh, and in the very same game, you get to destroy both Terra and Kilrah. Is THAT canon?
---------------------------------------------Now that's a stupid point."
That a 700m carrier can toast Kilrah without a T-bomb or Behemoth weapon, not really. That's at least 3 times you've called Q stupid, I don't think he appreciates that.

"And here comes DH with his stupid jokes again! Don't you think that someone who already has cloaking technology could make a device that sees through cloack easier than someone that doesn't have that tech?"
That's a moot point, yet almost totally unrelated.
smile.gif
Somehow you missed or overlooked my point anyway, so...

"We only jump once in WC3, and never refuel...."
Where'd you find this little gem? I believe there's a reason for calling a refueling terminal refueling.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited May 20, 2000).]

Death's Head said:
We know the Piranha makes several jumps because that is how Maestro and Casey got to the Midway.
No, we don't. There are otehr ways for fighters to get through a jump point. One of them is having a JD installed at an expense of missiles or other equipment.
there have been jump capable Ferrets,
One jump capable Ferret that didn't have a JD as a standard equipment.
it is perfectly reasonable to infer that jump drives have miniturized to the point where it is feasable to mount them on standard scouts like the Piranha.
I don't belive we're ever told if it's the size of the JD that makes it imposible to install on smaller fighters.

Strangely, this isn't surprising given that I must take something the game or novels directly says in order for it to make sense to certain...persons.
Nope, I actualy mean that the use of words in that sentence was completly messed up.

Newer fighters no doubt are more efficient than older ones. One of the reasons for this is that jump drives seem to progressively use less fuel as tech becomes readily available. The Excalibur used less fuel than older ships if the fuel capacity is anything like the older fighters and since a light fighter that looks like there is practically no room for fuel can make several jumps, well there is a pattern.
You have nothing to support what you said above, yet you say it as if it were a fact....

How slowly do you want to tractor something small in? It could be handheld, fit inside a missile bay, along with a small piece of armor.
Yes, I'm sure that something that tractors in more slowly is small enough to fit on a fighter that 2-3 times smalller than the war era fighters.

Surely if you had played WC, as you make yourself out to be an expert, you will have noticed that shuttles and fighters
perform sophisticated docking maneuvers that allow for EVA, refueling, resupply, and other opperations.
Ah, so that's what you meant. Except that something like that has been present all the time, it didn't start with Prophecy. And I realy don't see how something that's used to dock with a shuttle or a capship would be used to grab artifacts.

If you can hold a fighter with whatever device he used, you can surely hang onto a little piece of debris.
Not so. There's a diference between two ships conecting to each other with parts that are made for that, and trying to grab an unknown object.
If jumpshock is as hostile as you make it out to be, then battered fighters and capships would fall apart in transit.
biggrin.gif
Well, it is that hostile.

"Furthemore, I don't see a reason why the ICIS should mention all existing recon fighters."
Going there would only reaffirm my point EW.
You don't seem to have any points.

Then why did you ask if you had said anything about another type of JD to Q???
Because I didn't say anything about different types of jump drives....

Correction, in the intro you can't see Dragons fully cloaked
The intro? You're actualy bringing the cutscene into this?
smile.gif
and I don't recall seeing cloaked fighters unless I marked them with the Stormfire.
Than get some glasses.
smile.gif
Show me a screenshot if you would and cite the mission.
Hm, how about every mission that has cloaking fighter in it? And I'll be damned if I'm going to play through the game just to get you a screen shot. Not to mention you probably wouldn't see it anyhow.

Another fallacy.
So the games aren't canon anymore?

I said it was possible some of the ships weren't so equipped, or didn't have experience in cloak use, which is much more plausable than saying the bugs let him go given their pattern.
Of course it is. But the chance for that is still small.

The cloak gun was an option they might have added, they weren't supposed to have it no more than they were supposed to have MP because one site said it did.
And again, Earthworm doesn't understand DH's grammar.

If apathetic is what you want to call it, that's fine because I really don't see the point in making any less lame arguements than yourself.
Uh, call it whatever you want.

If this is so, they could have used it in SO...
Of course they could, but they didn't have to.
That and other "new" guns seem to be used for the MP feature, much like the addon for Armada.
What are you talking about?

Since when is something they didn't use at all considered canon?
I didn't say it's canon. But it does support the fact that they were planing on using that gun again.
Something mentioned in the manual is, however. Like the Gettysburg class cruiser, for instance.
Ok, stop coming up with things that don't belong in this little argument.

EW...do ships start cloaking when the Shok'lar activates its cloak gun? NO.
Um, that's the point. Q said that the gun in Prophecy is a cloak gun, not an anti-cloak gun. So what would a cloak gun do other than make your targets disapear?

Whoa... I knew I should have posted right after EW replied, but I happened to have other things to do. Now it would seem that I've got a lot of catching up to do...
smile.gif

Than you don't remember that much about it than. You can see cloacked ships no matter what ship you're flying.
Maybe I don't remember... or maybe you remember something that never existed
smile.gif

There's the WC4 authorized strategy guide, though I don't have it, and there's the Secrets Of the WC Universe, which I belive does cover WC4.
Well, if you find something, be sure to tell me.
smile.gif

Why exactly is that? We only see the AB fuel that's being used. And the Excal does have the matter-antimatter powerplant which gives it a longer range.
Whoa, whoa. Speaking of totally unsupported facts, where the hell did you come up with the idiotic concept that the Excal has a matter-antimatter powerplant?

You always see the wireframe cloaked ships. Always. Put down your copy of SC and replay WC4 damn it.
Hmmm... no. And I still don't remember anything about seeing wireframes.

I don't think so.... That Excal had only lasers, it had to be fitted with a jump drive, and a cloack, so it could be fitted with a tractor beam underneath. The black Hellcats in WC4 had tractor beams under their wings, and they replaced a whole 3-hardpoint slot.
Well, if the Hellcat had a tractor beam, then I'm sure you won't object to the Bearcat having one, since they're exactly the same size
biggrin.gif
. And if the Bearcat can have one, then it can perform this duty just as well - if not better - than the Excalibur.

Hm, you can have an artifact inside the fighter, where you can only loose it if you loose the fighter, or you can have it outside your fighter, where it can fell off as a result of a jump shock or something similar.
Jump shock? And pray tell, what effects does the so-called jump shock have, apart from making people slightly queasy? Besides, the whole point of any sort of clamps is to keep things clamped down. They most certainly would be built well enough to prevent anything from falling off.

Where have I sad anything about different variants of a JD?
Sigh. That's what I was afraid of. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, you see, and assuming you meant JD variants. I guess you actually meant that the Piranhas aren't usually equipped with jump drives. A pity that, since even LOAF had told you that they most certainly are equipped with jump drives, the last time this subject has come up.

That could be posible.....And yes, it is canon.
But then I guess even the lowly Arrow has space on it for a cloaking device, a jump drive, and the capability to pick up objects (and secure them) in space. It can even pick up a cloaking device, which then miraculously attaches itself to the ship so it can be used. So why do we bother with the Excalibur?
No, Earthworm, that is not possible. No more than a human can pick up his head and reattach it to his own neck.

Now that's a stupid point.
Why? Because you have no counter-argument? Now, if Proving Grounds is canon, then surely what happens in the rest of Armada is also canon.

Ah, so that gun would make the ship you shot at cloak?
Let me explain this in detail.
The cloak gun is a cloaking device. It is not an actual gun, but for the sake of game mechanics, it is placed in a gun slot. Thus, in WC2, the Strakha had a cloak gun. In Armada, the Shok'lar had a cloak gun (which, as I'm sure you know, was just a normal cloaking device). So, to put it simply, the cloak gun is not actually a gun in the game. It is only a gun as far as the game FILES are concerned. Now do you understand? And since you're the one who brought up WCP's cloak gun, I would suggest that in the future, you refrain from talking about things that you have no idea about.

Since when is a weapon that is available only in MP not considered canon?
Hmm... could it be because WCP's MP never existed? If I tell you that Blair is alive, and has just destroyed the Bugs' homeworld with the spare Temblor bomb that he always carried in his pocket - and that this is exactly what was supposed to happen in the next WC game, will you believe me? No. Or at least I hope you won't.

Don't you think that someone who already has cloaking technology could make a device that sees through cloack easier than someone that doesn't have that tech?
Can a man with AIDS develop a cure for AIDS any easier than a man without AIDS?
And since you'll tell me that that's a pointless argument having nothing to do with the subject, let me phrase it another way. The US has just as much trouble detecting their own stealth fighters as their opponents do. That's what the whole concept of stealth is about - to be invisible, no matter what the opponent does. BTW, everybody - not just the Americans who created the F-117 - know how the stealth function works. Simple concept - specially shaped aircraft, and a coat of radar-absorbing paint. And yet, understanding this concept doesn't make detecting the aircraft any easier.
Now, of course we don't know how the WC cloak works. I guess it bends light and radar rays. But even if you knew how to bend light, would that make it easier for you to detect where light has been bent? No.

And I realy don't see how something that's used to dock with a shuttle or a capship would be used to grab artifacts.
Then you missed DH's concept entirely. They would be used to keep the artifact secure, not to grab it. That's still the tractor beam's job.

Wait... did I miss something? Has Origin announced that the cutscenes are not canon all of a sudden?
You really shouldn't drink at your age, Earthworm
smile.gif

So the games aren't canon anymore?
Why not? If the cutscenes aren't...
tongue.gif

In one of EW's earlier questions about the cloak fitting onto a hardoint: We see quite clearly the shroud device fixed to the nose section hardpoint. This is at the refueling depot. I said refueling depot for a reason, but not everyone can discern the meaning I suppose in this case. Let's say it was in response to an earlier post.

I fell to the floor laughing when I read this:"Um, that's the point. Q said that the gun in Prophecy is a cloak gun, not an anti-cloak gun. So what would a cloak gun do other than make your targets disapear?"
And you talk about my grammer. HAH!
Since you obviously haven't played Armada, you wouldn't have noticed the Shok'lar's cloaking device is called a cloak gun.

BLEEM!

Okay, this is getting out of hand. And by out of hand I mean boring.

You can only see cloaked ships in WC4 while flying the Lance.

To the best of my knowledge being "configured to carry a jump drive" makes a ship jump capable. Buh.

There are three guides to Wing Commander IV -- the official and two unofficial. The Secrets of the Wing Commander Universe, which is not authorized in any way, does not cover WC4. Or WC3. Or RF.

We are told in the Wing Commander IV novel and the Wing Commander IV script that the Excalibur has a prototype m/am powerplant.

Although there is no proof either way, I seriously doubt the Bearcat has a tractor beam -- given that the Hellcat's tractor was such a spectacular failure, and that the Bearcat is more of a space superiority fighter than the workhorse Hellcat.

Armada and PG are canon.

Quarto is correct regarding the cloak gun == and in the case of the Shok'lar, at least, it *is* a gun!

Things that never happened are not canon. WCP would have solved this entire stupid debate had the line about cloaking not been removed. But it was.

Jumpshock is not that hostile.

I believe that you would-be LOAF's (and as an aside I caution you against the lifestyle) are making the same mistake that I once did often... do not sacrafice the integrity of the WC universe to prove a point. Don't make up odd twists and turns just because you want to show up Quarto or Quarto wants to show up Earthworm and so on and so forth.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

[This message has been edited by Bandit LOAF (edited May 20, 2000).]

Bleem?
smile.gif

In regards to the Excalibur, what exactly does the book have to say about that? I'm just asking because whatever you're referring to about the m/am drive doesn't seem to be in the script.

As for Armada and PG being canon... yes, it is. But I've always been opposed to people taking canon totally literally. Hence, all I'm saying to EW here is that if you consider the cloak detectors in PG to be actual equipment in the WC universe, then you have to also assume that both Terra and Kilrah had been destroyed by the two carriers.
How does the cloak detector in PG work, come to think of it? Haven't played PG for so long...

Oh, and as for would-be LOAFing... I'm Quarto, and I don't intend to be anything other than Quarto. Unfortunately, it just so happens that a Quarto can never resist a good debate, no matter how long it drags on
smile.gif
. In retrospect, I can see that this one has lost its sense quite a while ago, but... <shrug>

Quarto said:
Whoa, whoa. Speaking of totally unsupported facts, where the hell did you come up with the idiotic concept that the Excal has a matter-antimatter powerplant?
Um, it does have one. It's not as efective as the one on the Dragon/Lance, but it gives it a longer range than most if not all fighters at it's time, and better agility.

Hmmm... no. And I still don't remember anything about seeing wireframes.
I can definetly see the wireframe of a cloaked ship in WC4.

And if the Bearcat can have one, then it can perform this duty just as well - if not better - than the Excalibur.
If it's range is as big.... Second, the tractor beam on the Hellcat replaced a missile hardpoint. Suposedly any ship could have it if it would replace something from that ship.

Jump shock? And pray tell, what effects does the so-called jump shock have, apart from making people slightly queasy?
It would certainly shake the ship a bit. And weren't you worried, or rather, wasn't Weaver woried of his Ferret falling of corvettes hull while jumping? Even though it was docked with it?
Besides, the whole point of any sort of clamps is to keep things clamped down. They most certainly would be built well enough to prevent anything from falling off.
But it would be much safer inside the fighter.

A pity that, since even LOAF had told you that they most certainly are equipped with jump drives, the last time this subject has come up.
LOAF doesn't have any sourcess that say the Piranha has a JD as a standard device. He based that it has one on the Prophecy intro and the small talk between Maestro and Casey which never states that the Piranha has one. If we're just to assume that because we hear the Piranhas have jumped, than the Banshee would also have a JD as a standard part because we see three Banshees in the Peleus system that got there before the Intrepid did. And one of those Banshee pilots is from the Intrepid.

Why? Because you have no counter-argument? Now, if Proving Grounds is canon, then surely what happens in the rest of Armada is also canon.
If it doesn't contradict with earlier games, than yes, it is canon. Just like any other game.

Hmm... could it be because WCP's MP never existed?
I'm talking about Armada/RF MP.

Can a man with AIDS develop a cure for AIDS any easier than a man without AIDS?
A disease that wasn't made by that man can't be compared to a piece of technology developed my man.

Now, of course we don't know how the WC cloak works. I guess it bends light and radar rays. But even if you knew how to bend light, would that make it easier for you to detect where light has been bent? No.
Yes, it could.

If you have that technology, you can test any devices to counter it, unlike a Pirate that wouldn't have any cloacks. You know exactly how that technology works, and therefore you can imagine ways to counter it. I'm not saying that just because you have a cloak you'll have an easy job of geting something to counter it, but it will be easier than for someone without the knowledge that you have. And since you mentioned AIDS above. If it was made by the person with the disease, it would be easier for that person to develop a cure for it.

Wait... did I miss something? Has Origin announced that the cutscenes are not canon all of a sudden?
You really shouldn't drink at your age, Earthworm
smile.gif
Oh, come one Q. We're talking about seing fighters in the game, not in the cutscenes. There are many, many things we never see in cutscenes.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited May 20, 2000).]

Bandit LOAF said:
You can only see cloaked ships in WC4 while flying the Lance.
No, you can see them in any ship. Not as clearly as in the Lance, or any other cloaking ship, because it's easier to see them on a gray background, but you can see the frame of those ships no matter what you're flying.

To the best of my knowledge being "configured to carry a jump drive" makes a ship jump capable. Buh.
But than you can configure any ship to carry a jump drive. Therefore, all ships must be jump capable? The Prophecy intro does show that the Piranhas jumped, but we don't know if they carry a JD as standard equipment, if a JD was put onto them only because it's a special case, or if some other way of jumping was used. In WC4, how does Moose get to the Peleus system ahead of the Intrepid? A Banshee doesn't have a JD, so either one had to be put onto it and replace something, or alternate ways of jumping were used.

Quarto said:
In regards to the Excalibur, what exactly does the book have to say about that?
Just that the Excal does indeed have that kind of power plant, and that it was basicly a somewhat prototype for the Dragon/Lance.
In retrospect, I can see that this one has lost its sense quite a while ago,
Ay, it sure has.
frown.gif

Earthworm, don't be a hipocrite (sp?). First you tell Death's Head not to bring cutscenes into this, and now you're using a cutscene as evidence (and against LOAF, of all people
smile.gif
)? Besides, do you have any proof that it's the same Moose? There was a Dallas onboard the Concordia, and there was one on the Midway. Why shouldn't there be two Mooses in the Border Worlds?
smile.gif

BTW, Weaver's problem was purely psychological. There he was, in a non jump-capable fighter, attached to the bottom of a corvette. Had you read more carefully, you would have noticed that he KNEW that nothing would/could happen, but it was still disturbing to him. It's like when you're on a plane. You know that there's very little chance of anything going wrong, but you can't help wondering what would happen if things went wrong - simply because the end result would be pretty extreme.
You know, the funny thing was that when I was writing that bit with the jump, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as jump shock
smile.gif

I don't see the point of arguing the difference between being able to mount a jump drive and mounting a jump drive. The Piranhas we flew in Prophecy -- and thus the only ones we have any firsthand experience with -- mounted a jump drive. Is thare any reason, aside from trying to have a bigger wordgoeshere than Quarto, to argue that they might not *always* have jump drives, even though there's no way to prove or disprove this? I mean, come on...

As for WC4 and the Peleus System, we *know* that the Intrepid's battle group has the capability to open jump points for non jump-capable fighters. Buh.

Quarto said:
In regards to the Excalibur, what exactly does the book have to say about that? I'm just asking because whatever you're referring to about the m/am drive doesn't seem to be in the script.

It was said in WCIII too I believe, when Blair was talking to Rachel at the bar for the first time (I think, it's been a while since I've saw that scene.). And I remember hearing it again in WCIV, I'm pretty sure.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Jeez, and all this came from a request for the Boom Boom recipe?

Sorry, keep on arguing.
smile.gif

Pilots tend to vary in some cases IIRC, there were missions where I never had the same pilots.

Jack "BoomBoom" Kabeli serves in the Black Widows with a hobby of blowing things up. "Living in a place like Humpty Doo can get to you. Either you leave, you start dating the kind of person your mother worries about, or you go into the swamp and detonate things. Me, I did all three...not necessarily in that order."

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited May 22, 2000).]

Well, Mad Hatter, we started off on Boom Boom, and then topic drifted as far away as we possibly could. And yet, in the topic drift, we seemed to spontaneously develop our own recipe for Boom Boom
biggrin.gif

Back