Wing Commander Prophecy and Windows 11?

It totally does not work in Win11. I had to install it in a WinXP VM to get it to work. It works with the Enhancement pack and OpenGL patch.

I am trying adding the HD movies to it now.

I have no idea why it does not work in Win11.

It is kind of a pain in the butt to set it up in a VM. Copying file to vmware player takes forever.

Also, the gog installers take forever to run in WinXP.

Edit: I tried getting the mp4 movies to work in WinXP and they crash the game. I was using the K-Lite codec.

I will try uninstalling the codec. I may not need it.

Last edited:
Anyone manage to get this game running in Windows 11?
Currently doing a playthrough on Windows 11. Apart from not having audio on the DVD videos, its running fine.

Although I have to mention that I installed the patches available in CIC to get better resolution, models and FPS.

Last edited:
Yeah. I can't get the mp4 files to work in WinXP. They do play if I run them outside of the game.

I am going to try using the VOD files.

Currently doing a playthrough on Windows 11. Apart from not having audio on the DVD videos, its running fine.

Although I have to mention that I installed the patches available in CIC to get better resolution, models and FPS.
Did you use a particular dll file? It seems like I am supposed to keep the gog version of the prophecy.exe.

Well, I tried it with the VOB files and they did not work.
So, I tried it with the original low res movies and they did work.

Did you use a particular dll file? It seems like I am supposed to keep the gog version of the prophecy.exe.
I used the instructions on this post: https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/thr...ecret-ops-model-update-pack.28103/post-411476

The K-lite part was a total waste, as I wasn't able to get audio on the enhanced nor the DVD videos (and sometimes they crash too). But the original videos works just fine and they show without scanlines. And, yes you have to leave the prophecy.exe unchanged, otherwise it will ask for a CD.

Also, I had to use this file, as I got a crash in T'lan 4a:

Also used the fps patch:

I've set all the opengl settings to full, fps to 100 and resolution to 4k:

Izengabea2.png

The game runs perfect and feels very smooth and responsive (much more than III and IV which had an annoying bug with joystick aiming).

By the way, if you want to launch the game from prophecy.exe (which is the default in GOG), you have to launch it as admin for the opengl patch to work. Also, remember to remove any compatibility setting on that exe:

Pantaila-argazkia 2024-01-21 125919.png

I think I see the problem. The OpenGL is not working on Win11. I will install that model update you posted. That seems to have the latest OpenGL update in it.

It I try Direct3D or software it works.

Well, I tried it with the VOB files and they did not work.
So, I tried it with the original low res movies and they did work.
As for the audio issues I'm not entirely convinced this isn't a driver issue or output problem. It feels like windows is defaulting to a different audio device than the one used by the regular video codecs and that AC3 and so on when played by the overlay are defaulting to your digital output or something. It might be nothing but it could be something but I'd take a look in sound settings and see if there's multiple audio outputs enabled. In the k-lite codec tweak tool you can also go to "audio output" under the configuration section and disable or enable bitstreaming to an external device which will keep the game from trying to use the digital output instead of your analog jacks or vice versa depending on your speaker configuration.

As for the audio issues I'm not entirely convinced this isn't a driver issue or output problem. It feels like windows is defaulting to a different audio device than the one used by the regular video codecs and that AC3 and so on when played by the overlay are defaulting to your digital output or something. It might be nothing but it could be something but I'd take a look in sound settings and see if there's multiple audio outputs enabled. In the k-lite codec tweak tool you can also go to "audio output" under the configuration section and disable or enable bitstreaming to an external device which will keep the game from trying to use the digital output instead of your analog jacks or vice versa depending on your speaker configuration.
In my case, I use an steelseries Gamedac, so bitstream must be enabled. Although I have tried with jack with bitstream disabled and it doesn't work either. Plus I sometimes I get a crash while starting the game.

Well, once you get used to the og videos, they aren't that bad.

Interestingly, WC IV DVD worked out of the box, albeit with low volume. Then, after deleting the ac3 files, it sounded perfect.

Yeah. I still can't get the HD movies for work in the WinXP VM. Prophecy.exe crashes when it tries to play them.

I am going to try using a Win10 VM.

In the WIn10 VM, I get a black screen, but I hear the game audio.

I guess it is something with vmware.

So, the only way I can get it to work in Win11 is with a WinXP VM and the original videos.

The game runs with HD video and opengl just fine on my Win10 desktop PC.

I am pretty much done with trying to get it to work.

OK. I got a plan. I am going to try running winxp in 86Box with a Voodoo3 and see if I can get this to work.

vmware seems to be doing something weird with K-Lite and causing it to crash.

I will have to run the game at a lower resolution and probably use the VOB files, but it is worth a shot.

Last edited:
Well the gog installer in 86Box keeps getting file verification errors.

Seems like a bug with 86Box.

I am going to install from the original cds and then upgrade it.

The drawback is that this is simulating older hardware so, I have to keep it 1024x768 or 800x600.

I have to see if the DVD video plays fine. I am using the VOB files.

Well, I could not get it to work in 86Box.

I did get it to work in a Win10 VM. So, I am fine with that.

I will tinker with it in Win11 and see if I can get it to work.

Somehow, I corrupted my WinXP VM. So, I will have to rebuild that.

I spoke too soon on the Win10 VM, the OpenGL does not work. The game closes when you start a mission.

I remember this working in the WinXP VM.

I put in a ticket with gog about it not working on Win11.

Back