Wing Commander Novel

Maniac II

Rear Admiral
I've read some of the books, but have never read the movie novelization. I have one question before i set forth on an epic quest to own it...

Is it a stand alone book, or is it dependent on the, sadly, incomplete trilogy?
And if its stand alone, does that go for the second book?

And third, does anyone have a suggestion as to the easiest path to take in acquiring said book(s)?

The movie novelization is a stand alone book. Though I do not own or have read the second book, so I don't know how many tie-ins there are.

Amazon or Ebay are the easiest places to find the movie novel. It doesn't require the other two stories but there's one or two odd phrases that are things that aren't really explained untill the later books, and the last chapter could really be dropped entirely as it's basically the first chapter of Pilgrim Stars. Otherwise the book reads very much like the shooting script. There's a few oddities in the novel where Telep assumed that things established in the Confed handbook (which he didn't have access to) were the same as what was in the previous games. Hence the concordia description and rapier designations.

Space point!

There's a few oddities in the novel where Telep assumed that things established in the Confed handbook (which he didn't have access to) were the same as what was in the previous games. Hence the concordia description and rapier designations.

This is as much my fault - I was given a list of terms from the script (I wasn't allowed to see it!) and asked what they were... so I sent along pictures and descriptions of the Rapier II, Concordia, etc.

I actually like how it works - except that it contradicts with the Handbook. The folks at IMGS coordinated with X-Toys for the action figures, so I'm not sure why they couldn't check with Telep whose book was part of their same licensing deal.

(For those who are burning to know - they also didn't coordinate with the company doing the cutaway poster... so if we ever find it, it (probably) won't match the Tiger's Claw innards drawings found in the TCH...)

I've read some of the books, but have never read the movie novelization. I have one question before i set forth on an epic quest to own it...

And third, does anyone have a suggestion as to the easiest path to take in acquiring said book(s)?

A couple of months ago, I was looking for all the WC books (my collection had perished in a basement flooding a few years previously). After trying a few places and looking on the web, I went to a used bookstore down the street. Sure enough, I found all of them - in pretty good condition - in one swoop. And to top things off, they were half the price on the cover.

From then on, whenever there's a book I'm looking for that's been in print for at least a year (prefererably two) - I usually check that store before I search elsewhere.

Yeah, I love used bookstores- I've found some great stuff in one that recently closed down near my house, but there's a great one up near my grandparents.

No Wing Commander novels, but paradise doesn't...quite... exist on earth, right? :p I did get some good games from them though.

I'd love to read the books, but I think maybe I should finish playing through the games when I get the cash, first.

I guess i'll probably be looking for them online. I'm living in Colorado for now, and i just got here about two months ago, so i'm not as familiar with the bookstores around town as i was in Virginia.

I still need to find the movie novel and the Pilgrim books. I think I have the rest.

Oh, I think I am missing False Colors as well.

I would try to track down Pilgrim Stars as quickly as possible- it had a tiny print run and no one bought it... it's going to end up being rare.

False Colors exists in giant quantities.

The only issue with Pilgrim Stars is its big cliffhanger ending. Fortunately we have a very thorough synopsis of the third book online: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/2881

I would try to track down Pilgrim Stars as quickly as possible- it had a tiny print run and no one bought it... it's going to end up being rare.

I don't see many junior novelizations around either. I'd also grab that if you're a collector and see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that the 'ending' to the Pilgrim trilogy has become canon with Star*Soldier! Pilgrim Truth is listed in the timeline...

I don't see many junior novelizations around either. I'd also grab that if you're a collector and see it.

A collector *or* a prude!

... or just kind of dumb, I guess.

I just bought a copy of Pilgrim Stars from the Australian ebay. Including shipping, it costs me ~ 16 € for an used book. But I don't want to miss any opportunies any more, not since KS.

I just hope the book arrives well.

Wohoo, my Pilgrim Stars arrived today, in good condition. Finally, I have all the WC novels available (AFAIK). Though maybe I should try and get them all in English since the translators didn't seem to do a good job with the other ones.

I am really looking forward to reading it but first I have to finish Salmon of doubt!

Back