Wing Commander Music Video

Yeah, I keep pulling that up and replaying it on my pc, that's one fantastic video job. (Doesn't hurt that I love the song ;) ).

I just threw together a further short music video. Nothing fancy. It's Wing Commander 4 to the theme of Babylon 5's third season opening sequence by Christopher Franke. Babylon 5 always reminded me of Wing Commander.

Actually I became first hooked on Babylon 5 during it's third season (the break from Earth government storyline), because it's similarities to Wing Commander 4.

So, without further ado... the video. Enjoy!

Hey Tom..

The vobs are all originaly 640x480. I think you need to check that your editing program isn't reencoding it at 720x480 like mine will if I let it choose. Your people look streched.

otherwise not bad.

Thanks.
This time for encoding as divx I cropped the image, so I wouldn't waste the bitrate for the transit between the black bars and the picture. Did you watch it in fullscreen mode? Did you have the same problem with my other vids? Because other than that I didn't do anything different. Has anyone else the same problem, because on my pc they look fine.

hmm, might have just been me. I just watched it again and it seemed fine.

Edit: I never noticed it the first time. Was your intention to be able to hear the dialogue? Because if so you need to adjust the mix so that it is more audible, I could hardly hear it except for the execution announcement. The music drowns it out.

Here's what I get for saying things without double checking! I went back and checked, and the vobs are actually 704x480. I have no Idea why it looked stretched the first time. The wierd thing is when I try and encode at that ratio then the stuff I make looks stretched.

And I like your video better everytime I watch it. Good job.

AD said:
Was your intention to be able to hear the dialogue? Because if so you need to adjust the mix so that it is more audible, I could hardly hear it except for the execution announcement. The music drowns it out.
Yes, it was intentional. At the execution announcement I raised the volume and at the accusations I kept it low. Is it really hard to understand them at all? If yes, I will adjust it slightly. I wanted to keep the music in the foreground at that point and only at the end the announcement louder for the punch.

It depends on how loud I play it. If I dont want to wake anyone else, I cant hear it much. I can tell they're there, but it might be good slightly louder... even the announcement could be louder in relation to the volume of the music from where you have it.

I agree, infact those are powerfull lines if anything they should be louder than the music.

I think you should be proud. That's some good work. Your bravery to subject your work to critcism is also a sign you'll do well. Keep working on it. Do you mind if I make a musical request?

-Rance-

vindicator said:
Do you mind if I make a musical request?
What do you have mind? I will certainly take requests into consideration. I'm currently on the search for an appropriate song for Wing Commander 3. Any suggestions?

Tom, that was much better. I hope you are still happy with it though.

vindicator said:
Do you mind if I make a musical request?

Make your suggestion, and I'll think about it.

Well, back in the early days, I didn't have an affection for the old style orchastrations. I used to play whiskey in the jar by metallica alot. I know it's kind of old school, but I always wanted that song in a WC video, maybe you could use it if you did privateer videos though.

-Rance-

Back