Wing Commander MUSH revival?

Go figure - I was doing a search today of a few great MU*s that I RPed in and this thread popped up. Glad to find it! Red Horizon was one of my favorites. (SO many memories!)

I'd love to get more information on this project. I don't have a lot of time to RP anymore but would love to hop on for some good RP when the time calls for it.

Also, I tried connecting to the RH link that you posted goat, but only saw x online. Is there a specific time where there are players online, or is the new MUSH up and running?

I always find these interesting, but I have weird social anxiety when it comes to in-character roleplaying, so I almost never wind up sticking with a heavily RP-focused MU* or other game. Even though I like the concept of them and think I'd like participating, I always feel inadequate when it comes right down to it.

So would I be interested? Yes, absolutely, and then I would talk myself out of it.

My initial experiences with forum roleplays really stretched out my skills as a writer back on a Golden Sun forum. I can't wait for a MUSH in which to further push myself....

Hey,
I've been a quiet member of this community for a fairly long time now and I have to say, the idea of a MUSH revival sounds very good to me. I for one would frequent it. :)

Hey,
I've been a quiet member of this community for a fairly long time now and I have to say, the idea of a MUSH revival sounds very good to me. I for one would frequent it. :)

Welcome to the forums!

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to combine a MUSH with other elements. For example, maybe you have your text role playing environment or lonewolf/NPC ship upgrading during the week, and then on the weekends people expand on events from the week with actual multiplayer Wing Commander games online in Prophecy or Armada.

Chris, here's another familiar face. :)
You know as Primate from the TCS Honour RPG a good decade or so ago?

Nice to see some of you are still alive and kicking. Created an account to comment. I haven't read all the thread, but the thought makes me wonder how MUSH populations are these days. Will one generate enough traffic to justify the work involved? I suspect kids these days wouldn't know a good text-based game if they saw one, and I for one have too many commitments to put forth the effort into a MUSH like I did back in college.

Edit: If anyone is wondering, I came across this while looking for something else. arctangent.net is my server and I gave Locke an account on it to run WCGZ.

Well I randomly searched for RH and came up with this as well, and also made an account to say somethin. Hey folks its ol Jacob Jameson (JJ) the crazy marine. ;) Strangely enough I was taking a shower and got to thinking about old RH and figured I'd do a search and see if any of you were still around. What's the word on this here?

Still alive and kickin'! I see a few people are still really interested in this project. Looks cool. Hi JJ, I remember you from back then, if vaguely. Sorry to take so long to reply to everyone, I'm presently getting back into the swing of things post-deployment. I rarely connect to RH because, well, I haven't even had the time to turn on my computer much these last several months!

Anyway, long story short, I've got a lot of ideas, will even have a site up when I get a coder, and am very excited to see people still interested!

Hmm. Anyone who reads this that wants to pester me in real time, log onto RH Friday at 830pm CST.

bum here (Locke Katayev, Scott Fletcher, R'ral nar Caxki aka Zerk Mk II). I'm still around these days and can provide some code if needed. Contact info is as follows:

Edit: Also as FC stated, I have a mush running off and on on his website that he graciously gave me. Unfortunately, Space has completely been knocked out of commission due to a server crash last year. And a lot of the code actually needs to be rewritten or reworked.

Edit #2: Also...I'd be more then welcome to help out, just need moral support, and a team that doesn't disappear.

Last edited:
Mmm. Red Horizon was fun, yes.

There were a few irritating things about it that I still think about from time to time that I really would prefer not to see continue in a new game though.

For example:
- No gigantic cloaking station/fleet belonging to Black Lance and Towlyn. I realize that was mostly to address the ruling that the Confederation had 'lost' against the Kilrathi (which left the Confederation with one very demoralized light carrier to fight the Kilrathi fleet), but it felt silly. Even more so when the Behemoth was added in...then promptly misfired th e only time it was used and was destroyed. Why bother, really? :) And if Confed had tech like that, wouldn't it have made more sense to mass produce it during wartime? Black Lance was a small covert ops unit for a reason in canon.
- A UBW that is a partner or neutral rather than a haven for pirates who raid Confed facilities. From WCIV we saw that they didn't have a great relationship with the Confederation, but it often felt like the UBW were as much enemies as the Kilrathi, and I never saw evidence that the Union supported criminals, so much as being a bit lenient on not asking questions about where gear was acquired. I'm all for independence with the UBW, but it was like the leaders there never really cared that if Confed fell, they'd be all alone against the Kilrathi. The funny part was, by the time Tolwyn took over and led the Confed into happy fascist land to invade the UBW, there weren't many characters left who weren't perfectly willing to go along with it based on the Union's past actions.
- NO SIVAR. Fine for a religion, but when Sivar literally manifested several times to intervene in events...c'mon. Unless Buddha, Thor, Gabriel, or someone similar gets to pop in to protect the poor Terrans...but it's best to leave Kilrathi mythological figures mythological and focus on the politics of the priesthood rather than introducing magical interdimensional beings into a sci fi game.
- Kilrathi that had the advantages that are canon...that being extremely large production and a ready supply of pilots, versus the Terran's lower numbers but better tech. The Kilrathi did have some cool toys...the cloaking bombers and the Sivar class dreadnought, for example. But when they have the same or better tech, massive resources, superior numbers...after a while it gets hard to suspend disbelief about why the Terrans aren't crushed. Even if it's only RP'd, this would be a nice touch. Could possibly be a matter of Kilrathi losses being replaced almost immediately while Terrans have to wait a certain period to get replacements for fighters or ships. Perhaps a bonus to Kilrathi pilots to represent that they're generally veterans due to constant warfare at the start of chargen.
- leave the civilian government NPC. I still cringe at the memory of the aborted attempt at creating a PC'd Senate for political RP. (seriously? We're in the middle of a war and the first action of the Senate is to suspend ALL MILITARY FUNDING because they want to investigate where Tolwyn got his money for the Black Lance?) Better to leave the Presidency and Senate in the hands of the RP admin as sources of plottage.

So...those are things that irritated me on the old mush.

Speaking of which, are there still plans from anyone to get this running? I'd be willing to assist with such, if necessary, but I can't make a dent in the level of work required by myself...

Ol' Josh Fowler! I remember you man, you were my CO on the TCS Churchill for a while ;-). Beyond the Fire's Hspace code was quite excellent and I would love to see it live on as well and applied to another Wing Commander mush in the future.

Wow man, hit me up on an email.

Good times on WC: Red Horizon

Ol' Josh Fowler! I remember you man, you were my CO on the TCS Churchill for a while ;-). Beyond the Fire's Hspace code was quite excellent and I would love to see it live on as well and applied to another Wing Commander mush in the future.

I remember once when Josh was the CDR of the TCS Churchill, I was moving around I think Vega and had a phone call. When i came back, the carrier had gone into the asteroids and took 10 percent hill damage before I could bring her clear. I pulled into dry dock at TCB Olympus and Admiral White asked, "what happened?!?" I told him , "Uh... I uh... hit a deer."

Which reminds me to again tip my hat to Captain Johnny again for the WCP map so long ago. If your around man, I'll send you a Kuwait postcard this time around!

- A UBW that is a partner or neutral rather than a haven for pirates who raid Confed facilities. From WCIV we saw that they didn't have a great relationship with the Confederation, but it often felt like the UBW were as much enemies as the Kilrathi, and I never saw evidence that the Union supported criminals, so much as being a bit lenient on not asking questions about where gear was acquired. I'm all for independence with the UBW, but it was like the leaders there never really cared that if Confed fell, they'd be all alone against the Kilrathi. The funny part was, by the time Tolwyn took over and led the Confed into happy fascist land to invade the UBW, there weren't many characters left who weren't perfectly willing to go along with it based on the Union's past actions.

Haha I remember that. 'Unification War'. Confees wiped out my beloved TGE but at least the Union stopped them cold in the Sirius debris field ;-).

I looked up Wing Commander: RH a few days ago out of nostalgia and I was pretty darn surprised to find this thread, although I think I'm several months late to the party.

*cricket*

I didn't know why Wing Commander: Red Horizon went down, but I really enjoyed my time there. It's nice to see that there are people around who are still trying to revive the MUSH. I'm looking forward to seeing the results, let me know if there's anything I can help with. By the way, this is Davis/Winston of the UBW and I miss my BW Mjollnir 1.

---edit: To the players of Ken Taylor and Kent Grayshade, if you ever see this. Hello there, I hope things are going well for you two.

I know this has been kicked around a ton of times, with a ton of false-starts and half-comptled projects. For anyone who's still interested in a Wing Commander MUSH, I present the following:

Wing Commander: Gemini Sector is set in 2657 (twelve years before the end of the Terran-Kilrathi war), focusing on the crew of a single Confed carrier deployed as part of a fleet trying to stop a large-scale Kilrathi assault into Gemini (Coindidentally, fitting into a time period that hasn't gotten fleshed out much in the main WC products). Kilrathi in front, corruption behind... plenty of room for craziness all around.

Right now, the game itself is nearly complete (though the game website is not), and just in need of a few minor adjustments before I take things live and crazy. Since there are more than a few familiar faces I've seen in this thread, I figured I'd give the lot of you first crack at coming by and taking a peek. For those of you who want more detail, feel free to contact me by PM, by e-mail: bossman@geminisector.com or by just showing up on the game. I'm mostly around evenings EST (after 8pm) due to my work schedule, but I'll be around intermittently during daytime hours as well.

Login information for the game: agrajag.rpg-works.net port 2657

Haha sloppy, you're right it's basically dead there. x sometimes unidles to say something but for the most part I'm the only one who occasionally sometimes every once in awhile logs on. I just checked out Decius's site and the game appears to be decently active. Looks like they've decided to go with focusing on the Confederation side of things which, given what little I saw of the system they use, is probably a good thing.

Back