Wing Commander movie reboot

We're aware of these guys. A Wing Commander revival would be great. I'd be game for another movie - reboot or otherwise - but right now there's more questions than answers (They don't appear to have actually cleared the rights yet). Grunt is WCA Grunt. Presumably they just haven't cast Blair yet as all the characters announced people are people involved with their production house.

A release in 2015? Premiering on April 1st, right? Sorry for the sceptical response, but I do not see why this person should be directing lead..

Well we know that the rights will be back to Chris @ 2015 ,but ..what is the IMDB source ?

The IMDB source appears to be the production company that has expressed an interest in doing it, but it seems like state of casting/release date/licensing rights/etc info may be premature.

Well we know that the rights will be back to Chris @ 2015 ,but ..what is the IMDB source ?

Those are the distribution rights for the existing movie. Chris Roberts has had the rights to make another movie or a TV show ever since he made the deal that allowed him to make the first movie. The options for making a movie are separate from the distribution rights.

With the fairly massive success of StarCitizen, I'd be surprised if EA just sat on their side of the Wing Commander rights.
This I don't know anything about that movie, but I'd expect them to try and reboot the franchise (hopefully not along the lines of the Syndicate reboot).

With the fairly massive success of StarCitizen, I'd be surprised if EA just sat on their side of the Wing Commander rights.
This I don't know anything about that movie, but I'd expect them to try and reboot the franchise (hopefully not along the lines of the Syndicate reboot).

Yes, I'd expect EA will go big with space sims in the near future... with their exclusive license to make new Star Wars games.

But hey, there's enough room in the marketplace for more than one space sim series. And if EA decides they'd also like to go back into their catalogue of well-known space sim IPs and make a non-Star Wars spacey game, then they have Mass Effect...

So I don't expect that EA will "reboot" or go all-in with WC anytime soon. Star Citizen or not, they have other more well-known brands that they can use in 2014 and beyond. BUT, this isn't 2004, and a big AAA EA Wing Commander isn't the only avenue in front of us. There are other possibilities for new Wing Commander these days.

Yes, I'd expect EA will go big with space sims in the near future... with their exclusive license to make new Star Wars games.

But hey, there's enough room in the marketplace for more than one space sim series. And if EA decides they'd also like to go back into their catalogue of well-known space sim IPs and make a non-Star Wars spacey game, then they have Mass Effect...

So I don't expect that EA will "reboot" or go all-in with WC anytime soon. Star Citizen or not, they have other more well-known brands that they can use in 2014 and beyond. BUT, this isn't 2004, and a big AAA EA Wing Commander isn't the only avenue in front of us. There are other possibilities for new Wing Commander these days.

The 2004 comment... is this relating to the diversity of development options these day or development rights?
Pardon my igonrance, who has the right to make a Wing Commander game these days? Chris Roberts has movie rights but not game rights, is that correct?

I'd forgotten about Star Wars, and yes that's a safer option certainly - a well known franchise with a history of high quality space combat games.
However, call me an optimist but based on the success of Star Citizen I'd like to think Wing Commander is a more compelling franchise than Mass Effect for a space combat title. Obviously the crowdfunding campaign for Star Citizen was a success due to a multitude of factors; but surely the fond memories associated with Wing Commander, Freelancer and other titles are a factor.
I know EA has tried branching out franchises into different genres many times before, but I can't off the top of my head think of a success story. Often it's a different fanbase, and whilst going with Mass Effects brand may pull in fans not exposed to the space combat genre it strikes me that as the success of Star Citizen is down to fond memories of titles like Wing Commander that it could actually be a more sensible bet.

Wow, that's pretty neat! However...
TOC.jpg

The 2004 comment... is this relating to the diversity of development options these day or development rights?
Pardon my igonrance, who has the right to make a Wing Commander game these days? Chris Roberts has movie rights but not game rights, is that correct?

Diversity of development options. A decade ago, our mantra was: boy, when EA finally gets around to making another Wing Commander, they're going to go big and it'll be huge! (because that's what they do!) A lot's changed since then, and I don't just mean Wing Commander Arena, although that's certainly one example of how new Wing Commander games could materialize in the form of quirky "side projects."

For one, yes, Star Citizen has changed the landscape somewhat. It shows there's still some space sim market out there, and there's more than just Chris Roberts out there successfully crowd funding games (even other space sim games, like the new Elite). But Chris Roberts' 2012 space sim project was Wing Commander's chance at the crowd funding game, and they missed out on that - that ship has sailed under the Star Citizen name.

Tablets and mobile are still full of potential, although perhaps slightly less so than a couple years ago. This is the frontier where you can try to do creative things with a relatively small budget. Ultima Forever is a good example of this. Similar to Mass Effect, "Dragon Age" is their hot RPG franchise which would be the logical title for an iOS game, but Ultima got green lighted through a special blend of luck, nostalgia and personality. UF's cancellation slightly dims this, but a similar scenario with Wing Commander is totally feasible.

There's also a niche PC counterpart to the tablet space I mentioned above. It comes in the form of app-store/Facebook/free to play type games. This was previously the realm of crap shovel ware, but some of the indie games and small time developers using platforms like Steam and GOG have done some very impressive things lately. Yes, EA nominally has the rights to do a game, but we've seen them loosen their grip lately - see Broadsword managing Ultima Online now. Also see Activision using the new Sierra label to coordinate with third party developers to relaunch classic franchises. I think there's some big potential somewhere here.

However, call me an optimist but based on the success of Star Citizen I'd like to think Wing Commander is a more compelling franchise than Mass Effect for a space combat title. Obviously the crowdfunding campaign for Star Citizen was a success due to a multitude of factors; but surely the fond memories associated with Wing Commander, Freelancer and other titles are a factor.
I know EA has tried branching out franchises into different genres many times before, but I can't off the top of my head think of a success story. Often it's a different fanbase, and whilst going with Mass Effects brand may pull in fans not exposed to the space combat genre it strikes me that as the success of Star Citizen is down to fond memories of titles like Wing Commander that it could actually be a more sensible bet.

From our perspective right here at the intersection of the Wing Commander and Star Citizen communities on the internet, this might sound really crazy, but from the buzz we've gathered over time, it seems like Electronic Arts isn't much impressed with Star Citizen - both as a space sim and of the following it's gathered. With a snazzy playable alpha released and as RSI approaches a $50 million haul, I understand how insane that sounds, but that's just the sense I've gotten consistently over the last couple years. But that's not meant to diminish the opportunities (plus other possibilities I might not have considered) mentioned earlier in this post - I think there are some creative options out there waiting for the right people to implement into the next Wing Commander game.

Last edited:
Strict military, cold-hearted.. perfect fit!

My first thoughts exactly. Would be interesting to see him adapt to the role - he'd be about the right age, and perhaps at times have to show a more human side than he did as Seether. You're right that Halcyon can be a cold hearted, regimented military man - his 'angry face' in WC1 genuinely intimidates me, and his tactics can be ruthless and for the greater good; Gimle 1: "Now lets burn those hairballs!"

At the same time he can be warm, understanding and sympathetic to his crew - like any good military leader.

Cheers Chris, some interesting thoughts.

I will say that there is a difference between Elite and Star Citizen. Elite barely scraped through it's Kickstarter, for a time it looked like it would fail, but then the initial presentation was comparatively substandard.

Interesting to hear about EA's internal views. Mobile games aren't really my thing, not fundamentally adverse to them, just the limitations of touchscreen. I was still holding out hope for a C&C style reboot. Nevermind.

Diversity of development options. A decade ago, our mantra was: boy, when EA finally gets around to making another Wing Commander, they're going to go big and it'll be huge! (because that's what they do!) A lot's changed since then, and I don't just mean Wing Commander Arena, although that's certainly one example of how new Wing Commander games could materialize in the form of quirky "side projects."

It should also be noted that EA has caught a lot of flack for their AAA game series in the last few years. Dragon Age 2 was derided by most everyone (I remember it dropping to $20 at Target after fourth months on the shelf) and the details behind people's dislike of the last Mass Effect game... right or wrong... also casts a long shadow. I could see them returning to WC as a matter of "damage control" / nostalgia for their brand name, but not because of a love for the series or the constant demand over the last decade.

As to this IMDB link about a new WC movie? Eh. Look kids, IMDB is as trustworthy as a broken-tooth pimp, a used car sales man dripping hairdye or Wikipedia. More over, the screenwriter (who has no other screenwriting credits) is also a producer on this. And the budget is 32 million? Okay, where did he get that? Hollywood and EA don't go around writing blank checks.

It seems like someone really wants to get noticed and have their dream get off the ground and IMDB is a good start. I wish them the best of luck but call me skeptical.

Last edited:
Wonder if we could perhaps shoot of an email to Robert Rusler and check some facts?
He has a website and contact info right?

It would be interesting - I mean, a 2015 release would mean primary filming would going strong right now - either wrapping up if it's a spring release, or starting if they plan a holiday 2015 release (there are long lead times - after primary filming it goes into post and VFX which can easily take months - 6-8 or more, and some movies are only "done" a few hours prior to premier!)

Then again, it could be a low budget film where VFX is limited in which case it can be rushed through. And given that most movies generally take about two years to plan out, film, edit, VFX and release, this one really would fly under the radar. (You got to get a script treatment, approval, scripts written, location scout, set production, sponsorship and funding, etc).

I dunno, I'm kinda worried it's a half-assed cheesy B-movie along the lines of Sharknado or something.

Back