Wing Commander Movie DVD

Shooter

Rear Admiral
OK, a question to the Europeans out there. Where the hell can I find the Wing Commander DVD in our fine continent ???
I've searched everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE (at least I think I did) and nothing... I knew I would have problems finding it in Portugal but man, in Europe ?... Help me out please.

Is there any good speacial features on the DVD? i saw it in a store but i idn't bother to check it out...

You can find Wc movie in Greece in every store you want.They still got it everywhere.....Well Its region 2 but the only features it got is a Trailer of the movie.....nothing else....

that's all for special features... i would thought there would be a making of or something.... oh well....

O.K., let me just fuel up my Vampire and to Greece I go ! :D
I've always wanted to see the Acropolis...

Who the hell invented this Region 1/Region 2/Region... crap anyway ?

Acropolis is waiting... By the way I never understood the regions too.They just dont want people to buy things from different "out of region" market.

Region 1 region blah blah blah crap was created because, due to certain differeing laws in differing countries, it is possible to release some DVDs earlier in one part of the world t hen another. To prevent this from cutting in on profit margins, the companies developed the region coding system. Thus, you can't order a DVD from a region 2 country if you're in the US, should said DVD be released earlier in region 2. You're forced to wait til it comes out in your region.

Originally posted by Bobbo1701
Region 1 region blah blah blah crap was created because, due to certain differeing laws in differing countries, it is possible to release some DVDs earlier in one part of the world t hen another. To prevent this from cutting in on profit margins, the companies developed the region coding system. Thus, you can't order a DVD from a region 2 country if you're in the US, should said DVD be released earlier in region 2. You're forced to wait til it comes out in your region.

So what's up with all of these multi-region players I'm hearing about. Are they illegal?

Originally posted by Bobbo1701
Region 1 region blah blah blah crap was created because, due to certain differeing laws in differing countries, it is possible to release some DVDs earlier in one part of the world t hen another.

It's not really about laws... more about economics and logistics...

Originally posted by Mav23
So what's up with all of these multi-region players I'm hearing about. Are they illegal?

No, they're not. Although finding a *good* one would probably be tough, as you have to worry about PAL or NTSC conversion too...

You can fairly easily watch any region DVD of any format on your PC DVD, though.

And off course there's Region 0, which is muti region (legal). I have a Terrahawks Region 0 DVD

IIRC (and I'm not *entirely* sure) 'Region 0' is a bit of a misnomer -- it refers to DVDs which have absolutely no region coding whatsoever and therefore can be played anywhere. But it's not actually a region...

Just a few quick notes on multi-region DVD players.

One type of multi-region DVD player doesn't check for the region. This can actually backfire, because some of the film companies have gotten wise to this, and supposedly designed their DVDs to not play if the player doesn't check.
Another type of multi-region DVD player allows the owner to manually reset the region number. So if you watch an American DVD, you set the region to 1. Then when you watch your raw region 2 anime DVD, you set the region to 2. This avoids the precaution listed above because the player always checks for a specific region - the trick is that the region can be changed.
Finally, PC DVD players come with the capability to play any region DVD. The problem with them is that the software on many of them only allows you to switch the region a few times before it locks into the final setting. There are freeware programs out there that you can download to 'fix' this, however.

There is a Add-On for the Playstation 2 that I've seen in a HMV store (UK) that turns it Multi-Region, I think it was £19.99

The PS2 was originally Region-Free when released in Japan due to faulty drivers uploaded to the System Management on the Memory Cards. There was a recall, as the original set of Memory Cards had a habit of deleting saved information at random.

Originally posted by LeHah
The PS2 was originally Region-Free when released in Japan due to faulty drivers uploaded to the System Management on the Memory Cards. There was a recall, as the original set of Memory Cards had a habit of deleting saved information at random.

Actually, the region free "bug" was dealt with through a BIOS update, iirc. I can't remember how it was implemented, though.

Well if you have the PS2 GameShark you can watch any region. But the PS2's DVD playing abilities are somewhat lacking, so...

Back