Wing Commander Meme of the Day: Distracted Boyfriend (April 6, 2018)

And yet she was no Claw.
You're making a very valid point here.
I guess it really depends on what carrier was your first. (Concordia in my case).

With that being said, I just can't imagine anyone feeling the same way about Vickie.
Anyone???

You're making a very valid point here.
I guess it really depends on what carrier was your first. (Concordia in my case).

With that being said, I just can't imagine anyone feeling the same way about Vickie.
Anyone???

I agree that your first one will be “the One“ for most people. And while I can't imagine anyone having special feelings for that flying shoe box with a hole through it, I'm pretty sure that those who played WC3 as their first WC game do have a soft spot for the Victory.

I agree that your first one will be “the One“ for most people. And while I can't imagine anyone having special feelings for that flying shoe box with a hole through it, I'm pretty sure that those who played WC3 as their first WC game do have a soft spot for the Victory.
I think you would be surprised just how much people who first played WC3 would appreciate the Victory. And I mean, it really was a very special carrier even to me, who had earlier played WC1, WC2, and Armada. What makes the Victory special to me, is the fact that you got to take off manually, and you got to land manually, and you got to joyride right through the carrier. That "flying shoe box with a hole through it" was ugly and uninspiring, but the player's experience with it was incredibly tangible compared to earlier carriers. That was the case for me, and I imagine it would be even more so for people for whom WC3 was their first game.

Come to think of it, that aspect of more direct interaction - I'm calling it tangibility, although it's obviously not the best word for it - was also really important when comparing the Tiger' Claw to the Concordia (or the Lexington/Shiraak in Armada). Because your landing in WC1 involved you flying around to the front of the carrier, and sometimes stopping in front of it, desperately pressing C for half a minute before your near-destroyed comms system kicked in, you got to see the Tiger's Claw and interact with it a lot more than you ever got to see the Concordia. In WC2, you could easily go through the whole game and barely even look at your own carrier from space (other than cutscenes, of course).

I wouldn't be surprised at all. I was surprised many years ago when I realized that WC3 was for many the first WC game they played and that they loved it. WC3 had been for a long time my least favourite WC game. It probably still is but I have come to appreciate it more. Yet, the Confed ship designs always struck me as particularily bland. And the Victory was especially bland. I didn't even like the "fly through aspect" very much.

And when I originally played WC2 (and for some time after), I never realized that I could land from behind on the Concordia. I always manoeuvred my ship to the front of Concordia just as I was used with the Claw.

I started with WC2 in the summer of 96, so Concordia was my first, and always has a special place in my heart.

The Victory wasn't flashy but she was the Carrier we needed her to be. When the chips were down Tin Can Sally was there.

The Tiger's Claw was A legend in the war thanks to the background provided by Claw Marks. She reminded me of the Galactica from the Original Battlestar Galactica.

Back