Wing Commander makes the top 5 at Space Dock

Adm_maverick

Rear Admiral
Hey guys,

the Sci-Fi space ship discussion channel SpaceDock recently posted his top 5 Sci-Fi Carriers and Wing Commander ships actually make the list at both 3rd place (Bengal Class Carrier) and at 1st place with the Vesuvius class Heavy Carrier.

Just now watching this my own self. Was going to report it but I've been beaten to it...

@Howard Day, your Bengal-class model got props. Nice to see you get some attribution for once.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's really awesome to see such a high profile sci-fi YouTuber who's also a huge Wing Commander fan. He really does the gaming community a major service by dropping in more obscure references alongside Star Wars and other typical fare.

Recognition is great, but... ugh, the Vesuvius at numer one? Sheesh, there's just no accounting for taste :). Bengal, Confederation, the Midway... I could understand any of those, but the Vesuvius? Ah, well.

Well - the Vesuvius carry 400 fighters - Midway just around 250. So it is the better carrier. Also he dislike the Midway internal railsystem. The Vesuvius is a better armed and bigger Yorktown - some style of classic carrier. But in Firepower the Vesuvius has the armament of more then four Tallahassee Cruiser.

Recognition is great, but... ugh, the Vesuvius at numer one? Sheesh, there's just no accounting for taste :). Bengal, Confederation, the Midway... I could understand any of those, but the Vesuvius? Ah, well.

He does spell out his logic and thinking to his ranking, and while I don't agree with his thinking for what makes one ship better then another, I can understand it. Though I do have to agree with his estimation of the Midway class. It was just too big of a ship for what it was, and because it was trying to be a jack-of-all trades, he does kind of fail at being really good at any of them. The Vesuvius really does live up to the idea of the "Victory, but upscaled by a factor of 10". So Yeah, I can understand how he considers it to be better then the MidWay, or the Bengal but I don't agree with him. Personally I would put the YorkTown class as a better design. I mean 20 years service, a stream lined design that can make the long haul, good support facilities for it's fighter wings... nice!

If we are correct, the Bengal is as a Strike Carrier also a Battleship Hybrid. The 4 guns on the sides we see in the Venice Cutscene are bigger then the normal Laser turrets. So we think thats Heavy Neutron turrets like the tripple turret from the Exeter.

Bengal as Strike Carrier have near the same role as Battlestar Galactica
Confederation - Dreadnought.
Vesuvius - Super Carrier and Battleship too

In fact the real carriers are the Yorktown and Concordia class - take the planes into the fight but not itself engaged. Just Standard laser turrets for AA Defense.

Back